Search Unity

Bug Not sure how to go about submitting this super strange bug in Animator

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by CogentJin, Aug 26, 2021.

1. CogentJin

CogentJin

After a lot of trial and error on figuring out why my Character Controller freezes, I finally figured it out and it's something I've never experienced before. The video posted shows me moving my character normally, dragging in a new animation, and then suddenly he cannot move or jump in the air anymore. Upon deleting the animation, he is able to freely move about again.

https://imgur.com/a/4ShmEL2

Some notes that might be useful:
    -The animation is from Mixamo's Magic Spell Pack
    -Out of the 5 animations I used from that pack, only this particular animation causes this
    -The animation is converted to Humanoid
    -It does not matter whether the animation is linked to another state
    -It also does not matter where in the Animator I place it (like in a sub-state)
    -If I Play the game and hit pause in the Editor, then move the character's transform, he immediately reverts back the next frame. This also explains why when he tries to jump, he goes into the landing animation (as seen in the video) a few moments later
    -If I Play the game and try to manually drag the transform without pausing, he will not budge

So, what do you guys think?

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Is use Root Motion ticked in the animator?

3. CogentJin

CogentJin

It is not, movement is entirely done through script.

4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Yes, but that clip says it has root position and rotation and when one clip in a controller animates a value, suddenly everything other than the animator loses access to it, even if that clip isn't playing.

So I'm pretty sure it's not a bug, it's just the animator being a badly designed POS.

5. CogentJin

CogentJin

You have to be correct but I still have no idea why that's a thing. If you don't mind explaining... I am going to post 3 animation clip properties. The very first one is the culprit (Force Field) and I can clearly see where it says, "Root contains position and rotation curves." The next two clips are just random clips I also use in my Animator that don't stop my character from moving. One of them also says that same quote but lacks the options of the other two. Am I crazy here or is this like a normal thing? Thanks for helping me solve this or at least let me know it's not a bug.

upload_2021-8-26_18-47-32.png

upload_2021-8-26_18-47-43.png

upload_2021-8-26_18-47-52.png

6. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Can you try ticking bake into pose XZ for the force field clip and see if that changes anything?

7. CogentJin

CogentJin

Same result (no transform movement) and I tried both Original and Center of Mass.

8. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Is the root motion checkbox just "off" or does it say "controlled by script"?

9. CogentJin

CogentJin

It is just clicked off.

10. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

How are you moving the character?