Search Unity

Question Not sure if this is the right forum for this but..

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by RichAllen2023, Feb 1, 2022.

1. RichAllen2023

RichAllen2023

If I managed to create a working version of one of the tutorial games, could I transfer it to my phone as an APK without putting the phone into developer mode which my Brother says would brick my phone?

2. jbnlwilliams1

jbnlwilliams1

I have had my phone in developer mode many times. Why does he think it will "brick" it. I do believe that is the only way to 'side load' an APK.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  3. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

@RichAllen2021 It won't brick your phone, I've done this dozens of times without issue. Alternatively you could publish to Closed Test (or Internal Test) on your Google developer dashboard. Then you install it via Google Play and then Developer Mode is not required. But you do need to publish to Google.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  4. Inxentas

Inxentas

Ha ha ha.

I have my phone in developer mode all the time. It's MY phone, isn't it?

How else am I going to install an APK I wrote myself and trust to be devoid of malware? I don't know if it is the only way, but it is the quickest. It just allows you to install whatever Google never sanctioned, such as your own apps.

I am pretty sure the demo games from Unity itself can be trusted. Besides, if your are compiling demo games to your own phone you're exploring what you can do with Unity right? Should you ever manage to brick your phone with an app you wrote yourself, consider it a valuable learning experience. I never managed to do such a thing and I treat my phone like the piece of plastic consumer garbage it is. I'm like 6 months from actively trying to kill it.