Search Unity

Not enough details/grass on large terrain

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Gushgarak, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Gushgarak

Gushgarak

Hello everyone,

I have a problem with the grass I am able to paint on large terrain (4096*4096)

This issue has been raised on several posts but so far I haven't seen any answer that would solve the issue.

On a "default" terrain (just hit create 3D object - terrain) you can have a large number of grass being paint on terrain. This even without maxing out all detail parameters.

The first print screen has been taken on a simple terrain with no modifications on the settings

However with a 4096*4096 terrain even with max details paramter (detail Density to 1, Detail resolution per patch to 8, detail resolution to 4048 which is the max enabled by unity) the grass density is much lower - see second print screen.

Any solution to bypass these limitations ?

Many thanks for your kind help.

Kind Regards,

Attached Files:

2. ron-bohn

ron-bohn

Dense grass on the size terrain you are talking about will probably be too slow and cause tons of lag in your framerate. The built-in way for doing grass in unity is not the best. You might want to consider gpu instancing for your grass. An asset such as this can make doing that a lot easier: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/utilities/gpu-instancer-117566

3. Gushgarak

Gushgarak

Hi ron,

Thanks for the answer.

That is exactly the asset I am using :) That's why I want to go wild with the grass density - because it becomes so cheap. With the instancer I can transform the patch in cross quads so it definitly look denser - but I still think its lacking compared to what you can do on smaller terrain.

Kind Regards,

4. ron-bohn

ron-bohn

Nice!

5. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

I use vegetation studio pro which draws the grass within the field of view/frustrum. I can have the grass really thick on an 8k terrain as you have control over the distance its rendered and is constantly unrendered behind and to the sides. Lower poly grass would be even better.

I do lose some performance if I make the grass too dense and rendered far into the distance but for lower poly grass like the images above I would presume that the performance would be pretty good.

Velo222 likes this.