Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Not Enough Advanced, or Any Character Customization Tutorials (What's up with that?)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DarkWolf4564, Jul 13, 2017.

?

If you don't want to comment, but still like to agree/disagree to this.

1. I agree

33.3%
  2. I disagree

66.7%
  1. DarkWolf4564

DarkWolf4564

Pretty much what the title says... (I'm talking about customizing Clothes, Body, Species, etc.)
    Anyways, the reason I created this topic is so we can talk about how there's basically no Advanced/Basic Character Customization Tutorials. If there is, the chances are it's probably outdated. I've been looking all over to find them, but it's just not showing.

2. neginfinity

neginfinity

The way I see it, it is a fairly advanced concept, and by the time you need it, you know how to do it in several ways.

I mean. Basic customization means attaching stuff to skeleton and changing its color.
    Advanced means joining multiple meshes together.

Then there's uma.

Aside from maybe uma (which is supposed to have several videos, somewhere), I don't see any "tutorial" material here -> it is something that can be explained in one sentence, and if you have sufficient skill, you'll be able to implement it.

3. mysticfall

mysticfall

Unity doesn't provide such a feature out of the box, and since the 3rd party assets that support it (notably, UMA and MCS) do it in their own respective manner, it's not easy to write such documents that cover each of them.

So, for now, I guess it'd be best to choose one of those 3rd party assets and read its documentation to learn how to use the asset, or even to implement similar features yourself.

4. FMark92

FMark92

If it's so niche that there isn't even a tutorial for it then it's not really on the top of the "to implement" feature list.

On another note: hello cat people!

HolBol, mysticfall and neginfinity like this.
  5. neginfinity

neginfinity

Actually there was an asset-bundle-based example on asset store, developed by unity.
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/8

I haven't actually looked through it, but as far as I can tell, it is mostly object reparenting. One of the first projects I did in unity was an attempt to make a character customization system, but that was before I discovered that UMA existed.

:D

It is funny, if you think about it. There are several "cat people" developers, several "dog people" on unity support, and then we have a hippopotamus and a gorilla on moderation team.

I wonder if there's a pattern.
    :D

Stardog, theANMATOR2b and FMark92 like this.
  6. derf

derf

Cats and dogs developing together...mass hysteria!

Whippets likes this.
  7. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

You normally don't build characters in Unity. Look to blender/maya/3D max. I'd eat a cat if there wasn't a decent character building and customisation tutorial there.

Teila likes this.
  8. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

A hippo a gorilla - and Eric! :D

Regarding the topic - it is a feature that can be done a dozen different ways depending upon the platform, the type of game, the type of customization. No one size fits all - and that is a good thing.

dogzerx2 likes this.
  9. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Break apart what we're really talking about when customizing characters, and it's just a series of things you already know, put together.

Changing materials, replacing objects, modifying proportions ... all these subjects individually are easy to learn about and solve.

Then it's up to you how much customization or what sort.

Deleted User and theANMATOR2b like this.
  10. Farelle

Farelle

it's too specific need :) and a lot of it, is not even code wise challenging, but more about how to set up materials and meshes correctly (and it's quite fiddly and tedious work)

theANMATOR2b and dogzerx2 like this.
  11. ikazrima

ikazrima

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  12. mysticfall

mysticfall

Farelle and FMark92 like this.
  13. abdo400

abdo400

Neither there are tutorials for advanced AI too!

14. orb

orb

Character customisation can be done in so many ways that we could get a dozen tutorials, and people would still not be satisfied.

2D or 3D? If 2D - skeletal animation with separate components, or layered components with all different animation states on each, or simple colour substitution? If 3D - mere colour changes and fixed models, or replace parts, or layered parts, or if the "character" is a vehicle - add parts, or deformable UMA-style, or a mix of all of the above?

If there were to be any official tutorials I'd vote for a simple one on body part replacement and weapon/tool attachment to hands, plus perhaps an intermediate tutorial on making shaders/substances for visual customisation on the fly. But as mentioned earlier in this thread, those are things you probably know by the time you need them :)

theANMATOR2b likes this.