Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Now Available - Native Apple Silicon Editor Preview Builds

Discussion in '2021.2 Beta' started by KevinWelton, Jun 8, 2021.

1. AntonVazhinsky

AntonVazhinsky

Hooray, I also wrote about this problem earlier)

embraceware likes this.
  2. ryanmillerca

ryanmillerca

That's great! Thanks for the update.

embraceware likes this.
  3. marchall_box

marchall_box

I am using Unity 2020 LTS for my project and wanted to get Macbook M1 Max 16 inch. Would regular (non scilicon version) Unity 2020 LTS editor work just fine on Macbook M1 Max 16 inch?

4. nooxouille

nooxouille

Using an m1 from last year, the editor is struggling a bit on 2D android game I work on. Like, going into play mode and compiling script is taking longer than on an heavier configuration windows machine.

It is doable, and even tho the 2 configurations are quite different (the windows one is like, 2080 ti something, S*** loads of ram and disk space, boosted ssd, ryzen 9 cpu, and so on), be aware that it is still clanky because well, the damn thing is running through Rosetta. That being said, it is running well for something ... well, running un-natively. Getting either the m1 pro / max version of this year MacBook isn't a bad move as more and more softwares will follow the "native app" path. The paint is still a bit fresh, but hey, look ahead : theses machines are stupidly powerful, go get one ffs :D

5. marchall_box

marchall_box

Wait, are you saying it takes shorter to compile on M1?

Also, are you using regular Unity? or the Apple Scilicon version? (because I am looking into using 2020 LTS on M1 Max)

6. marchall_box

marchall_box

Would 2021 LTS include proper support for Apple M1 series natively?

7. nooxouille

nooxouille

The opposite, in fact. It takes longer on the m1, using the emulated version of unity (2020, so not the native version of it).
    But the performances are quite correct for it, considering it isn't running natively.

The 2021 will indeed include the m1 support, if I've understood correctly.

8. ryanmillerca

ryanmillerca

Considering 2021.2 betas support apple silicon right now, yes. It is safe to say 2021.2 LTS (once it's in LTS) will support Apple Silicon natively.

nico_st_29 and francisIsFine like this.
  9. marchall_box

marchall_box

When would 2021.2 LTS be released with Apple Silicon native support?

francisIsFine likes this.
  10. ryanmillerca

ryanmillerca

The answer to that can only be estimated afaik. Unity engineers are working hard to get the 2021.2 release out of beta. We're not at official release yet. LTS will come after that. If you want it to happen quicker, consider hopping in on the beta and helping out by reporting bugs.

embraceware likes this.
  11. anatolyV

anatolyV

Yeah it feels a ways off still. I'd expect months before a production ready native build. It mostly works great but it feels like the usual last 10% that takes the longest. Although most issues I've encountered are not M1 specific but rather 2021.2 general beta issues, so who knows.

12. marchall_box

marchall_box

If I install windows on M1 Max and install Unity 2020 Lts, do you think it would perform as expected compare to i9 11900f like below estimation?
    https://nanoreview.net/en/cpu-compare/intel-core-i9-11900f-vs-apple-m1-max

Also window performance for M1 : Parallels’ official numbers are impressive. They say M1 Macs use 250% less energy than a 2020 Intel MacBook Air, and get up to 60% better DirectX 11 performance than an Intel MacBook Pro. And running Windows on an M1 Mac? Thirty-percent faster than running it on a Core i9 Intel MacBook Pro. https://www.lifewire.com/your-m1-mac-can-run-windows-faster-than-a-pc-5179652

I really would like to take this advantage of powerful "mobile" hardware!

13. ryanmillerca

ryanmillerca

There aren't any real benchmarks out for M1 Max yet so that's not really anything to go on. M1 runs Unity faster than a new i7 in my own tests. M1 Max might not be much faster than M1 in single-core, but it will still do very well. The real benefit of M1 Max will be multi-core jobs and of course, graphics related work! I'm expecting some incredible light baking times.

[Update: CPU benchmarks have surfaced, showing no significant difference in single core performance https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/search?q=macbookpro18 but big gains in GPU performance https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/compute/3557857]

I haven't heard of Unity running at all on ARM Windows. Last I heard it was limited to 32 bit apps, not sure if that has changed. I have doubts re: MacOS running Parallels running Windows Arm running x86 virtualized Unity3D. You'll definitely be better off running it MacOS native.

It will be fun to see the real benchmarks and consumer/developer experiences surface online as people begin to receive their machines. I want to take the leap and buy one of these new pros but my M1 Air is faster than my gaming PC right now - not really any need to go faster yet.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
  14. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

2020 LTS doesn't run natively on Apple silicon chips, and therefore runs significantly slower than 2021.2 native builds. People are using Unity on Apple silicon devices through Rosetta and while the results really aren't bad, if you get to choose a Unity version and your main development machine is an Apple silicon Mac, I'd suggest using 2021.2 native builds instead.

15. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Hey @vis2k, we're still trying to figure what's going on there, but our current suspicion is it is related to M1 having less cores than Intel macbook pros. I'm sorry this is taking so long: the bug has been bounced around several teams as we're still not 100% sure what is the underlying reason for this behaviour.

16. Samus4145

Samus4145

Just installed b16. Fresh project, flickering still seems to be an issue in game mode and entire scene disappears randomly while working. I guess I'll stick to the Intel versions for now.

17. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

The fix for that landed right after b16 was cut. It will be fixed in the next build.

nico_st_29 likes this.
  18. Samus4145

Samus4145

Ooooh. I like what I am hearing!

19. mischa2k

mischa2k

Thanks for sharing!
    Even compared to 2015 macbook pro?
    Would assume that even if it has fewer cores, with the cores being significantly faster it should be at least similar performance?

20. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

We compared it to 2019 macbook so far. But we're not done investigating yet.

mischa2k likes this.
  21. mischa2k

mischa2k

I was gonna give it to apple, but lmk if you want me to run any tests on the 2015 macbook.

22. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Sure. Something still doesn't add up...

23. tanglikho

tanglikho

How can i uninstall the beta version?

24. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

Go to "/Applications/Unity" and drag "Unity" and "Unity Bug Reporter" to the trash. This would leave the "Hub" folder if you have the Hub installed. If the folder is empty, you can just remove it.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
  25. ryanmillerca

ryanmillerca

Is the iOS Support package supposed to work with M1? UnitySetup-iOS-Support-for-Editor-2021.2.0b16.pkg

I get "The Installation failed. - the installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance." warning at the final step of the installer.

26. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

It should work, that's weird that it gives you that error. Perhaps the download got corrupted? I just tried yesterday on that same beta and it worked.

27. ryanmillerca

ryanmillerca

Hm! That's odd. I re-downloaded fresh and tried again with the same result. I wonder what's going on... Is there a log for this installer somewhere that I can pull more info out of?

Also found this post, of what seems like the same issue https://forum.unity.com/threads/uni...r-2018-4-20f1-fails-to-install-on-mac.861019/ but older version and essentially unsolved for cases like this where we can't use Hub.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
  28. qliloushq

qliloushq

Hello. Installed build 2021.2.0.b2 for apple silicon m1 (mac mini). I installed a module to build for android. But there is no OpenJDK in the android assembler and the android build module itself is not displayed in the hub. Is it possible to get OpenJDK for this build somewhere? Perhaps you can use OpenJDK - from other versions of Unity?

mrmachine likes this.
  29. xubaigame

xubaigame

I'm glad we now have a version that works with apple ailicon, but I wonder if there will be a unityhub that native works with apple silicon. If so, how long before we see it?

embraceware likes this.
  30. embraceware

embraceware

I was able to install it - but to do so it required having System Preferences > Security & Privacy open to grant each package access before it would install. I'm guessing these beta packages are not signed?

31. qliloushq

qliloushq

has anyone managed to configure the build for android? currently, when exporting a project to android studio, I get an error that no ndk was found.
    ((openjdk - zulu-8.jdk, sdk - 31.0.3, gradle:7.0.3, ndk - from unity 2020.3.14.f1)

32. Miun_Y

Miun_Y

Bear with me! I´m confused, what would be the at least somewhat working version to download for Apple silicon at the moment? I just want to do quite basic stuff, I have point cloud files that I would like to do some recording with, no games. Now I have 2020.3.20f1 and it´s basically unusable. Thanks so much!

33. PutridEx

PutridEx

Latest 2021.2 beta. I believe you need to download the apple silicon version from the beta patch notes page.
    You won't find it on the unity hub yet

Miun_Y likes this.
  34. Miun_Y

Miun_Y

@PutridEx thanks so much! Will give it a go!

35. Volcore

Volcore

36. lawsonh

lawsonh

Has anyone tested the non-beta Unitys (2019,2020) on new M1 Max yet? is it comparable to intel chips yet?

37. sameng

sameng

Since the core responsiveness of Unity is still mostly single threaded, and that M1 Max has the same single-thread performance as the normal M1, I doubt it's any faster. Perhaps apple's rosetta layer gets a speedup, but at the end of the day, intel-Unity needs to compile twice every time you change a script.

But building the player and compiling shaders will be faster due to the multiple cores, and baking lighting should be extremely much faster. The viewport should also be significantly faster due to the improved GPUs.

But I am pretty sure changing scripts -> entering play mode will still be slow, since the machine needs to compile it 2x.

I'll be happy to post some times when I get mine tomorrow, and compare it to the previous highest-end i9 16". So excited!

38. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

I would post this question over in the Hub forum. The good news is that Hub perf is pretty good under Rosetta. And since we require Rosetta anyway for the Editor, it hasn't been the top priority. But posting there will get you more relevant responses from the Hub team.

39. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Hey guys, we just released an update to Unity Hub (3.0.0-beta.6) which now supports installing native Apple silicon editor. Could you perhaps try installing these components through the hub and see if it fixes your issues?

See https://forum.unity.com/threads/installing-the-native-apple-silicon-editor.1188253/

40. TijilAgrawal

TijilAgrawal

Nice decision by Unity people

41. lawsonh

lawsonh

They later said that it will be backported to 2020 but not 2019

McGravity likes this.
  42. ryanmillerca

ryanmillerca

Thanks. A few issues with the new hub...
    • It lists my Apple Silicon editors as "Intel" for 2021.2.b12 and 2021.2b16 though I know they are Apple Silicon
    • When I click the gear next to the editor version, my only options are Reveal In Finder and Remove from Hub.
    • I can't install 2021.2 b16, or any patches in the 2021.2.x release through the Hub. Only 2021.2.0f and 2022.1.0a12 are available.

43. embraceware

embraceware

Regarding that first point - I had that issue with the versions that I installed outside of the Hub. Once I removed them and reinstalled using the Hub the Apple Silicon tag appeared correctly. It just doesn't seem to detect correctly if you install outside of the Hub.

ryanmillerca likes this.
  44. TijilAgrawal

TijilAgrawal

Oh

45. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

I assume these are for builds installed via installers manually and not via the hub? Hub doesn't really allow doing much with them, it mostly focuses on managing the builds you install via the hub.

I believe to install older releases via the hub you have to use "Install with Hub" button in the download archive, but I'm told it doesn't work for installing Apple silicon editor yet. They're working on it.

46. HarutL

HarutL

Hi, I've just downloaded Unity hub 3 and installed Unity 2021.2.0f1 apple silicon version, and it crashed when I try to open my project, it crashes when trying to import .mov file.

47. ryanmillerca

ryanmillerca

Thanks, uninstalling and reinstalling with Hub fixed it. Also, disregard what I said about 2021.2.b16 not showing up; I noticed that 2021.2.0f1 got released and is technically newer! iOS module installed just fine through Hub and I'm able to make builds.

48. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

LeonhardP likes this.
  49. patrickjarnfelt

patrickjarnfelt

The Silicon version of 2021.2.0f1 crashes on my M1 in a completely new project when opening a folder in the project view.

=================================================================
    Native Crash Reporting
    Got a segv while executing native code. This usually indicates
    a fatal error in the mono runtime or one of the native libraries
    used by your application.

Native stacktrace:
    0x161907d8c - /Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor/2021.2.0f1/Unity.app/Contents/Frameworks/MonoBleedingEdge/MonoEmbedRuntime/osx/libmonobdwgc-2.0.dylib : mono_dump_native_crash_info
    0x1618ca368 - /Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor/2021.2.0f1/Unity.app/Contents/Frameworks/MonoBleedingEdge/MonoEmbedRuntime/osx/libmonobdwgc-2.0.dylib : mono_handle_native_crash
    0x161852be4 - /Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor/2021.2.0f1/Unity.app/Contents/Frameworks/MonoBleedingEdge/MonoEmbedRuntime/osx/libmonobdwgc-2.0.dylib : mono_sigsegv_signal_handler_debug
    0x196cc2c44 - /usr/lib/system/libsystem_platform.dylib : _sigtramp
    0x104efcefc - /Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor/2021.2.0f1/Unity.app/Contents/MacOS/Unity : _ZN18TcpProtobufSession10BeginBatchEv
    0x104de4eb0 - /Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor/2021.2.0f1/Unity.app/Contents/MacOS/Unity : _ZN16RemoteAssetCache21DownloadMetadataAsyncERK13dynamic_arrayI30ArtifactStaticDependenciesHashLm0EEN4core8functionIFvRS0_IS0_IhLm0EELm0EEEEE
    0x104de7770 - /Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor/2021.2.0f1/Unity.app/Contents/MacOS/Unity : _ZN16RemoteAssetCache19UploadMetadataAsyncERK30ArtifactStaticDependenciesHashRK13dynamic_arrayIhLm0EES6_S6_N4core8functionIFvbEEE
    0x104df42ac - /Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor/2021.2.0f1/Unity.app/Contents/MacOS/Unity : _ZN4core16mutable_functionIFvvEE9DispatchTIZN9IOService10PostHelperIZN16RemoteAssetCache29AddArtifactToCacheServerAsyncERK11ArtifactKeyRKN13AssetDatabase10ArtifactIDENS_8functionIFvbEEEE4$_19EEvOT_NS4_25WrapCallableInFunctionTagEEUlvE_E8DispatchEv
    0x104f2aa68 - /Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor/2021.2.0f1/Unity.app/Contents/MacOS/Unity : _ZN4asio6detail18completion_handlerIN4core16mutable_functionIFvvEEEE11do_completeEPNS0_15task_io_serviceEPNS0_25task_io_service_operationERKNSt3__110error_codeEm
    0x104f27ea4 - /Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor/2021.2.0f1/Unity.app/Contents/MacOS/Unity : _ZN4asio6detail15task_io_service10do_run_oneERNS0_11scoped_lockINS0_11posix_mutexEEERNS0_27task_io_service_thread_infoERKNSt3__110error_codeE
    0x104f27a20 - /Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor/2021.2.0f1/Unity.app/Contents/MacOS/Unity : _ZN4asio6detail15task_io_service3runERNSt3__110error_codeE
    0x104f23728 - /Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor/2021.2.0f1/Unity.app/Contents/MacOS/Unity : _ZN9IOService3RunEb
    0x104f22c70 - /Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor/2021.2.0f1/Unity.app/Contents/MacOS/Unity : _ZN9IOService4Impl14ThreadFunctionEPv
    0x103a08c6c - /Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor/2021.2.0f1/Unity.app/Contents/MacOS/Unity : _ZN6Thread16RunThreadWrapperEPv
    0x196c77878 - /usr/lib/system/libsystem_pthread.dylib : _pthread_start
    0x196c725e0 - /usr/lib/system/libsystem_pthread.dylib : thread_start

Telemetry Dumper:
    Thread 0x17f8b7000 may have been prematurely finalized* Assertion at mono-threads.c:702, condition `info' not met, function:mono_thread_info_current,
    Failed to upload artifact(artifact id=5ea9e2082b4475d0a18d090784697f8e, static dependencies=a05e5dd52203b2c9ce3b191d7c0f71ba, content hash=2178a8a0fa8308fcfa83c6c3cf779a0c) to cacheserver
    AcceleratorClientConnectionCallback - disconnected - :0

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
  50. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

The porting work for the Unity Editor to Apple silicon was an extensive enough effort that we do not expect to be backporting the work to the 2020 LTS. It would take resources away from our stabilization efforts for the current release that we'd rather put to making the current supported version (2021.2) more stable and reliable.

LeonhardP likes this.