Search Unity

normal maps wont work.

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Sosuke, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Sosuke

Sosuke

Hey there. So when I apply a normal map to my objects they are not doing anything.

they are all tagged as normal maps and I am working in a mac/pc build. I am not sure what else could be wrong, but when they are plugged in there is no difference at all from when they are not plugged in. (using bumped/diffuse or transparent cutout bumped/diffuse)

any help at all would be appreciated.

thank you.

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

You need to use pixel lighting.

--Eric

3. Sosuke

Sosuke

where can I turn this on? sorry i am still really new to all this stuff.

4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

The number of pixel lights in the quality settings must be above 0, and the render mode of the light should be "important" if "auto" isn't working.

--Eric

5. Sosuke

Sosuke

I changed pixel lights to 16 to match the same number of lights as are in my scene, and turned the main sunlight to important, and nothing has been changed.

is there something else I could be missing?

6. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

7. Sosuke

Sosuke

I have been threw all of that already with no luck. thanks for the help though, if you think of anything I might try please post back here.

I am going to try some normal testing with other objs from xsi and see if any on them work.

8. Sosuke

Sosuke

ok I figured out what is happening and hopefully now some one will be able to help.

my normals work fine on my objects until I use light mapping. as soon as I do they go completely flat as if they are not there at all. is there a way around this? I find that my mesh doesnt shadow itself properly if I dont bake lightmaps. what am I doing wrong?

9. cupsster

cupsster

use legacy shaders