Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Not enough contrast... not deep enough blacks (using Standard Render Pipeline)

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by daveinpublic, Dec 19, 2020.

1. daveinpublic

daveinpublic

Hey,

I have a game that I feel like the contrast is too low. I thought the blacks should be blacker, but wasn't sure if it was my eyes not seeing it correctly.... I tried turning down every light, looking through every setting in the lighting window.

Then I upgraded my project to URP, and all of a sudden I got the darker blacks I was wanting. The problem is, I can't use URP yet, because of a few issues, so I have to go back to the standard renderer, which has the grayish blacks.

Below you can see Standard (Left) and URP (Right):

Is this a common issue? Am I missing something basic? All my settings are exactly the same in the lighting window (fog, environmental lighting), and am using the same number of lights.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
  2. Mauri

Mauri

Both new rendering pipelines HDRP and URP handle lights (and overall rendering) differently:
    (Source)

Have you tried lightmapping your Scene?

3. daveinpublic

daveinpublic

Thanks for the help!

I wound up finding a different fix. In SRP, I went to the Lighting window, under Environmental Reflections, decreased Intensity Multiplier to 0. Now it looks like URP even though URP's Intensity Multiplier is still at 1.