Search Unity

Feedback Not very useful Error Details csv file+20 minutes delay impractical for rapid development

Discussion in 'Unity Cloud Content Delivery' started by darashayda, Oct 6, 2021.

1. darashayda

darashayda

The Error Details in Bucket page has several drawbacks which makes it nearly useless:

1. Response Status Code: Only error issued is e.g. 404 or similar Web server error I assume, and that tells us nothing! Error needs to be more informative or why even bother!

2. 20 minutes delay for stats is impractical for frenzied programmers like us, by the time CCD delivers the error I have already made and nuked multiple Addressable builds and tests, cannot recall which error was for what try?

See attached.

IMHO if CCD team went through all that trouble to deliver us to the errors, which we appreciated wholeheartedly and badly needd, unless these recommendations are in place the effort is an exercise in futility:

A. Remove 404 type of web server errors, replace some useful English comments, it would be a good and useful effort not going to waste. For English verbiage please use what customers used in Unity forums. Most of Unity's error messages in English require a PhD in double-speak to decipher!

B. Each entry in the csv should allow for a Group Build id e.g. "Trial 9" which the programmer can then track easier. Therefore in the Groups Window on the Editor offer an option for naming the corresponding build. Uncomplicated thingy but huge benefit.

C. Apropos B allow for a multi-line text box to enter notes e.g. "added sound files and NavMesh to avoid this error ..."

D. Add meta data as following:

i. OS the Group Build was executed on

ii. Editor Version Number

iii. DATE TIME of the build

iv. Unity Build Platform e.g. Android

v. File Name of the Unity Project, the damn Addressable thing is so hard to get to work which makes one make number of independent projects to experiment.

i-iii, v have ghastly impact on bizarre flood of errors, specially for a fast programmer who has never seen Addressables and needs to deliver finished product yesterday.

Best of luck,

Dara

Attached Files: