Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Not syncing correctly..

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by ev3d, Mar 13, 2017.

1. ev3d

ev3d

I have the project on my machine and t runs and compiles fine... On one of my coworkers machines the same project downloaded from collaboration won't compile... we found out the even though we are both synced and have the green check mark, he has an older version of several files...

One more interesting tid bit... he JUST downloaded the code from collaboration... what is going on here? How do you recommend we fix it?

2. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @ev3d! I'm sorry your coworker is having trouble getting the whole project. Can you I get the following info from you:

1) What version of Unity are you using?
    2) How many GB is your project?
    3) What OS are you and your coworker using?
    4) Can your coworker make a small change, like making an empty folder, open the Collab History window, then hit Restore on the latest commit to get their local copy of the project back to what the server has? Do they have the latest version of the project then?
    5) Can your coworker try to download the project into a new folder? Are they still getting older versions of the files?
    6) How many commits are in your Collab History?

3. ev3d

ev3d

1) 5.5.2f1
    2) No idea what you want me to measure here? But collaborate says the entire history is 13 GB
    3) I am using Mac and Windows.. He is using Windows..
    4) So far he has never used "restore".. he always uses "update"...
    5) When he downloads a new copy it DOES NOT give him the correct version of all the files.. we have one folder that always seems to get corrupted..
    6) It shows 45

4. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Thanks for the fast reply.

2) I just meant if you were to right-click on your Assets folder and select Get Info, how big is that folder?

Are YOU able to download a new copy of the project and see the same thing that your teammate is?

Can you also DM your UPID for this project so that we can look into it on the server side?

5. ev3d

ev3d

13.97 GB

6. ev3d

ev3d

Also, he tried the "Restore" and it brought BACK the bad folder... (We replaced it manually to get the project to compile on his machine... so the SERVER is where the issue is.. cause it always downloads the wrong thing..

7. ev3d

ev3d

I am downloading the project on my machine and will report back... but from what i am seeing, my money says it will have the error..

8. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Thank you for the info. We'll look into this on our end and try to let you know as soon as we uncover anything.

One last thing to try. Could you try unlinking your project and creating a new link (effectively creating a new project) from the Settings tab in the Services window? When that finishes, can you have your teammate attempt to download this new project and see if they run into the same issue?

9. ev3d

ev3d

that seems like it will make you unable to fix the original issue if i do that...

10. ev3d

ev3d

is there a way to manually delete the erroneous folder from the server so i can re-upload it?

11. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

You can try to copy your local version of that folder outside of your project, deleting it, then pushing the deleted folder change. Now the corrupted folder should be gone from the server. Have your teammate pull again and verify that they don't have it anymore. Then paste the folder back into the project and push the newly added folder. That should unblock your teammate.

12. Zapgun

Zapgun

I've experienced this same problem with my projects.. it claims the project is entirely synced up, but some of the files are not correctly updated. I found the easiest way to fix it was to go into the affected files, add a space so the file can be re-sent to collaborate, and resync it. It is a pain though..

This is all taking place in the latest version of Unity (5.6) by the way.

13. marzubus

marzubus

Just had this same issue, my really small project, 284Kbyte, some scripts are much older when I use collab to sync from my macbook to my windows desktop. I can modify all my scripts a little bit to get them to sync, but thats gonna suck if I have to redo that all the time.

14. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @marzubus! Would you mind submitting a bug report and posting the bug number here? I'd like to go over your project since it's so small yet it's still exhibiting these sync issues. You can do this by going to Help->Report a Bug.

15. marzubus

marzubus

Hej @ryanc-unity, I logged one, tracking number: 912406

/Kegan

Ryan-Unity likes this.
  16. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Thank you, @marzubus! You mentioned in your bug that you're also using git with your project. Collab is not designed to work alongside other source control options. Can I ask how you're using git along with Collab?

17. marzubus

marzubus

@ryanc-unity I am just using git from command line to occasionally commit and push code for backup purposes. This is only on my mac. collab seems to ignore the .git files. I can nuke the .git files if you want and try reproduce again?

/Kegan

18. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

@marzubus Gotcha. If you could, perhaps you could make a copy of your project and nuke the .git files in that copy, then see if you can repro the issue from there?

19. marzubus

marzubus

@ryanc-unity I have not been able to reproduce the issue.

20. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Thank you for the update. Please let us know if it, or any other issue, comes up again.

21. W4rf4c3

W4rf4c3

Same thing happened to us. An old script wasn't updated even if Collaborate was telling us that all was synched. Back to using .git with Bitbucket I guess...

22. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

Same problem here, one script is out of sync and won't synchronize. I looked at the script that's on the collab server, via the collab history and it is the old version. Somehow the file's checksum matches even though the file doesn't. Case # 916233

23. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

@W4rf4c3 I'm sorry to hear that. Can you go into more detail? Are you working across different OSs? If you look at the Timeline of your project on the Developer Dashboard, does the latest commit list that script as having been updated? Can you navigate to that scrip in the Assets tab and download the latest version from there to check if it has all the latest changes?

24. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

@laurentlavigne Thanks a bunch for submitting the bug report! I'm sorry to hear that you're also running into this issue. We'll continue looking into this. In the meantime, could you try making a tiny change (like adding a space) in that script and uploading that change to see if the latest version gets uploaded to the server?

25. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

The tiny change did sync, another script was out of synch and they were the most obvious cases as they caused compile errors so maybe other scripts or assets were mis-synchronized.
    did you access my repo?

26. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

The tiny change synced but did the out-of-date script sync along with it? Or did just the tiny change get synced?

What text editor are you using when editing your scripts? Have you made sure that the line endings are consistent when going between Mac and Windows? We've noticed recently that issues can come up when there are conflicting line endings inside of the same script.

27. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

monodev, no idea about line ending

28. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

In your logs I'm seeing messages for both 5.6.1p1 and 2017.1.0b7. Do you happen to have both 5.6 and the 2017.1 beta versions of Unity open at the same time?

29. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

30. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Having two different versions of the Editor open at the same time is not supported at this time by Unity. As a general rule we have to ignore bugs that are reported when two versions of the Editor are open. This is because the packages for each version of Unity are not designed to work with other versions. We load the packages at startup in case a different version of Unity was previously run, which overwrites the last ones used. And it seems like your Editor was trying to use the wrong packages.

I apologize for any confusion and if this interferes with your current workflow. We hope to make it possible to have different versions of Unity open at the same time in the future but that's still a ways away. In the meantime, could you try working on your project using one version of Unity at a time to see if the number of issues you run into decreases?

31. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

what package?

you're confusing two things in this thread: conditions under which the bug report is filed and the conditions under which the error occurs. this bug happened when one version of unity is open, the bug was filed opening a second one for convenience.

32. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Sorry, my bad. I've explained them in so many threads that sometimes I lose track of who I've mentioned them too. I'm referring not to a .unitypackage but to the Packages folder from which the Services window and Collab Toolbar are loaded from.

Ah, I gotcha.

We are still looking through your bug to see if we can repro it on our end and come up with a fix. Do you have a guess at around where in your project's history that your PlayerController script was not synced correctly?

33. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

Hard to say because I made quite a few commit since then, I'm browsing in the web page, is there a search function like in asset server?

34. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

At the moment, we do not have a search function for the Timeline on the website. If you're looking for commits on a specific file, though, then you can go to the Assets tab and click on the specific file to see it's entire history.

35. Snaxz

Snaxz

Hello, been having a nasty sync issue myself with Collaborate for quite a while...

Basically, changes I make to gameobjects in the inspector, like changing a value or assigning a variable, do not get synced to the project. The only way I can get changes to sync is if I rename the gameobject in the hierarchy.

Win 10 (both sides)
    Unity 2017.3.0f3 64bit

However this has been going on for quite a few versions. Am I missing something? I would think that if the scene was saved, and in the Collab panel its says its going to push the saved scene file, those tweaks and changes would come thru?

Thanks in advance

36. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @Snaxz! That definitely doesn't sound like intended behavior. Would you mind getting in touch with our Support team so that they can help either unblock you or file a bug? You can find out how to get in touch with them here.

37. Chipinators

Chipinators

I've been having this issue for a while now; throughout Unity 2017 and continued through the latest build of 2018 (2018.2.6f1). I mostly seem to run into the issue when moving scripts around in the assets folder. Unity picks them up as "Moved" on the timeline and stops there, any changes are not tracked so its not marked as "Updated". As someone already said the easiest work-around is to go into all the files that are not being updated, adding a space so the file is picked up as "Updated" by Unity, then re-uploading them.

38. iamthecoolguy11

iamthecoolguy11

same problem with 2017.4.0f1 restoring project does not fix it, haven't tried re-downloading cus it takes 100 years.

39. julien-conan

julien-conan

Everything fine with syncing project on 2019.3.4f1.
    However, I have one folder which doesn't want to sync with the others. It contains .obj files which I can't move without breaking my Prefabs. Any idea ?
    Many thanks

Attached Files:

40. Flavelius

Flavelius

Similar Problem here, locally everything works fine, no errors, nothing to publish in the collab window; but when team members pull the changes they have conflicts with asmdefs/scripts, which i can reproduce in a fresh clone. So something is still broken.

41. ValeryNikulina

ValeryNikulina

Unity Technologies

Hi! Could you please submit a support ticket for us to look closer and investigate this issue? Thank you!

42. Flavelius

Flavelius

I can't attach the project and probably wont have time to create the reproduction project that is often wanted, but i discovered that this seemed to be due to imported asmdefs (through a unitypackage from another project). Reimport etc. didn't fix it, but when i recreated those asmdefs with the same settings the problems went away.
    I hope this helps atleast a bit.

ValeryNikulina likes this.
  43. thelocationlabdeveloper

thelocationlabdeveloper

Surprising to see that My unity scene changes are not recognized by collaboration. I didn't create a new object in my scene. But some of my assignments are missing on some of my objects and it saying my scene is up to date according to the server which is not correct.