Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Not possible to import SpeedTree without modeler?

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by camel82106, Feb 27, 2015.

1. camel82106

camel82106

Hello,
    if I just drag and drop or just copy tree.spm file into Unity. It's imported. But tree is rendered only as white triangles quads without materials. Simply materials with textures are not imported correctly.

If I export tree from speedtree modeles (save with assets). It's working nicely.
    But it may be working without modeler no?

Regards
    Peter

2. topofsteel

topofsteel

I dont have the modeler, so I don't know about that. But there are an enormous amount of supporting files for each tree. Bring in the entire folder. I have only brought in sets, not individual trees. The LOD materials are organized nicely in sub directories, but not the textures. They are all in the top directory with the .smp files.

3. camel82106

camel82106

Yeah, copying whole folder is working nicely.

Thank You very much
    Peter

4. spryx

spryx

Anyone else getting trees that are literally massive in size after importing the folder into Unity ?
    I had to scale mine down quite a bit

5. camel82106

camel82106

I was having problem with scale when I converted from feet to meters in modeler.

And then when I import model to Unity it has default scale factor 0.3048 (to convert from feet to meters).
    So it was changed, but that could be easily fixed by setting it to 1. If You have already changed units in modeler.

Or You are working not with meters in Unity?

6. Velo222

Velo222

I am using SpeedTree trees in my game without the modeler, and they work just fine so far. So, I don't think you need to have the SpeedTree modeler at all in order to use trees in your game. I don't have the modeler, and trees are working in my game.

@spryx, yes I think the import scale on a lot of the trees (or all of them) at the moment is quite large. So you just have to reduce their scale to whatever size you want when you put them in your game. It's been a little bit since I've imported a new speedtree model though, so I can't remember exactly. Maybe the SpeedTree team will adjust the default size of their trees in the future. Since SpeedTree just recently got integrated with Unity, I'm sure there's still a few kinks for them to work on.

7. spryx

spryx

I have not used the modeler, but it is good to know that it is not just me. I purchased two trees recently during the sale (Blue Spruce and White Oak).

I still think at $39 regular price/tree...is too much for a tree. True, you are getting more than one LOD, but seriously....its a tree, albeit a very good one. If they had a pack with both desktop and mobile models included I would certainly jump on it.

I did suggest some additional trees that are not currently part of their offering for Unity (Fraser Fir, Red Spruce). I may eventually buy a subscription to the modeler and try to model these myself. How difficult is it to make your own trees?

8. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

The modeler is fun to use and you can spend a lot of time tweaking, if you like.
    I subscribed for a couple of months, but really couldn't see staying subscribed if I wasn't actually using it.
    If I were to subscribe again, I'd have to concentrate on using it.