Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Note to other Visual Studio users upgrading to Unity 5.2

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Baste, Sep 8, 2015.

1. BinaryBanana

BinaryBanana

I was using VS2013 with VSTU, now on 5.2 Unity is opening VS 2013 but I don't have "attach to Unity" option. It's broken. I don't want to install VS 2015, I already keep VS2012 and VS2013 on one machine.

That's another issue after upgrade (after bugs in UI). I knew I shouldn't upgrade.

2. BinaryBanana

BinaryBanana

OK, actually someone's link above to the solution worked for me: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/visual-studio-2013-pro-with-unity-5-2.353556/#post-2295432 Thanks!

holliebuckets and chrismarch like this.
  3. Xarbrough

Xarbrough

I had similar problems that suddenly I couldn't attach the Unity Debugger anymore in VS 2013 or 2015, although they both opened fine from Unity. Switching to Monodevelop, debugging something there and then switching back to VS 2013 appears to have fixed it, at least for the moment. So, if anyone has similar problems, maybe try switching back and forth or just restarting.

4. pr.simmons

pr.simmons

Add me to the list of people that wants the old VSTU back so I can run Unity on my Mac and edit and debug using Visual Studio in a VM.

I feel.... abandoned

5. sljd

sljd

Cannot open VS from Unity. It attempts to open VS 2010 and fails as it's only a shell. My Unity setting points to the valid 2015 devenv.exe. Before I installed SQL Studio 2016, which uses the 2010 shell, it was opening the 2015 devenv.exe allocating a standard memory footprint, but the process had no window attached. I'm not using Resharper or any other JetBrains plugin. I have the registry key pointing to a valid VSTU path, but no mention in the about dialog.

I'm using Unity 5.2.0f3 Personal and VSTU attached with it.

Log:
    EditorHelper: Attempting to use Visual Studio.
    EditorHelper: Checking for Visual Studio installations.
    EditorHelper: Searching for Visual Studio 2008 installation using the VS90COMNTOOLS environment variable.
    EditorHelper: Found a Visual Studio 2008 installation here: c:/program files (x86)/microsoft visual studio 14.0/common7/
    EditorHelper: Searching for Visual Studio 2010 installation using the VS100COMNTOOLS environment variable.
    EditorHelper: Found a Visual Studio 2010 installation here: c:/program files (x86)/microsoft visual studio 14.0/common7/
    EditorHelper: Searching for Visual Studio 2012 installation using the VS110COMNTOOLS environment variable.
    EditorHelper: No Visual Studio 2012 installation found.
    EditorHelper: Searching for Visual Studio 2013 installation using the VS120COMNTOOLS environment variable.
    EditorHelper: Found a Visual Studio 2013 installation here: c:/program files (x86)/microsoft visual studio 12.0/common7/
    EditorHelper: Searching for Visual Studio 2015 installation using the VS140COMNTOOLS environment variable.
    EditorHelper: Found a Visual Studio 2015 installation here: c:/program files (x86)/microsoft visual studio 14.0/common7/
    EditorHelper: Your preferences indicate Visual Studio should be found here: c:/program files (x86)/microsoft visual studio 14.0/common7/ide/devenv.exe
    EditorHelper: We found a matching Visual Studio 2010 installation here: c:/program files (x86)/microsoft visual studio 14.0/common7/
    EditorHelper: Looking for a running Visual Studio session.
    EditorHelper: No appropriate running Visual Studio session not found, creating a new one.
    EditorHelper: Retrying communication to Visual Studio session using ::CoCreateInstance( clsid, NULL, CLSCTX_LOCAL_SERVER, EnvDTE::IID__DTE, (LPVOID*)&punk ) (result = 0x80080005)
    EditorHelper: Retrying communication to Visual Studio session using ::CoCreateInstance( clsid, NULL, CLSCTX_LOCAL_SERVER, EnvDTE::IID__DTE, (LPVOID*)&punk ) (result = 0x80080005)

6. sljd

sljd

Also, Unity generates an sln file with the following lines:
    Microsoft Visual Studio Solution File, Format Version 10.00
    # Visual Studio 2008

As a result, it triggers migration on every change/reload.

7. CyberMew

CyberMew

The only problem I had with VS2015 and the MVST 2.1 and Unity 5.2.0 in Windows 10 is that after executing Debug.Log("MSG"), it does not appear in the Console tab windows in VS2015.

Is this normal behaviour? Are we suppose to go back to Unity window to view the console logs by Debug.Log?

8. zerik

zerik

please add the following
    Can I use VSTU 2.1 for Visual Studio 2013 with VS 2015 ?

Instead of diving headfirst into the: Visual Studio 2015 - VSTU 2.1 - Unity 5.2 version cocktail, I want to maintain the: Visual Studio 2013 - VSTU 1.9/2.0 - Unity 5.1 version cocktail or possibly update to Visual Studio 2013 - VSTU 2.1 - Unity 5.1 - Anyone know if the VSTU for 2013 and 2015 identical in functionality and is the VSTU for 2013 compatible with 2015?

In fact, I want to have both version cocktails running on the same machine. It is possible to install multiple versions of Unity ( I have that working fine) It is also possible to install multiple versions of Visual Studio ( ie. both Visual Studio 2013 and Visual Studio 2015.

However it appears that Visual Studio Tools for Unity (VSTU xxx) may need to exist as a singular instance in the windows file system - as the documentation for VSTU 2.1 says it will automatically un-install a prior version (I confirmed this is the case by upgrading to VSTU 2.1 for VS 2013 on one machine). So I know that the VSTU for 2013 is working properly with VS 2013 and Unity 5.1 (as expected).

*** Ergo my primary question - Can I use VSTU 2.1 for Visual Studio 2013 with VS 2015 ?

Or conversely - does anyone know if the VSTU for VS 2015 will work with VS 2013 / Unity 5.1 ? What complications if any can I expect? Thanks

9. Hodgson_SDAS

Hodgson_SDAS

Thanks, Works for me.

10. passerbycmc

passerbycmc

Still haven't been able to get the debugger attaching to work again. But i am also one of the very many stuck having to use visual studio through a VM. I was able to write this script which will generate a new project and solution that works with visual studio, from the ones that are created by unity in OSX.

https://gist.github.com/cmcpasserby/5625d49e0bb1e9ac4776

Though no matter what i do i cant get debugging working like i had it back in 5.1 with vstu

11. Tristan.fgol

Tristan.fgol

Thank you very much for this it at least helps me use an editor that I'm familiar with!

12. passerbycmc

passerbycmc

Ya but i still cant get the debugger working like it used to, I'm guessing it wont expose the debugging port Unless Unity sees a native copy of Visual Studio as the external script editor. If the check to enable to disable this debugging port was simply done via the External Editor Name it should still work since Parallels provides a .app wrapper for every app in the windows VM, which allows me to configure Visual Studio as the external Script Editor even know it runs on a different VM

Would be nice if we could explicitly tell VSTU to expose it, and to generate the proper visual studio projects no matter the platform.

I seem to doubt im not the only one using Visual Studio via Parallels VM so i can get a proper editor while on OSX. During the pre 5.2.x days of Unity This solution worked perfectly since i could explicitly tell UnityVS to generate me a project, and the debugging port for VS was always exposed.

Hopefully my script for generating a Project and solution for VS can atleast help people get things working partially in the meantime.

t0bi likes this.
  13. t0bi

t0bi

Same here! I really hope this will be fixed!
    Visual Studio Code on Mac partially works (especially thanks to this plugin https://github.com/dotBunny/VSCode), debugging works sometimes.. But it is not final and has no plugin support. I don't want to code without ReSharper :(

Thanks a lot for the post process plugin passerbycmc! Maybe something similar to the VSCode plugin could help for Visual Studio debugging as well?

14. DMeville

DMeville

+1. Being able to use Unity OSX + VS on a VM is the best, but I can't get it working since updating to 5.2 :(

Using @passerbycmc script he's so generously shared I've got it working at least to the point where I can code again (but I had to make minor changes to the script, changing the "Library/UnityAssemblies" path to "Library/ScriptAssemblies". So thanks a million to you :)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  15. passerbycmc

passerbycmc

What problem does that path change fix? I it copies the needed files anyways out of the app container to where a windows vm can see things. Was it overwriting something on you?

16. DMeville

DMeville

My project didn't have a UnityAssemblies folder, so when I tried running the script it would throw errors as its explicitly looking for that folder. All my DLLs and stuff were being stored in a folder called ScriptAssemblies, so pointing it to that path stopped the errors when building the solution and let me work in VS.. Now why the folder names were different by default I have no idea :)

17. pr.simmons

pr.simmons

18. passerbycmc

passerbycmc

still no where near as good a editor as VS + Resharper

19. pr.simmons

pr.simmons

No argument there, however, I am starting to believe that MD is 'good enough'.

One thing that I have been thinking about is 'IDE's are making us stupid'. I don't remember who said it, but I do remember the days before RS and intellisense.

I still can't write a delegate or complex linq statement without RS and I don't know if that is ok or not :)

People who know me, know that I am always looking or better tools, time for a change (for me)

20. passerbycmc

passerbycmc

These tools mostly just take care of syntax for you, or inform you about mistakes before compile time. Its still the programmer that is creating the logic.

What would you rather do have to look at the docs to learn what methods are in a class and what arguments they take or just have the IDE tell you that based on the context of what your doing? I rather keep the time and brain power for the real work and not spend it all trying to remember exact method names.

Besides there is always those quick edits where i will just fire up simple editor like VIM where i only get syntax highlighting.

t0bi likes this.
  21. GarretPolk

GarretPolk

I managed to get VS working but every time I try to open a C# script in Unity it opens a new copy of DevStudio. I think I'll go back to MonoDevelop until this gets sorted out.

22. Enzign

Enzign

We are having a very strange issue with UnityVS which is also present in unity 5.2.1p1 with VS2015 and VSTU 2.1. When pressing play unity freezes for several minutes before the scene starts. Unity can't be interacted with during this time. Before Unity 5.2 we just removed the UnityVS folder from Unity but kept the installation for Visual Studio and could still debug in visual studio, but now we can't do this easy fix, so it's quite a problem for us. It only seems to happen when we also use Azure functionality. Local emulation or in microsofts cloud doesn't matter. So it seems to be something when using both VSTU and Azure.
    Any help to get this issue resolved will be much appreciated.

23. Baste

Baste

@Lucas Meijer or @karl.jones, there seems to be some consistent problems with the VS integration, is this something the Unity team is going to look into or try to fix?

The problems all seems to relate to 3rd party plugins or running VS on a VM, so I get it if you don't want to cover those bases. At the same time, these were all problems that did not exist when VSTU was a Unity plugin.

If you're not going to work on a fix, please consider making it possible to run the plugin version of VSTU again. The conveniece of having the tool integrated isn't really worth much if it breaks Visual Studio when used in conjunction with other tools Unity developers needs to use.

24. Swinguru_FX

Swinguru_FX

Had troubles making unity VS works with Unity 5, but finally got it following methods posted above.

However, it seems Unity Editor and VS 2013/2015 freeze every time a breakpoint is hit inside a Coroutine.
    If VS is not attached to Editor, game doesn't freeze.

Thus, debugging Coroutines are now impossible for me :/

25. passerbycmc

passerbycmc

I Can confirm no issues when running on windows using VS 2013 or 2015 and ReSharper 9.x. The part about VM's is be design that it dost work, since it wont enable now unless it finds finds a valid Visual Studio install.

Though some could see this as a regression since before 5.2 when it wasn't included with unity it was possible to force the creation of a proper sln and project for Visual Studio, and the debugging port was left open so Visual studio running in a VM or elsewhere on the local network could still attach.

As a future feature, a explicit way to enable the debugging port and generate solutions and projects for VS, regardless of the OS it is running on or if i can find a visual studio install. Would be amazing people that work on OSX and must use a VM to access great tools like Visual Studio and ReSharper.

26. Baste

Baste

I've got VS 2015 and Resharper 9.2, and opening external scripts does not work. Visual Studio fails to open with an error, and Unity reverts to MonoDevelop. This does not happen with Resharper deactivated.

What OS are you on? I've got Windows 10 (not the best idea I've had), so that might be a problem.

27. passerbycmc

passerbycmc

im running 10, but i havent updated my resharper in a while so its on 9.1

28. diekeure

diekeure

I have windows 7, I describe my exact situation in this related thread:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/visual-studio-2013-pro-with-unity-5-2.353556/#post-2314920

29. davecazz

davecazz

any progress on getting unityVS working on a mac?

Anyone know of a filed bug that we can comment on and track progress?

30. passerbycmc

passerbycmc

Would not be considered a bug, since its this way by desgin. Though could be consideration for a new feature to have it support VS that is on a virtual machine.

31. davecazz

davecazz

I'd appreciate it if you just stayed out of this discussion because you don't know what you're talking about.

VM users were able to use unity VS before 5.2, now they cant. It was not intended to shut them down. They tried to make the process more integrated for people who use unityVS but they UNINTENTIONALLY shut down all mac users that were using the same tool.

this is a bug. so please save your breath unless you are going to help get this fixed again.

I, and many users like me, CANNOT UPGRADE to 5.2 until this is fixed.

literally all they have to do is make this feature conditional for windows only. I already confirmed from the unityVS guys that the plugin still works fine, its just that Unity is blocking it.

DMeville likes this.
  32. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

Hi folks :) I want to communicate to you the devs are very aware of the ongoing struggle VS has been. Please know they are working on it :) I'm going to continue collecting feedback from you and passing it directly on to them.

This is also a kind reminder to stay polite and constructive - even when things are ridiculously frustrating. <3

Hodgson_SDAS likes this.
  33. davecazz

davecazz

Thanks for the update. much of the frustration has been due to the lack of communication from unity compounded by misinformation/opinions from other users suggesting this is a feature and not something that should be considered a bug fix.

It's unfortunate that a frustrated message is required to actually get a response.

Is there a bug that we can reference to track this?

34. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

The lack of communications is something @Aurore @SaraCecilia and I are working hard to change ^_^ At the very least we want to tell you if its being worked on, or if its been lost (which does happen from time to time because, humans).

As far as bug numbers, there are a few of them in this thread as well as other that have been submitted independently. From my understanding, its more than one issue. :) We'll keep you posted :D

35. davecazz

davecazz

I'm specifically talking about mac users who can't use unityVS at all. the other bugs deal with windows based issues.

Thats my main concern is that there is an awareness concerning the windows based issues with unity vs and resharper. but the fact that mac users cant use VS at all is not being dealt with.

from your response, you know the engineering team has some awareness of the issues in this forum thread, but you dont know wether they are working on the mac related issues.

36. davecazz

davecazz

I just looked at the issue tracker and couldn't find anything relating to this issue.

37. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

I understood exactly what you meant. I did say the devs were "very aware" and there were multiple issues. :) I'm sorry if that message got lost.

Don't forget Issue Tracker only shows those bugs that users have set to be public. Personally, I never set my bugs to public. :/

I understand its frustrating and the answer "they are working on it" isn't the best. Thank you for caring and posting on the forums - it shows you care and that is what I love about the Unity Community :)

Here are a couple threads that you might be interested in, in the mean time.
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/solved-unityvs-2-doesnt-work-in-unity-5-2b5.346747/
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/unity-5-2-vstu-integration-broken-on-mac.355529/

38. davecazz

davecazz

response from the unity vs team. hopefully it will be fixed in the next release.

DMeville likes this.
  39. tylerw-savatronix

tylerw-savatronix

Unity is no longer recognizing the tools in the about window (it did after initially installing everything), and appears to be looking in the wrong place for VS.

I've got VS2015 Enterprise, windows 10, fresh install of everything (didn't update Unity, installed fresh).

It looks like its using the wrong environment variable (given that VS140COMNTOOLS points to the /tools folder instead of the /ide or /common7 folder). denenv is located in /microsoft/common7/ide

I'm not sure why it worked after installing, but started failing seemingly randomly after restarting Unity a few times. I'll do a fresh install of Unity and VS Tools and see if I can get it to work and what the logs say when operating normally.

Log shows

EditorHelper: Searching for Visual Studio 2015 installation using the VS140COMNTOOLS environment variable.
    EditorHelper: No Visual Studio 2015 installation found.
    EditorHelper: Your preferences indicate Visual Studio should be found here: i:/microsoft/common7/tools/../ide/devenv.exe
    EditorHelper: We did not find a matching Visual Studio installation. We will look for a default Visual Studio installation.
    EditorHelper: Looking for a running Visual Studio session.
    EditorHelper: No appropriate running Visual Studio session not found, creating a new one.
    EditorHelper: Retrying communication to Visual Studio session using ::CoCreateInstance( clsid, NULL, CLSCTX_LOCAL_SERVER, EnvDTE::IID__DTE, (LPVOID*)&punk ) (result = 0x800702E4)

40. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

Could you submit a bug report with the additional info, please :D

41. tylerw-savatronix

tylerw-savatronix

Yep, will do. I had to wait till now to reinstall (my ISP has been having some terrible ingestion issues). Trying to see if I can repo it after an uninstall/reinstall so I can provide even more info.

holliebuckets likes this.
  42. asperatology

asperatology

Quick question: Are the issues (issues reported by many in this whole thread) commonplace?

43. Baste

Baste

There's no real way to tell. I haven't seen any reports from anybody that's on Windows and who's not using any major plugins, so if that's you,you're probably good.

44. tylerw-savatronix

tylerw-savatronix

Bit of an update, I was able to repro it on my end after uninstall/reinstalling Unity and VSTU.

It worked after the install, though with a bit of an issue; I have denenv.exe set to always open as administrator (common practice with VS whenever doing stuff that uses IIS which I do for my website). This should trigger the UAC prompt when VS opens, however when double clicking on a script it doesn't, and VS doesn't fully open ("opens" but doesn't actually appear).

After a second double click on a script, it pops right up (without Unity trying the full open process again). This triggered the bug. I closed down VS and tried to open a script again and that's when it starts failing completely to open VS2015 (and instead pops open mono develop).

This time around, After restarting Unity, it at least still recognizes VSTU is installed (in help -> about), but continues to fail to open up VS2015 giving the same error as my (2)above post.

Bug report submitted.

My next attempt is going to check and see what happens if I no longer have VS2015 set to run with elevated privileges.

EDIT***

After clearing the always run with elevated privileges option from denenv.exe it works fine (I've been unable to repro Unity failing to recognize VSTU in help -> about). Flipped it back on, and troubles happen again.

I think (hypothesize?) this is probably related to Unity somehow not triggering UAC when trying to launch an elevated devenv.exe, which in turn screws everything up (maybe windows is going "No UAC, no open - though this doesn't explain why it kind of works the first time).

Edit Again***

I'll update my report when I get the confirmation email (assuming it links me to the report for me to further comment on). Can't find the link till then.

Third Edit ***
    I don't appear to be able to edit or otherwise comment on the bug report. If any of the good folks at Unity (Hollie?) read this again, could you pass along my updates about it probably being UAC/elevated permissions related? Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  45. Acy

Acy

Fresh install of Unity 5.2.1f1 on Windows 10. Selected to install Visual Studio and the tools with Unity. Visual Studio seems to work just fine on its own. In Unity Edit->Preferences->External Tools->External Script Editor does not show Visual Studio as an option. The only option is MonoDevelop. Help->About Unity does not show anything about Microsoft Visual Studio Tools.

46. tylerw-savatronix

tylerw-savatronix

Did you install the VSTU tools from the Unity installer? I've only gotten it to work that way (had to uninstall both VSTU, which I first installed manually, then uninstall Unity, then reinstall Unity selecting VSTU from there).

Edit* Not sure why I typed "Unity explorer" instead of "Unity installer"...mind isn't fully working yet?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  47. tylerw-savatronix

tylerw-savatronix

Edited my second above post but to make sure it gets seen, holliebuckets, any chance you could forward my updates on to the team (or let me know if there's a way to add further comment to an existing bug)? I don't seem to be able to add further notes to the existing bug report and don't really want to file a new bug since it's further repro information on the existing one >.<

48. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

Cool, cool! So did you have to un-install and re-install Unity?? (pinging @karl.jones too) :D

49. tylerw-savatronix

tylerw-savatronix

Not this time. I closed Unity down, removed the elevated privilege option from denenv.exe, loaded Unity back up and it started working fine. Thankfully (for me, not so much for repro-ing) it didn't fail to recognize VSTU today. That might still be a separate issue.

50. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

Thanks so much for all the feedback/reporting. It really makes all the difference <3