Search Unity

#NothingWillEverBeTheSame

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Bionicle_fanatic, May 1, 2015.

1. Bionicle_fanatic

Bionicle_fanatic

What if there was a game like no other?

A game that stepped outside the usual cliches of ComputerRPG and Real-Time Strategy?

A game set on the most incredible island you'll ever visit?

A game you could play again, and again, and again... And each time have a completely different experience?

The OmniMyth is coming. And when it does, #NothingWillNeverBeTheSame.

Follow Fanatic Studios on Twitter for updates.​

2. Bionicle_fanatic

Bionicle_fanatic

Oternia is a fascinating tropical island and the stunning setting of OmniMyth. This map marks out some of it's more prominent features:

Omada Tengui: Sitting above the clouds, it's inhabitants have Compassion for all things.
    Omada Nerato: The sandy village that lives by Hope.
    Omada Ketuma: Trust in the Great Artificer allows the forest villagers to travel swiftly on the treetops.
    Okla Canyon: A winding, shady place in the middle of a roasting hot desert.
    Dagatarr Mine: A huge wooden scaffold set into a cliff serves as a safe ledge for the miners.
    The Apothetorium: Every year, new villagers are brought to life here by the Great Artificer.
    Lake Altus: A deep and mysterious lake, which may be home to more than pondweed...
    Kaan Swamp: Wading around in the mud is a severe hinderance if you're being chased by packs of wolves.
    Fields of Trikalan: These rolling hills are a delightful place to play, so long as you watch out for snakes.

Follow Fanatic Studios® on Twitter for more updates. #NothingWillEverBeTheSame

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  3. andrewjason

andrewjason

nice premise, there are a lot of boring monotone island scenarios out there, so good to see some variation, particular with the mining area. Gameplay/asset screenshots?

Bionicle_fanatic likes this.
  4. Bionicle_fanatic

Bionicle_fanatic

Funnily enough, I was just working on them now [:p] Should have them out within the week or earlier, depending on a number of variables [:p] [:p]

5. andrewjason

andrewjason

Looking forward to it! :)

6. Bionicle_fanatic

Bionicle_fanatic

Check out the Pre-Alpha demo for OmniMyth!

(Remember to watch with captions!)

OmniMyth is game that aims to break the boundaries of procedurally generated content by providing randomly created storyline (While keeping the plot believable and cohesive). Set on the fascinating island of Oternia, and focusing on it's cybernetic inhabitants (the Auto-Sapiens), the game will bring constant intrigue and enjoyment. Because in the OmniMyth, #NothingWillEverBeTheSame.

OmniMyth is still heavily in development, but we made all this in a week, so expect a Beta release soon (possibly within the next month..? Fingers crossed...)

Follow Fanatic Studios on Twitter for updates and releases.

7. andrewjason

andrewjason

Tell me more about the generation engine? How does it work?
    The basic idea is there but if you did this in a week, it will take a lot longer than a month for a beta release to come out. Perhaps start thinking about including some assets?

8. Bionicle_fanatic

Bionicle_fanatic

The generation engine is based off Campbell's Hero's Journey (aka the Monomyth). It starts off by introducing you to the world, allowing you to meet the villagers, gather resources, and make friends/enemies. It then processes what kind of adventure to tell, based on the input seed. This could be anything from simply saving the Horva-Pach from extinction, to a confrontation with the Evil One himself. In the demo, I'm guessing an animal trainer had fallen to evil and was setting his beasts on the rest of the village.

Then it starts the adventure with an event that sets your character on the path of the hero. This event could be anything depending on what type of story the seed generated. It's normally a negative effect, such as a shortage of metal or a rising of a new warlord. In the demo video, the event was the Korab attacking the villagers.

(The following is speculation: The idea is there, I just need the time to code it [:p])

The next stage of the generation is allies, opponents, and the mentor. Allies will stick closely by your side, whether they get on with you or not. The mentor, often the village priest, will guide the hero in the right direction in an almost cRPG NPC fashion. The opponents could be anything from flaming hell-hounds, to a simple waterfall to cross. I didn't play through the demo, but I'm guessing Feve would have been an ally, the blacksmith would become a mentor, and more Korab would be the opponents.

Then comes the crunch time: the hero, if he manages to overcome the obstacles, reaches his ultimate challenge. Or, the ultimate challenge reaches him, depending on the story and how the player is playing. The hero faces his darkest hour, and, if the player does his job right, returns to his village victorious. In the demo, the confrontation would have been with the evil animal tamer and a few of his pets.

So that was a very long explanation of how the generator is laid out [:p] If I had to condense it, I would put it like this:

Think of the minecraft generation system. There are roughly 150 blocks in the game, all put together in different layers, and with certain rules (think of the trees), to make a coherent world. I'm just switching the blocks with story events, that can be interchanged, expanded, and combined to create a believable narrative.

Sorry if this sounds clueless, but how do you mean, assets? [:p] If you mean populating the world with unique and intriguing locations (such as the oil well, the Apothetorium, the Dagataar Mine etc.), then I'm actually just working on that right now [:p]

9. andrewjason

andrewjason

Yes :p 3d models/ things you've made in Blender/3ds Max/ bought off the asset store. (You're levels look rather empty at the moment). And that sand worm thing moved quite interestingly, it'd be cool to see t given a more comprehensive and visual model. Though of course if you're still in the thick of coding, there's no need to rush into modelling just yet.

10. Bionicle_fanatic

Bionicle_fanatic

I plan to populate the world with a wide variety of models, most of which will be key points in different plots, and each one having their own separate story, purpose, and feel [;)]