Search Unity

Not seeing a place for people with no funding

Discussion in 'Unity Connect' started by Marscaleb, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Marscaleb

Marscaleb

Okay, I've been looking over this "Unity Connect" site for the past day, but I can't seem to find a place to properly try to connect with the kind of people I want to connect with.

Let's get this out in the open: I don't have any capital to hire people. I'm one guy who has been working on a passion project across several years. But I would like to try to connect with some other people who might be willing to contribute to my project. I am serious in my goal to get it published, and would be willing to share profits from my endeavor, but I can't reasonably hire anyone right now.
    But when I look through the Unity Connect site, I can't seem to find a place to properly connect with the kind of people who are willing to work on something in their spare time for what would effectively be for free.

When I click on "talent" I am right away shown people who look to be of a very professional stock. Just about every place I search on that site gives an impression that the people to connect with are the kind who need to get paid for their work.
    I also see a page to post projects, but when I look at these, they don't exactly seem like "recruitment" posts, honestly they seem more like ads.

I just don't feel like there is a place to properly look for the collaboration I am hoping to find. Everything I could post and the people I see appear to be way out of my league.

Shouldn't there be some kind of easy method to sort between those who are looking for paid support and those looking for casual support?

JBR-games and bugfinders like this.
  2. mgear

mgear

i'd like to see that kind of posts in the forums..
    (maybe like WIP thread, so people who are interested can easily follow it and comment/connect)

rarely even visit connect, nothing interesting to see really and website quite daunting.. : /

3. Marscaleb

Marscaleb

I definitely have felt as if I could use an "introduction" page, because it's not really self-evident enough to know what everything is and how it is intended to be used.

4. Rich_A

Rich_A

5. Marscaleb

Marscaleb

Thank you for those links!
    As I look at them though, it is rather sad to think that they are better than Unity Connect. That is, Unity Connect certainly has the potential to be far better than what those forums can offer.
    In a regular forum, you post your project as some single line of text, and it get bumped down the list as others post theirs. Unity Connect already has a page for people to post their projects, and they can have nice pictures that show up when people look at them. If it were combined with a few other search parameters to sort of what kind of work people need, what kind of positions they need, what kind of game or genre or even what other games this game is similar to... With a few parameters like that this could be a really great place for people to talk about their project and it would be really easy for people to find the kind of projects they would want to be a part of.

6. Rich_A

Rich_A

Unity had their own job subforum which was exactly like this. It was decommissioned and replaced with Unity Connect, much to the ongoing dissatisfaction of many.

JBR-games likes this.
  7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I don't see the harm in adding a simple line of text inviting volunteers to help out in your WIP threads. So long as it's really just a mention in the main text. Something like "PM me if you want to contribute"...

JBR-games likes this.
  8. JBR-games

JBR-games

Thank you.. Its unfortunate that unity ruined an easy way for people to quickly and easily look for help.