Search Unity

Now a Microsoft games store. Where does it end?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kiwasi, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Antypodish

Antypodish

To be honest, I also don't like the idea. I already miss days, when you can really get associated with character, from specific title, or franchise. Then come back after years to the beloved title.

Need to say, Blizzard World of Warcraft did grate job past many years.

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

Only for games that need low latency. There are many games out there that would be perfectly fine. Civilization is a very popular game that would benefit immensely from a server with high performance processors.

3. Zarconis

Zarconis

Deleted my other post so this one makes more sense:

That wasn't quite my point, for most reasonably specc'd games they'd have to essentially create a GPU farm as well. Virtual "bare" metal VM's sharing GPU's has been available for a while via ESXI / Hyper-V for example but it still has overhead and streaming latency lag to the end user. Or they could try to leverage a PC / gamebox / media centre etc. (for e.g.) endpoint but that makes things ten times more complicated.

They of course would never use one "device" per stream, the power alone would probably bankrupt the service. So, you're essentially left with a subset of games applicable, I was using an extreme example (like Read Dead) for theatre but the premise still stands.

I've seen them try it several ways, "VNC" (thin client) style streaming, partial install streams and every time the technology can't support it fully or like the rest of us they're bound by the laws of physics.

Plus the infrastructure overhead if successful could be very high, although that's their problem not ours :D..!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019