Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Now Available - Native Apple Silicon Editor Preview Builds

Discussion in '2021.2 Beta' started by KevinWelton, Jun 8, 2021.

1. DrViJ

DrViJ

2021.2 works and builds on my m1, but 2022 fails on webgl builds on 2022.1.0b1/2/3. Its unusable at all) but 2021.2 is stable and works fine. unfortunately Unity close my bugs as non reproducible, so I had to stop trying 2022 for Apple silicon and returned to Intel version.

I think they will not fix it soon cause they cannot reproduce it. And that is the biggest problem as for me, cause bug is critical and blocks me availability to build for webgl
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/webgl-build-fails-when-building-on-apple-silicon-editor

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  2. CharacterControllerRespecter

CharacterControllerRespecter

FWIW I think the M1 Max is, by far, the best laptop I have ever owned. I wouldn't buy one if I was just going to use it for Unity's M1 release, but it's definitely an excellent machine for all kinds of tasks. I'm using mine for game and web development, as well as audio production. I can't say enough good things about this laptop, and it will be even better once all programs run natively and well on it.

3. MariusEthiel

MariusEthiel

Thanks for your response, Dalsia.
    I want my M1 Max for coding a lot of things, not only Unity, of course. I'm myself a programmer with a lot of experience in lot of different fields (20 years coding...). However, Unity is one of my hopes to create a simple game and since I don't like Windows for day-to-day work, I want a MAC.

4. mischa2k

mischa2k

Hey guys, any update on this issue?
    It still persists on 2021.2.7 apple silicon.
    Everything is extremely fast, except AssemblyBuilder being extremely slow :(

DrViJ likes this.
  5. Ritzilla

Ritzilla

For me Unity still isn't working on my air without rosetta. I tried installing it again (2021.2) and still got this error when trying to open a simple empty project.

Attached Files:

6. killo0o

killo0o

Hey @Phil_Z and @KevinWelton, Editor is working fine, but every build type fails, I've tried - Windows, Mac (x86+Apple Silicon), Linux, WebGL, Android, iOS, I consistently get around 55-56 errors and their things like this

[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'System.Random' threw an exception. ---> System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'Sys' threw an exception. ---> System.DllNotFoundException: /Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor/2022.1.0b5/Unity.app/Contents/MonoBleedingEdge/lib/../lib/libmono-native.dylib assembly:<unknown assembly> type:<unknown type> member:(null)
    at (wrapper managed-to-native) Interop+Sys.LChflagsCanSetHiddenFlag()
    at Interop+Sys..cctor () [0x00000] in <3cc0041a7bf849d5a824197f18576c2b>:0
    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    at System.IO.FileSystem.FileExists (System.ReadOnlySpan`1[T] fullPath, System.Int32 fileType, Interop+ErrorInfo& errorInfo) [0x00007] in <3cc0041a7bf849d5a824197f18576c2b>:0
    at System.IO.FileSystem.DirectoryExists (System.ReadOnlySpan`1[T] fullPath, Interop+ErrorInfo& errorInfo) [0x00000] in <3cc0041a7bf849d5a824197f18576c2b>:0
    at System.IO.FileSystem.DirectoryExists (System.ReadOnlySpan`1[T] fullPath) [0x00000] in <3cc0041a7bf849d5a824197f18576c2b>:0
    at System.IO.Directory.Exists (System.String path) [0x0001e] in <3cc0041a7bf849d5a824197f18576c2b>:0
    at Burst.Backend.UnmanagedLibrary.GetUnmanagedLibraryHandler () [0x00015] in <bfbc7148e2ae410cb20a284c249430f7>:0
    at Burst.Backend.UnmanagedLibrary..cctor () [0x00000] in <bfbc7148e2ae410cb20a284c249430f7>:0

So far I've tried 2022.1.0b1<-> 2022.1.0b5, wondering what's causing the DllNotFound exceptions. Open to ideas, I haven't tried 2021 or 2020 on this machine yet.
    Here's my setup:
    MacBook Pro 14' 2021
    M1 Pro 8 CPU core, 14 GPU core variant
    32 GB Ram

Hope this brings some interesting insight to you

7. Phil_Z

Phil_Z

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the report. We are aware of this issue and looking into it right now.

embraceware likes this.
  8. wusticality

wusticality

Heya, I'm curious what the state of these builds is when it comes to DOTS / Burst as our project relies heavily on these technologies. Thanks, -K

9. mischa2k

mischa2k

Seems to work fine for me. Both in Editor and with Builds.
    You need the lastest Burst version though.

10. BACALL

BACALL

11. joonturbo

joonturbo

We use a plugin that does not support M1 yet. Is there a way to disable it only for the developers that work on M1 native? They don't need to touch it anyway.

Something like
    #IF UNITY_EDITOR_OSX_APPLE_SILICON
    would help us a lot. Or being able to select editro platforms in the ASMDEF files.

madrobotMK and FIFTYTWO like this.
  12. androshchuk-vladyslav

androshchuk-vladyslav

Will be there 2020 LTS for M1?

Kronnect likes this.
  13. lawsonh

lawsonh

No. one of their team said it in a thread post somewhere but too lazy to find it.

14. joonturbo

joonturbo

I'm using this, and it works!
     if(SystemInfo.processorType == "Apple M1") return; // prevent errors on M1

sifterstudios likes this.
  15. levius

levius

Something wrong with bake lightmaps on m1 chip. Missing shadows (trying all configuration), on intel chips all works fine.

16. plotlessplot

plotlessplot

Hi! Any idea when the Apple Silicon build of 2021.2.10f1 will be available on the Unity Hub? Thank you!

17. BACALL

BACALL

It's available for me now

MariusEthiel likes this.
  18. MrGuardianX

MrGuardianX

And this is very strange. What is the point of being "Long Term Support" version if it really is not supporting anything.

19. matheus_inmotionvr

matheus_inmotionvr

I believe the Long Term Support means that the version will be supported for a long time, not that it will support everything for as long as it lives.

sifterstudios likes this.
  20. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

This is correct. The 2021 LTS will be the first LTS that supports Apple silicon.

To be clear, the lack of a backport to 2020 LTS isn't because a lack of desire to do the backport. It's a question of balancing resources given the heavy amount of work that went into development. Given that code changes a lot between releases, backporting would be non-trivial and significantly increase our testing matrix. Given the bumps we've already hit along the way, making sure we hit the 2021 LTS was the way we believed we could best balance our resources.

21. AntonVazhinsky

AntonVazhinsky

How soon can we expect 2021 LTS?

22. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

2021.2 is a precursor for an LTS, and it will get promoted to be LTS in several weeks. You can use 2021.2 today.

23. RobertOne

RobertOne

Will the 2022 betas arive for apple silly aswell?

24. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

They should already be there. Are you not able to download them from the hub?

25. pranasucitra

pranasucitra

Why is my serial number invalid?, but if I look at the account page it has been added

I'm using Macbook Pro M1 13" and UnityHub 3.0.1"

Screen Shot 2022-02-17 at 02.25.56.png Screen Shot 2022-02-17 at 02.26.43.png

26. Sarai

Sarai

Hi everyone, I want to report this strange bug.

My game can run at around 200-300 fps. BUT... if animator window opened at the same time, the fps is like locked to 29-30 FPS!

It's like the animator consume 170-270 fps.
    Tested on Unity 2021.2.12f1.
    Macbook Air M1

upload_2022-2-24_15-53-1.png upload_2022-2-24_15-53-10.png

marwanzaky likes this.
  27. kashif789us

kashif789us

I am getting massive performance drop from Unity 2020.3.x LTS series to Unity 2021.2.x Apple Silicon series. I am using M1 Max Macbook Pro.

I have multiple 2D projects which I ported from LTS to Unity 2021 Apple Silicon after purchase M1 Max Macbook Pro. Editor is fast but exported Android builds are way down in performance. From splash to scene loading to scrolling of scroll rect.

Has anybody else faced this?

28. MariusEthiel

MariusEthiel

I know is late for a response, but I got y computer three days ago after months of waiting... I was able to build + run a simple app with handtracking, with no Rosetta 2 involved. The main issue now is to preview the app in Unity, and not using build+ run for all the changes.

DavideDev likes this.
  29. nicmarxp

nicmarxp

Those of you that use the Silicon version of Unity and/or Rider, do you notice multicore usage is being utilized?

The question really is, would anything be twice as fast on the Mac Studio Ultra compared to Studio Max?

The thing that i feel drags down my flow the most in Unity is the compile/reload phase that happens each time I press save in Rider, then waiting for Unity to get ready so I can enter play mode.

Do you feel that improved when switching to Silicon?

I have a mid 2020 iMac i9 and it has these specs on Geekbench:
    Single core: 1243
    Multi core: 9030

The M1 Studio Ultra seems to have:
    Single core: 1793
    Multi core: 24055

So would that make compile and reload be 44% faster if that’s single core or 266% if it’s multicore? :)

30. SurreyMuso

SurreyMuso

I've ordered my Studio Ultra but it's not arriving until next month. Unless anyone beats me to it, I'll publish some results...

nicmarxp and matheus_inmotionvr like this.
  31. UAS

UAS

cool, interested in picking up one as well if the performance in Unity is way over the top compared to my regular m1

32. RobertOne

RobertOne

singlecore speed is pretty much the same between m1 and m1superdupa. so you wont have a huge difference in compilation time. anything that is using more cores in unity (i think the crash report?) wil go brrrrr. so if you want more performance then the m1 can offer, you have to wait for the m2

33. nicmarxp

nicmarxp

Hehe wow, I'd love for the crash report to be quicker so i can close it even quicker, it's only annoying. :)
    But right now i have iMac mid 2020, so I think upgrading to Ultra will be a pretty big difference in compile times, from what I could read. But from M1 it might not be that much a deal.. Looking forward to test it!

mischa2k likes this.
  34. Ng0ns

Ng0ns

Afaik (and please correct me if wrong), multicore does diddly squat in terms of editor compile times, its all single. I upgrade my pc a while back from a i7 4770k to a Ryzen 3600; was only slightly faster.
    Building the project, baking etc. will of cause, but personally I don't really see any reason to upgrade from my m1 mini. It still compiles substantially faster than the Ryzen, and the new Pros and Max chips only have marginally higher single core scores.

35. Gamrek

Gamrek

I am still using my 15 inches i7 MacBook Pro 2018, I look forward to upgrade mine. I am thinking Mac Studio M1 Max base model should be enough, plus I don't have the extra budget to get the Ultra one anyway. I will wait until 2021.3 LTS version release, I hope that version is definitely stable by then.

36. In2Play

In2Play

Hello,

hopefully I'm not too much offtopic but I'd like to ask what kind of M1 macs are you using for development? 8GB or 16GB versions? I'm mostly developing on my windows machine and use mac only for exporting for iOS.

Would 8GB version be enough for the next 7-8 years?

37. Foriero

Foriero

Please let me know how it goes. I want to order Studio Ultra as well.

38. mischa2k

mischa2k

Imho get 16+ GB if you can afford it.
    Rider IDE already takes 1.6 GB for me.
    Firefox another 2-3 GB.
    Text editor, git client, ..

39. matheus_inmotionvr

matheus_inmotionvr

I don't think 8GB would be enough for the next 7-8 years. Do you generate the XCode project on Windows and bring it to the Mac, or do you generate it on the Mac?

40. In2Play

In2Play

Thanks both for replies.

I code everything on a Windows machine in Unity. I then update the project on MAC and generate the XCode project there. This is all I need MAC for.

Currently, I have a late 2012 mac mini with 12GB of RAM and 256SSD (additionally upgraded), but it will be discontinued this year (Can't update the macOS on it anymore, thus XCode can't be updated). It feels like I'm going to downgrade now.

41. matheus_inmotionvr

matheus_inmotionvr

I wouldn't recommend a computer with less than 16GB of RAM for someone who plans to be using it to build games with Unity in 7~8 years, even if it's a Mac. I have no actual data to support my suggestion, but I'd go for 16GB in your case. That's a long lifespan for a development computer, and going with the minimum amount of RAM seems like a bad idea, IMHO.

42. In2Play

In2Play

I thought so too. Thanks for your suggestion.

matheus_inmotionvr likes this.
  43. unity_skPGxJ5XjTl8yw

unity_skPGxJ5XjTl8yw

Hey,

i got a new M1 Max 64GB Ram and 32 GPU Cores and the load up of the game is super fast and the editor is kind of smooth but the gameplay is compared to the windows pc before super bad (also when i disable all game objects in the scene (!)) (external display, 1080p)

some more infos: without the external display it runs smoother then ever before

With 80 FPS its still laggy and stuggy, like described here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/202...rformance-issues-affecting-mac.1176422/page-2

Unity 2021.2.f16

edit: found the related issue: https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...when-the-view-is-moved-to-an-external-display

Last edited: Mar 18, 2022
    marwanzaky likes this.
  44. In2Play

In2Play

Just wanted to let you know that I bought MacBook Air 16GB RAM version. It's totally worth it - I've installed basic programs like XCode, Unity and Rider IDE and it's already consuming more than 8GB. At peak it used around 11GB. Now I'm even thinking if 16GB will be enough for the next 7-8 years because the programs like XCode and Unity will get more resourceful.

However this M1 chip is a beast of a CPU. I have main Windows machine (AMD Ryzen 3700x) and it takes 4 seconds to enter the Play mode (in Unity Editor) for my current project. With Apple Sillicon UnityEditor it takes not even 2 seconds and it builds the iOS project in 24 seconds (vs 50 seconds with Intel UnityEditor). Can't believe it. Additionally can't even imagine what new M2 chips would do.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2022
    matheus_inmotionvr likes this.
  45. toyhunter

toyhunter

@unity_skPGxJ5XjTl8yw
    Same finding here, plus if you switch to full screen (Play Maximized) when in play mode, fps is faster than in dock mode (Play Focused)

marwanzaky likes this.
  46. matheus_inmotionvr

matheus_inmotionvr

I'm glad you made your choice and you're enjoying the MBA. I've got a similar machine (same configs, but it's a MBP) and it's definitely a beast. I hope it's enough for you for the long run. I can certainly see how it could be enough for some people, but it's definitely not enough for the projects I work on - I've ran into a few scenarios that triggered swapping and even though the performance was still great, I could notice a tiny performance impact.

Have fun with the new toy ;)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2022
    In2Play likes this.
  47. Ng0ns

Ng0ns

I'm over 8gb just opening firefox. This ram is even shared with the gpu, making it even more important to have more. OSX use like 6gb itself, that leaves like 2gb minus a headroom. Going from 8 to 16 is a massive increase because the OS take up the same space. Instead of having 2 gb free you all of the sudden have 10... 5 times the amount of ram available. Think people tend to forget this and just see it as "double the amount of ram".

48. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I'm debating also about 64 GB or 128 GB but that a whole different range :)

49. _geo__

_geo__

Is this still correct?
    Today I was able to install, run and even export an xCode project with Unity 2020 LTS on my M1. Is this supported now or is this just Rosetta working in the background? Should we expect this to work?

50. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

This works via Rosetta. In newer builds you should see the title bar reflecting this. See attached with "<Rosetta>" at end of titlebar.

Attached Files:

_geo__ likes this.