Search Unity

Not sure how to sell an infinite runner I'm making.

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by DungeonBrickStudios, Oct 29, 2019.

1. DungeonBrickStudios

DungeonBrickStudios

I'm making a 3D infinite runner for the Android, and it's the standard type fare, not groundbreaking so far as I can tell but I'm trying my best to make it be as fun and up to par as possible.

That said, most runners I've seen use the fremuim model with IAPs (additional characters in my case) and ad-free versions.

I find ads to be super annoying when I myself am playing this type of game (for research purposes of course!) and would really like to make my game ad-free because I just feel like many would appreciate that. At the same time this could be one of those situations where being "virtuous" (i.e. not twisting people's arms with ads) would come at the cost of potential revenue. And selling alternate characters by itself may not be ideal.

So I was thinking of having the main game be a single "level" that seamlessly transitions from one biome to the next, thus spanning many different "levels" in one. Then I would market another level with an equal amount of unique content as a sort of "bonus extension" of the game. My instincts though tell me that this has the potential to not be well received, and could just be risky in general for reasons I am unaware of.

Any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

2. TonyLi

TonyLi

A freemium/premium-priced mobile infinite runner is a tough proposition these days. Remember that you're competing with the install base of Subway Surfers, etc. If you can add a new twist, maybe you can pull some of those people away.

Otherwise, what about using ads as a breather, almost like a reward after an intense section? So they get a chance to rest their reflexes for a moment, but with the promise of something new and exciting as soon as the ad is done.

3. palex-nx

palex-nx

Ads annoyance depends on it's placement in the game. If it allows your players to have additional bonuses and do not destroy their immersion then ads are good and their annoyance are minimal. If you place a banner in the middle of the screen of course nobody will play your game.

SparrowGS likes this.
  4. Martin_H

Martin_H

1. be better at something than your competition
    2. make sure people know about that something
    3. ????
    4. profit