Search Unity

Question "Not enough space" but there is

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by redrangercj, Sep 18, 2021.

1. redrangercj

redrangercj

Hello, I am trying to install unity on my external drive beacuse i didnt get a big enough drive built in to my computer, it says there is enough space in the first step then says there isnt enough space when i select the next step
    First step:
    Screenshot 2021-09-17 194616.png
    Second step i get an error:
    Screenshot 2021-09-17 194542.png
    Hope you can help!
    (i am trying to install v2020.3.18f1)

2. Doesn't matter, download does not happen on that drive.

If you use the beta Hub:
    screenshot.png

And BTW, having editors on external drives can make Hub funky especially if you forgot and detach the external drives.

You should really buy a decent sized internal HDD or more likely SSD and put it in your computer. You will need it for your projects too. Drives are relatively cheap nowadays.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2021
    Ryiah likes this.
  3. Ryiah

Ryiah

While your goal may be to install it to the external drive the reality is Unity Hub will first download the files to a temp folder on the internal boot drive before it starts the installation. Use of the internal boot drive doesn't stop there either as both Unity and Unity Hub store files in the %AppData% location of it.

This is why when people ask me what hardware I recommend I always tell them to buy a decent sized internal boot drive. Ideally with more capacity than you think you will need because apps will use it to store more than just the binaries of the app. After all it's a headache to upgrade the drive once the system is fully set up.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021