Search Unity

Not working Android

Discussion in 'Unity Remote Config' started by dayjur, Nov 13, 2019.

1. dayjur

dayjur

Cant fetch value on android device is this because Android now requires https and Remote Config is using http ?

2. dayjur

dayjur

Thats prob not it I switched to Remote Settings and same result I get value in editor, but not on Android devices, my other project that uses Remote Settings works fine ??

3. rambod

rambod

Unity Technologies

@dayjur is the build you made a development build? If it's not marked as a development build in the build settings window, the game will pull down configs from the Release environment, while in the editor or development builds pull down the configs from the development environment.

4. dayjur

dayjur

You nailed it rambod I simply overlooked putting the key pairs in release lol programmers block or something tx !

rambod likes this.
  5. rambod

rambod

Unity Technologies

@dayjur glad that fixed it, happens to all of us :p feel free to let me know if you think there's a way that we could make that easier to remember!

6. kreso

kreso

@rambod Just a thought: perhaps add a dropdown in the editor preferences for Remote Settings.

-----------------------------------------------------------
    | Editor environment: ✓development |
    | release |
    -----------------------------------------------------------

To go over the top; add a checkbox option
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    | On entering Play mode log environment |
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

I know in a big productions that have staged rollouts etc this options seems non-sensical (even crazy).
    But for indies like me (I have only 1 environment - production), the editor always using the development env is not a good thing. I know somewhere someone will cringe reading this - but that's whats up.

Or - none of this would be needed if maybe there was a way to propagate configs online (via dashboard, from dev->release).
    I don't wish to use my time copying keys manually from dev to release. Plus I can make a mistake that won't be apparent until too late.

rambod likes this.
  7. rambod

rambod

Unity Technologies

@kreso the first bit is an interesting idea. Have you gotten a chance to play around with v1.1.0-preview and onwards? we released the ability for you to create custom environments, so now you no longer get two environments by default. Would love to see if that solves the pain point you're outlining.

As for propagating configs, that's something that's on our near term roadmap, I'll be sure to update you as I have more info.

8. rambod

rambod

Unity Technologies

@kreso one thing that occurred to us is that on the dashboard, there's the ability to export a config as a csv, and also import a config from csv. One option before we add full propagation would be to use that functionality. Let me know what you think

9. kreso

kreso

Thank you for your response @rambod.
    I haven't worked with 1.1.0 yet.
    I'll let you know any feedback after I do.
    Thanks agian!

vd_unity and rambod like this.