Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Not Multiplatform? Just Multidevice?

Discussion in 'Authentication' started by CodeMonkeyYT, Aug 13, 2022.

1. CodeMonkeyYT

CodeMonkeyYT

Hey everyone,
    I'm researching Unity Authentication and I'm a bit confused, not sure if I'm missing something.

I was under the impression this was a way to let players sign up with a standard external account like Google/Steam (sort of like OAuth) then they would be able to log in with their Steam credentials on PC, then open the same game on Android, log in with the same Steam credentials and continue.
    But apparently that's not the case?

Apparently Steam uses the Steam API which means it only works on PC if the Steam client is running.
    If I make an Android build I cannot sign in with Steam.
    And Google also only works on Android, and iOS log in only works on iOS.
    It's apparently not a manual player-initiated account log in, just an automatic connection to the service that is already running on that platform.

So basically if I use Steam log in then all that means is I can play a game on my regular PC, then on a separate Windows device I can install Steam and continue from there, so this works on multiple devices but not different platforms, is that right?

If so, then what is the purpose of the external sign in? Is it just multi-device and keeping progress if the player uninstalls?
    It sounds like in most cases anonymous sign in is more than enough.

Is there any plan to support multiplatform like how I thought it worked? Perhaps some kind of cross-platform Unity Id system for the players to use?

Also since Steam log in requires a Steam App Id it means you can't use it if you don't have a Steam App Id, I thought I could make a simple quick prototype and use my Steam credentials to make an account, but apparently I need a Steam App Id and the player needs to own the game.

gferrari, spinaljack and Kreshi like this.
  2. chengg_unity

chengg_unity

Unity Technologies

Hello @CodeMonkeyYT ,

Thank you so much for reaching out!
    Currently, Unity Authentication supports cross-platform log in through Facebook sign in and OpenID Connect compliant identity providers.
    We understand this is very limited, and we are investigating different options to expand the cross-platform support:
    • Additional 3rd party login (ex: Discord, Twitch and others)
    • Username & Password sign in and sign up
    • Email & Password sign in and sign up
    • Code exchange between devices
    If you have any feedback, please let us know!

Best regards,
    Cheng

Kreshi likes this.