Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Now Available - Native Apple Silicon Editor Preview Builds

Discussion in '2021.2 Beta' started by KevinWelton, Jun 8, 2021.

1. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

The download link has been updated to use a direct link for downloading the Unity.pkg. This should help alleviate any pain experienced around that particular download.

endangeredAnimal and sk0g like this.
  2. sk0g

sk0g

Yes, but I can boot Unity back up quicker than a single compile used to take before, so I don't mind them a great amount! Mostly happening to me when a compile is kicked off for an invalid script, like having unfinished lines etc.

3. Phil_Z

Phil_Z

Unity Technologies

Because this is a preview release, there will be crashes. We are in the process of fixing as many as we can find, but because Unity is enormous, you all might find them with your favorite feature before we can ;) Please feel free to file bugs with the Unity Bug Reporter found in /Applications/Unity and we will get to them as soon as we can.

Muckel likes this.
  4. hlongvu

hlongvu

Firebase SDK not working with ARM Editor (look like firebase not include ARM dll in its sdk)
    Anyone have tried using Firebase?

aromana likes this.
  5. UAS

UAS

My entire 2D game projects works fine upon initial test.
    I do have minor hiccups on migrating 2020.3 to 2021.2a19 but easily fixable.
    I have few minor crashes/hang on my plugins if they are doing intense stuff.
    I experienced a crash while importing a package, but just probably coz my chrome (with couple tabs) is open

6. endangeredAnimal

endangeredAnimal

tbh, the editor hasn't crashed even once for me

bryan-levitade, Phil_Z and Aras like this.
  7. oddurmagg

oddurmagg

How is this handling loading native DLL's ?

8. antonkudin

antonkudin

Not sure if its this version's issue, but I'm using new input system and when I press WASD i get system's 'key was pressed, but application didn't know what to do with it or isn't responding' ding sound. On loop, as I hold the button. At same time character does move! I do click game view to make sure its focused.
    UPD. Seem to be fine after restart, then it bugs out again after some time.

9. bricefr

bricefr

Just a question, why those - Apple Silicon - alpha binaries aren't included for distribution through the Hub? Just wondering...

10. mkristof

mkristof

I can locate the Unity 2021.2.0a20 (Alpha) in the Unity Hub... so that version isn't Apple Silicon supported?

11. youssefsbs8

youssefsbs8

No its not!

12. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

Right now native DLLs must be either Apple silicon-only or Universal binaries. We are working on UI for the plugin manager that will let you specify platform as you can for Windows.

Phil_Z likes this.
  13. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

Right now the only way to get Apple silicon Editor preview builds is through this thread.

That will change in the future. When the Hub does support it, the current plan is to have UI that lets Apple silicon users choose which version to download. I expect that is a few months out.

rmb303, NotaNaN, mariandev and 2 others like this.
  14. bricefr

bricefr

Thanks for your time and keeping us updated like you do, it really does help to plan our works ;)

NotaNaN, mischa2k, Phil_Z and 2 others like this.
  15. Phil_Z

Phil_Z

Unity Technologies

If part of the Firebase SDK contains any native DLLs, then Firebase would have to provide an update that runs natively on an M1 Mac.

Many 3rd party packages will probably need updates, which is another reason why we are providing this preview so early. :)

Muckel, mariandev and Neonlyte like this.
  16. Muckel

Muckel

hello,
    well many thx for the alpha…
    just checked it on my M1 Mini 16GB ram…
    new project works… but if i‘ll import my last it crashes when importing PNG‘s…
    looks like a memory issues…
    well with a new project and export to mobile…
    it‘s really fast now… editor too…
    way faster as on windows…
    Apple ARM … it looks like this will be the killer platform in the future…
    way faster as windows …
    time for payback hehe
    all this cheap cheap hardware user … it sucks…
    thx
    M.

17. antonkudin

antonkudin

Sprite Editor incredibly slow for no reason when docked.
    EDIT:
    See this warning spammed:
    Internal: JobTempAlloc has allocations that are more than 4 frames old - this is not allowed and likely a leak
    EDIT2: Looks like Audio Mixer also has this exact issue. Slow and spamming errors if docked and visible.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  18. sk0g

sk0g

So with the release of 2021.2.0 beta1, what's the plan for this? Are we going to see further concurrent updates here, or will it be mainlined into a future beta release?

19. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

We will provide updates periodically. I expect we will have another one early next week. We'll definitely provide updates for any build that has fixes for the known issues linked in the release post above.

20. mischa2k

mischa2k

Thanks to you and your team for the effort.
    It brings a lot of value, first time in years that I've seen Unity run this smoothly.

Maybe this was answered already, but do you guys know why compilation/reimport is still significantly slower both in rosetta version and native version?

21. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Will this be merged in the regular releases before the beta ends?

22. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Slower compared to what? And do you have any specific numbers? From what we've seen, native Apple silicon editor does everything much faster than the Rosetta one.

It's not built from a separate code base, it's just that we don't have the publishing pipeline set up for those installers yet. It gets built from the exact same changesets as non-Apple silicon 2021.2 editor builds.

23. mischa2k

mischa2k

Did some more testing. First, regular Unity workflow of saving a script, recompiling, building the project is insanely fast.

If you are familiar with UNET, Mirror (or MLAPI I suppose), we do IL Weaving where we modify assemblies after compilation.

Compared to my Macbook Pro 2015 with 2.2 Ghz Intel CPU, this is significantly slower in Apple Silicon Unity Editor:
    2021-06-23_19-23-37@2x.png
    Regular unit tests are 3.5x faster, which is crazy.
    Benchmarks ingame are also 3-4x faster.

Weaving however is 2.5x slower compared to the 6 year old Intel CPU laptop.
    We use Mono.Cecil for weaver, which is a managed C# DLL.
    From the numbers, it sounds like somewhere in the process some old non-apple-silicon code is being run?

To reproduce, simply download Mirror https://github.com/vis2k/Mirror , open in Unity, run the Weaver tests:
    2021-06-23_19-27-25@2x.png
    Note that they all pass. It works as expected, it's just significantly slower.

Let me know if there's anything else I can provide.

24. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Interesting, I don't know why that is. If you're running Cecil in the editor process, it should run natively. Could you file a bug so it doesn't get lost?

25. mischa2k

mischa2k

Sure. I'll try to create a more simple repro and see if I notice anything myself too.

26. trilobyteme

trilobyteme

Is A19 the latest build for Apple Silicon, or is there a beta build available?

Wolfos likes this.
  27. ryanslikesocool

ryanslikesocool

2021.2.0a19 is the latest Silicon version available. We should(?) be getting a beta version early next week, according to this post.
    Now Available - Native Apple Silicon Editor Preview Builds

28. davidallan1703

davidallan1703

Is anyone else having issues opening existing projects in the native builds? When loading it, I always seem to get stuck on importing. Usually around the "com.unity.collab-proxy" package.

The last thing the Log lists when this happens is :
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Launching external process: /Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/Tools/UnityShaderCompiler
    2. Launched and connected shader compiler UnityShaderCompiler after 0.13 seconds
    3. Launching external process: /Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/Tools/UnityShaderCompiler
    4. Launched and connected shader compiler UnityShaderCompiler after 0.04 seconds
    5. Launching external process: /Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/Tools/UnityShaderCompiler
    6. Launched and connected shader compiler UnityShaderCompiler after 0.04 seconds
    7. Launching external process: /Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/Tools/UnityShaderCompiler
    8. Launched and connected shader compiler UnityShaderCompiler after 0.04 seconds
    9. Launching external process: /Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/Tools/UnityShaderCompiler
    10. Launched and connected shader compiler UnityShaderCompiler after 0.05 seconds
    11. Launching external process: /Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/Tools/UnityShaderCompiler
    12. Launched and connected shader compiler UnityShaderCompiler after 0.05 seconds
    13. Launching external process: /Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/Tools/UnityShaderCompiler
    14. Launched and connected shader compiler UnityShaderCompiler after 0.04 seconds
    I'm running on the 2020 MBA Entry model (M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD)

The only way I can get the native editor to load so far, is to use the `-noUpm` flag, which obviously causes compiler errors.

UPDATE: By copying the projects assets into a fresh project folder by folder, I was able to load my project. But after reloading the editor, I get stuck on "Importing (Iteration 2)"

UPDATE 2: This largely seems to be related to prefabs, when the editor gets stuck on reloading, I'm now seeing that its loading my prefabs, and removing the folders with my prefabs in allows the editor to load. Its weird that when the editor is open, Prefabs load correctly

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
  29. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

We'll get a new build posted in the next few days.

okk34, Hendrik-Mans, RDeluxe and 7 others like this.
  30. sk0g

sk0g

Fingers crossed the new version comes out in time for the weekend!

Not sure if this is the known issue WRT lighting baking, but when I try to bake (URP) lightmaps it exponentially increases the ETA, ending up at 20+ minutes after 30 seconds or so. CPU, GPU lightmapper both have the same behaviour. Would be amazing if this was fixed!

31. Hendrik-Mans

Hendrik-Mans

The first time I tried the currently available a19 editor, I was a bit disappointed since it couldn't even render the URP template's default scene (but maybe I was holding it wrong), but I've now tried opening my current project in it (which also happens to use URP), and it mostly seems to work fine (some small bugs here and there, like certain Start actions not being invoked the first time I entered Play Mode.)

Having said that, the thing I was most eager to try was code compilation/reloading, which isn't great using 2021.2b1 for Intel (on M1), and... holy crap! It was superfast! What was taking around 10-15 seconds in the Intel editor took maybe 3-4 seconds in the native Silicon one. That's super super cool and promising, and I'm now looking forward to future alpha/betas of this (and, of course, the eventual release.)

Thank you & good job!

marwanzaky likes this.
  32. jaslan

jaslan

2021.2 beta 2 just released for Intel, awaiting for Apple Silicon :):):)

33. sk0g

sk0g

Does the page [0] not just include the Apple Silicon editor already, or are my eyes deceiving me? Does this mean we can install it using Hub now?

[0] https://unity3d.com/unity/beta/2021.2.0b2

EDIT: in contrast to below, Hub install fetches an Intel version.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
  34. ryanslikesocool

ryanslikesocool

Can confirm that the release available here is 2021.2.0b2 for Apple Silicon!
    Screen Shot 2021-07-02 at 11.09.12 AM.png

EDIT: It seems that URP requires the Burst Compiler now. Since Burst isn't Apple Silicon ready, URP projects will always have Burst errors :(

ilexixeli likes this.
  35. Hendrik-Mans

Hendrik-Mans

Thanks for the new beta! I downloaded the Apple Silicon build directly off the release page. Considering that Unity Hub is still an Intel app, I would not have expected it to be able to auto-detect that it should download and install the Silicon build of the new release.

Running the thing, I'm also seeing errors around Burst, but generally speaking, the beta appears to be working fine with my URP project. I'm mainly seeing errors like this:

Code (csharp):
    1. InvalidOperationException: Burst failed to compile the function pointer `Int32 DoGetCSRTrampoline()`
    Edit: was even able to generate a universal build for the project, but had to choose "Clean Build" from the dropdown to make it work.

36. ilexixeli

ilexixeli

2021.2.0b2 has been working great for me on my M1 Air - no more random crashes, super-fast compile times, makes developing fun again - thanks to everyone involved!

37. jaslan

jaslan

this beta 2 seems working great for me... no crashes at my side as well

ilexixeli and PutridEx like this.
  38. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

Thanks for your patience everyone. I am putting 2021.2.0b2 through the wringer now before I post here with the corresponding list of issues. For those of you that are using the direct download page, please remember that only the builds posted here can be guaranteed to have been put through a minimal test suite as we get everything online. Just keep it in mind.

SurreyMuso and mischa2k like this.
  39. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

Apple silicon Editor preview 2021.2.0b2 is available to download!

This is a preview build and will have bugs. Please report new issues in the editor by clicking the “Help” menu and selecting “Report a Bug”.

Known Issues

The CPU lightmapper causes the Apple silicon mac editor to crash
    Importing an .mp4 or .mov crashes the Apple silicon mac editor
    Apple Silicon Editor - Moving Timeline clip causes visual glitches
    [GPU PLM][M1] Editor freezes during GI bake on Apple Silicon machine when certain lightmapping settings are used
    [M1][macOS] Artifacts in Game and Scene view after opening certain a project on Apple Silicon machine
    Plugin inspector in the editor doesn't allow selecting CPU architecture for editor plugins
    • Workaround: Use universal binaries for native plugins
    [iOS] Some files in WebGL and iOS support installers have changed permission from 2021.1.0a2
    • Workaround for WebGL: sudo chmod +r /Applications/Unity/PlaybackEngines/WebGLSupport/BuildTools/lib/modules/* as well as sudo chmod +r /Applications/Unity/PlaybackEngines/WebGLSupport/BuildTools/lib/modules_development/*

• Workaround for iOS: sudo chmod +r /Applications/Unity/PlaybackEngines/iOSSupport/Trampoline/Libraries/*

Download the editor and components for 2021.2.0b2 here.

Havokki likes this.
  40. ryanslikesocool

ryanslikesocool

Any idea if/when we'll get updated app icons? It's getting tedious replacing them with every new install to match the rest of the system.

rmb303 and Havokki like this.
  41. youssefsbs8

youssefsbs8

After Create New Project, Many errors how to solve that? Screen Shot 2021-07-08 at 1.36.47 PM.png

42. trilobyteme

trilobyteme

I see 2021.2b3 is now available. Does the M1 editor still require manual installation, or can we use the Unity Hub installer for it?

rmb303 likes this.
  43. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

It still requires manual installation for now.

44. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

Burst does not yet work with the native Apple silicon editor. I will add it to the list of known issues.

45. trilobyteme

trilobyteme

Sounds good, thanks for the clarification.

46. Per

Per

All standard packages are missing when trying to create a new project. The only way is to use an older project or download the URP and HDRP demos as starting points. Documentation fails to install. Dollying is broken on ALT+RMB. Will check other stuff later.

Launch performance while better than before is still very poor (though not as poor as Unreal).

It's been a while so apologies if this is been in there for many versions but I'm not a huge fan of docking the "Tools" in the viewport by default. That you can do it isn't necessarily reason to do it unless there's some trailblazing going on, which isn't the case here. It creates the impression of clutter and piecemeal design and adds more content to obscure the UI region you need most clarity within and in which you may wish to develop your own UI.

47. PutridEx

PutridEx

the toolbar changes are new in 2021.2, i wish it was optional. I seriously dislike it.

48. sk0g

sk0g

49. AvoCavo

AvoCavo

Is there any way to turn off the burst compiler to not seeing errors?

50. youssefsbs8

youssefsbs8

when I edit on player setting this is what happen i can not edit Player setting anymore even if i restart editor

Attached Files: