Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Novus Inceptio - indie mmo for players of the old school (in development)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Novus Inceptio, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Novus Inceptio

Novus Inceptio

fb_cover_001.jpg

Hello,

I would like to introduce my project, which has been for some time in development.

Title: Novus Inceptio

Steam Greenlight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=448308582

In development:
    in my head for several years - in real terms since 01/2012
    On the Hero Engine from 1/2012 - development of the Hero Engine terminated 11/2013
    On the Unity of 11/2013

Smaller basic description of the project:
    Novus Inceptio is 3D MMORPG post-apocalyptic fantasy / sci-fi game. Its goal is to create a complex and fully independent world, regardless of the number of active players. Game style will focus on hardcore survival action, tactics and strategy.The project is being developed by one person. The whole world is made procedurally in real time.

Small Spot info:
    • Sci-fi / fantasy MMO sandbox mix -> more sci-fi although at first glance it looks like a fantasy game.
    • The whole world is made procedurally in real time.
    • none lv
    • No skill bar (spell) and fighting style TAB 1,2,3
    • No quests (quests creates the players themselves)
    • Everything we do has a specific skill - which is improving.
    • Player economy, every thing is unique (quality, durability etc.)
    • Destructible things - can be repaired, but reduces the quality = once thing disintegrates into dust.
    • Own houses, settlements, cities - anywhere in the world.
    • Ranching, mining and quarrying (hand, mining station)
    • PvE locations for casual players for PvP players HC
    • Full PvP loot
    • Fight - FPS style - a light blow, strong etc. (no uselessness) - Magic (not for everyone and exhausting).
    • To occupy valuable source of raw materials and other block approach - economic domination ...
    • etc.
    Something about me:
    Old school player (playing since the days of C64 and ZXspectrum - currently, 22, ca).
    I work as a designer and programmer - about 14 years.
    I do not ask any high expectations - I just want to fulfill a longtime dream.
    And yes it is a one man show project

Official information in English (descriptions, screens, videos, news etc.):
    http://www.indiedb.com/games/novus-inceptio
    Last big news with gameplays videos:
    http://www.indiedb.com/games/novus-inceptio/news/the-world-od-novus-inceptio
    http://www.indiedb.com/games/novus-inceptio/news/how-to-survive-in-a-world-novus-inceptio

Official website: www.novus-inceptio.com

Forum: http://www.novus-inceptio.com/forums/

IndieDB:http://www.indiedb.com/games/novus-inceptio

YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/c/novusinceptio
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/novusinceptio
    TwitterNovusInceptio: https://twitter.com/NovusInceptio
    Reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/novusinceptio/
    G +: https://plus.google.com/ novusinceptio/
    Keengamer: http://www.keengamer.com/novus-inceptio

Official basic information

Novus Inceptio is postapocalyptic MMORPG with sci-fi/fantasy elements. Aim of the game is not to follow current MMO games, but to create integrated living world that is not affected by active player base. Gameplay is focused mainly on hardcore survival action, tactics and strategy.

Novus Inceptio takes place in the future on unknown planet. One of the most important story goals is to find what caused global catastrophy, that destroyed planet. Players will use advanced technology and partialy supernatural powers. Creating new civilization will be completely up on players. Game doesn’t offer any quests and minimum NPC.

Novus Inceptio allows natural character creation. Atributes that players use will increase and those not in use will slowly decrease. Characters will also get old and die permanently due to ilnesses, injuries or even from exhaustion while exploring vast world. In that case, player will use his stored DNA to create clon with corresponding attributes. Another way is to transfer players genetic information on offsprings, which will become playable in case of players death by natural causes. Getting old affects whole world including plants and animals.

Novus Inceptio is game with natural flow of time, day and night cycle and event weather that effects world.

Why is Novus Inceptio worth playing? There are no limits in character attributions unlike other games. Players have complete freedom about their main character focus. Players dont have to hardly think about race or class they would choose - everything player does is affecting and ultimatly creating character.

Novus Inceptio offers only tutorial quests. Other missions are given strictly by other players. Capacity of players inventory is limited. One of the first missions is to create a custom housing and storage. Players are not limited to build only single buildings, but are encouraged to build whole villages or even cities. Social interactions is not only about trading and mission recruitment. Players can build clans, villages and cities. Possibilities of cooperation or rivalships are wide open. Bigger activies require better logistic support. Old or damaged houses must be repaired and characters have to be fed.

Novus Inceptio encourages crafting. Tools quality and technology will increase alongside with characters attributions. Absence of NPCs offers creation of fully functional market.

Project is still marked as Work In Progress. Every information or screenshot corresponds with current alpha phase. These Informations might not represent final products.

Survive!
    In the beginning of the game you arebyou find yourself in the middle of the wild nature.
    Your equipment? Mere knife and basic tools. Luckily you are not alone! Small personal robot is your vital assistant, but remember he doesn’t do all the (hard)work. Nature doesn’t give anything for free. You need to find sources of the food, warmth and you must brace for the danger, which hides in deep forests. Illness, injury or death is your daily bread. After some time you’ll get to know the laws of your world and you’ll be ready for long journey that awaits you.

Build!
    Do you want you own land? No problem! You can build your own house, farm or you can focus on one of many crafts. Don’t worry, you are not alone in this. You get helpers, that will fulfill your assignments. Helpers will work for you even in your absence. But they can get sick as well as you. therefore you must tread them nicely. Together with other players you may build a village, city or you can reign whole region and establish your own rules. Buildings and building elements are made by modular system. The only limit is your imagination, resources and skills.

Create!
    Do you like creating things? In that case, you’ll love Novus Inceptio! All items in the game are unique and made by players. Creating is complex proces, affected by many things, from the sklil level to materiál you use. Crafting systém doesn’t show required materials, but only shows parts you need. Everything else is generated automatically (if you use stone, you make stone axe, but if you use iron, you create iron axe – you can use different material on every part, it takes on account even type or density of the wood). Due to this system, there is only one recipe for axe and there is no need to make dozens recipes for better equipment.

Explore!
    Novus Inceptio isn’t just about colonizing the world, surviving and creating working economics. Whole word of life, death and mystery awaits you. Get ready for dark forests, dry deserts, tropical jungles or even underwater life. All this in the game area of 576km2. The world lives its live with or without your acitivity – animals live and die, weather changes and new locations are created by players. Long journey full of finding rare materials, searching for the truth and true meaning of existence of the planet awaits you. Not all places were able to regenerate from the catastrophy that shook the world. It’s also possible to run into relic of the original civilization, that ruled the planet before you…

Last edited: May 24, 2015
    tylerguitar75 and GarBenjamin like this.
  2. Novus Inceptio

Novus Inceptio

3. judah4

judah4

Wow, this looks pretty good. I'll keep an eye on this.

Novus Inceptio likes this.
  4. Archania

Archania

Looks great. Liking the concept and the look of it. Need to check out all the videos you did later when not at work.

5. TOBII_Rickard

TOBII_Rickard

looks good so far :)

6. Novus Inceptio

Novus Inceptio

Thanks everyone!
    There is still a lot of work ahead of me, but the main thing is already done.

7. Jabser

Jabser

Looks promising will keep an eye on this project.

8. Novus Inceptio

Novus Inceptio

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  9. Novus Inceptio

Novus Inceptio

New building elements (stone and roof)

tylerguitar75 likes this.
  10. Novus Inceptio

Novus Inceptio

11. judah4

judah4

Wow, I really like how you do the house building. How does the server handle the building, do you send a request for each piece to the server and then it updates for everyone so others can see the building being pieced together?

12. Novus Inceptio

Novus Inceptio

Thank you!
    Yes, simply put, yes. For other players are always replicated the final location of the building module.

13. judah4

judah4

Nice! The system looks like you can do a lot of customization with it.

14. Novus Inceptio

Novus Inceptio

Priority is to allow the players as much freedom and limit it only to their own creativity;)

15. judah4

judah4

And collected resources :p

16. Novus Inceptio

Novus Inceptio

Small update

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
    randomperson42 and judah4 like this.
  17. True Indie MMO

True Indie MMO

Wow this looks fantastic! I can see why you got nominated on indiedb!

I've recently released my own project called www.trueindiemmo.com. Its a website that aims to present as much True Indie MMO content as I can. Its out there, I just have to find it!

I believe that indie mmos need to stand alone. Set apart from massive pool of indie video games. They also need to be spoken more of in terms of what being an indie developer is.

Please take a look at my website because I'd love to feature Novus Inceptio. I recently finished an interview with Dan Uber, lead on Hubris. Another strong indie mmo created in Unity 3D. I am just finalizing that as being our first indie developer spotlight.

I will follow this project on all appropriate social channels, but I really hope to be able to sit down and speak with you!

You can message me here, via the website or at trueindiemmo@gmail.com. Thanks
    Alex

18. JamesPro

JamesPro

Are you using Unity's Terrain System and just procedurally giving it the heights or are you using a Custom Terrain Engine or a complete Voxel Terrain Engine? Also if your using a Custom Terrain Engine how do you handle trees and grass for it?

19. Novus Inceptio

Novus Inceptio

Hello JamesPro - remember you with HeroEngine (I hope I'm not mistaken);)

I apologize in advance for the bad English, and perhaps there is no linguistic misunderstandings ...

We use several methods.

I started with a purely voxel world, but with regard to the concept of the project and an emphasis on high supervision. I had to reject this method.

The second method on which the project is built in part today. Is that I am running for procedurally generated terrain unity from A to Z (height map, layout, textures, grass and legacy trees and objects (stones and details). Thus, I was able to generate an infinite world of decent size, including supervision and decent graphics. But performance was still not much considering gameplay elements.

The new method, which we use now, basically since January 2015 working on it.
    It is essential that the heightmap I Pregenerated including textures (thus saving power - but everything is solved procedurally in the engine), but in real time applies all other objects (flora, rocks, grass, etc.)

On everything I have internal scripts that addresses the diversity of terrain + biomes and transitions between them etc.

Basically, even after partial Pregenerated but in real time generate all trees and buildings. When is generated procedurally several maps (map density flora, biome, humidity etc.) and accordingly is applied to the surface flora (they are complicated rules which distinguish which texture to use what the tree and where to settle how much to put bushes, etc., etc. )

Currently using SpeedTree but has not applied the trees like terrain tree, but as objects (Speedtree is more demanding than the legacy tree, and can not generate 300k trees once - a huge drop in performance). So Generating around player Speedtree about 35k in real time and efforts have been generated or deletes them - because of procedural logic is always in the same place as it should be for both online gaming and single.

I do not know if this is all understandable;)
    Perhaps yes - just do not know whether it corresponds to your question ...

And everything is solved even considering the possibility terraforming or interaction with the environment and handling.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  20. JamesPro

JamesPro

lol Yes I was using Hero for a while... I own my own HeroCloud Server for my game Rise of Heroes and then when I decided to put RoH on hold I joined ElectricCrow Games working on Greed Monger and we worked with Hero for a while until some of our Community who were counting on us supporting Mac found out that Hero didn't have a Mac Client and they nearly revolted... lol We were also running into one issue after another with Hero. Our Server was very unstable, Our Server kept hitting the 60 instance limit and would crash. At the time we had a large team of World Designers all trying to work on their own parts of the world and so the online instances would add up very quickly.

Yeah it helps... We are Procedurally generating our Terrain using different types of noise. Trees are placed based on noise and height as well and everything is currently textured based on height. I still have to figure out interacting with trees... Last I knew there wasn't much that could be done with the trees that get placed on the terrain through the foliage system. I also need to figure out terra-forming.

21. Novus Inceptio

Novus Inceptio

I remember;)
    Interaction with trees - if they are used as unity terrain tree:
    1) Do not use on trees Collider (drop unnecessary power).
    2) pass terraindata evaluate the distance from gamecharacter and tree prototype and in the same position insert Collider including interaction
    3) collider that are beyond the reach distances disturb
    very simply put.
    There are many gimmick as you do - alone nonstop browsing terraindata not the good way - the best is a data index, and then solve a section in the array.

22. Novus Inceptio

Novus Inceptio

Sample music for the project. In the video uses footage from the current dev build.

23. Novus Inceptio

Novus Inceptio

Dense far flora...
    We managed to solve the generation and flora in the distance without penalty an performance.
    This is an average of 600k trees.

24. virror

virror

Very nice! Care to share how you did it?

25. Novus Inceptio

Novus Inceptio

26. Jonathan-Watkins

Jonathan-Watkins

Awesome Game! Would you mind telling me what gpu and cpu your using?
    @Novus Inceptio

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  27. Novus Inceptio

Novus Inceptio

28. Elecman

Elecman

Do you use rayleigh scattering to get the realistic looking blue-ish distant mountains or is it just blue fog? It looks pretty nice :)

29. Novus Inceptio

Novus Inceptio

It's Rayleigh scattering and fog.

30. Novus Inceptio

Novus Inceptio

After a long period of summary updates;)

The first moments of the fight + enhancements underwater world.

Placeholder crops being replaced by models. Wildlife brings the first fruits. A smaller view of the strategic map, making it possible to manage trade between sites etc.

More "user friendly" interaction with the environment and so on.

Further details come to life. Deer jumping through the forest, and other small fauna begins to seek a home in the NI world.

And finally preparing to GameDay2015 Trebon - 8 to 9 May 2015

Where possible, the project will play a try;)

All promotional materials etc. could be done only thanks to sponsorship from ASUS ROG Czech.

http://gameday.cz/#program

31. Novus Inceptio

Novus Inceptio

GameDay for the project ended with great success - it was amazing. Only there was no time to deal photo documentation, so just something we succeeded;)

A video of the event here where the project will demonstrate a few seconds, 1:00 to 1:12;)

And next:

Last edited: May 11, 2015
    JoeStrout likes this.
  32. judah4

judah4

Wow, its looking really good.

33. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

This looks phenomenal. Did you find it required a tremendous amount of effort and time to get the game world looking this good? I only ask because based on many posts I have read it seems many people have a lot of trouble trying to get their Unity projects to look so good. Makes me wonder if you just have learned something specific to Unity that is not common knowledge, focused on the textures or what.

34. Novus Inceptio

Novus Inceptio

Hello,
    for how the project looks like a lot of work and effort.

Everything could look much better, and also use specific optimization elements - if the project has not been solved procedurally (all flora is generated in real time the running game - nothing predisposed;))

I spent the last six months that I've dealt with and tried possibilities Unity and tried to circumvent Defects and enjoy the advantages.

Simply put, not very convenient to use everything as it is offered (whether they are the engine of the thing, or packages on asset store etc.), it is always necessary to adjust everything to the project from A to Z.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  35. Novus Inceptio

Novus Inceptio

Main topic complemented by official information.

36. MartasX

MartasX

Hi,
    Amazing work for one man team!
    Would you mind sharing few "behind the scene" details?
    1, What is the general idea behind procedurally generating flora, rocks, grass?
    2, What networking system are you using?

Thanks!

37. Novus Inceptio

Novus Inceptio

Hello,

and thank you!

1) I do not understand the issue very well (I can not very good English;)) - but the reason why I deal with everything procedurally is because one man would hand the world formed an incredibly long time - this solves everything scripts and do not waste valuable time - but maybe you are asking for something another;)

2) I am currently using to test Photon Cloud (for replication of motion) - in the finals will own Photon server. But the other things I use custom scripts and DB server that resolves things like inventory, data on the change in the world, etc. Photon is used only for replication and RPC (but only by sending echo of changing the type XY - when this change comes a different player so it queries the server and DB scripts outside the photon and request changes).

Example - felling of the tree - the tree are harvested player A - saves all necessary data on the DB server and sends RPC others, according to the type of RPC serverDB to inquire and request the latest changes and process them. I do not need to send data via RPC.
    If for the action is not necessary to transmit information to other players - the photon is not used.

If you then join another player, so at the beginning of the requested data from serverDB and applies the changes.

On his own "Photon Server" But some things are handled differently on the server.

+ Fight is again handled a little bit differently, as described above things are where the data is not necessary immediate response.

All but still controls its own Unity server application that tracks all the players, and the creature changes and checks sent data - due to the hack etc.

MartasX likes this.
  38. MartasX

MartasX

Thanks for the detailed info.Interesting approach for the network solution.
    add 1, I'm sorry, I didn't make my self clear I... What I was asking is logic behind placing trees, bushes, rock, etc. (how the script decide where/how to place them)

Btw. We are from the same country so "Dik a uzasna prace"

39. Novus Inceptio

Novus Inceptio

1) in the base it is a classic Perlin noise, but with lots of conditions, detect terrain elevation, texture, biome, air density and humidity etc.

BTW: Hehe - diky to pak tedy pres PM, než abych se tu lopotil s anglictinou co me moc nejde:)

MartasX likes this.
  40. Novus Inceptio

Novus Inceptio

Demonstration of actual gameplay (only a small%) and feeling of the world, which was presented at GameDay2015 Trebon. In the video it is sample across the world, meeting with a wolf (without a fight) minor interaction with the environment and so on. Just for showing a sense of the world.

elias_t and MartasX like this.
  41. Novus Inceptio

Novus Inceptio

42. Novus Inceptio

Novus Inceptio

43. Novus Inceptio

Novus Inceptio

Novus Inceptio got the green light on Steam! Within 5 days was ranked 10th place in the top 100 games. Thank you very much everyone for your support!

MartasX and randomperson42 like this.
  44. Novus Inceptio

Novus Inceptio

A new weather system is ready. Smaller tasting below.

MartasX likes this.
  45. Novus Inceptio

Novus Inceptio

The project is ready for internal testing on Steam!

46. Novus Inceptio

Novus Inceptio

Finalizing some final adjustments to lighting and visual appeal.

MartasX likes this.
  47. Novus Inceptio

Novus Inceptio

Novus Inceptio team is slowly growing. The first graphic is Patrik Spacek and finishes for us PPB drone. See pictures ...
    For the ignorant - this is a man who works in the gaming industry for over 20 years and has had several AAA games.

randomperson42 and MartasX like this.
  48. MartasX

MartasX

Looks stunning! Even though it's not 1-man army anymore, it is still impressive. :D

49. Novus Inceptio

Novus Inceptio

Internal testing record some elements and finding bugs. More to do what is in the video, we will not comment - it is necessary to wait a few more days - take it as a gift to have nearly 2,000 fans on FB;)

MartasX likes this.
  50. Novus Inceptio

Novus Inceptio

MartasX and theANMATOR2b like this.