Search Unity

Normal mapped smoke and fire.

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by jack-riddell, Aug 17, 2016.

1. jack-riddell

jack-riddell

BigImageBackground.png
    Hi my name is Jack Riddell and i have been working on a normal mapped smoke and fire package for mobile devices called Lit Smoke and Fire. the package is a continuation of the work I did on this package https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/60561 and you can see the progress up to this point in this thread http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/volumetric-smoke-shader.358315/ .

The unity asset store has a lot of good looking particle effects but once you put them into a real game environment they often look broken and out of place. The prebaked lighting and fixed effect sorting that look so good in controlled demonstration scenes on the asset store are not flexible and responsive enough to work in a real game environment with dynamic lighting intensity, colour and direction. The particle effects in Lit smoke and fire are designed to adders all these problems. By using brand new custom shader set talored for particle effects that can render multiple light sources as well as emissive self lighting all in a single pass Lit Smoke and Fire will deliver AAA quality particle rendering for dynamic environments on mobile and HTML 5 platforms.

There have been a lot of "Normal mapped particles" packages made for unity but so far as i can tell none can do per pixel textured normal mapping on mobile and low end platforms and the only existing package that can do per pixel particle normals is my previous package here https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/60561. If you want an example of the difference between per pixel and per vertex normal mapping here are 2 examples from my previous package.

Lighting is critical to our understanding of a virtual space. by adding complex per pixel lighting to smoke effects you can better communicate to the player the shape and location of the smoke relative to other things in the world.

On mobile devices performance is key. All the shaders in this package have been optimized to run on low end devices. I have rewritten soft particle shading to be more efficient than stock unity and unlike the stock unity shaders Lit Smoke and Fire is designed to do as many of the calculation as possible on the vertex instead of on the pixel reducing the massive performance killer that is overdraw.

No matter how well you optimize there will always be platforms that cant keep up that is why the shaders in Lit smoke and Fire have many performance options built in. Everything from the number of light souces to the complexity/accuracy of the calculations is adjustable at run time. Lit smoke and fire also comes with 6 shader variants, 2 high quality, 2 medium quality and 2 low quality so even if you cant turn the light setting down low enough on one you can always go down a level in shader to get the performance you need.

Good effects are a marriage of technology and art, even the best shaders can't create anything beautiful without exceptional art assets. Lit smoke and fire will come with 57 high quality textures in 128,100,64 frames from 4k to 8k resolution. Also included in the package is a blender file set up for rendering out new smoke effects and step by step instructions on how to compile the resulting images into the Lit smoke and Fire format.

There are a ton more features i could talk about like frame blending,light forward scatter and custom emitter handeling but I don't have time now and will go into more detail about them in the future. At the moment I am looking for feed back as well as a small group of testers that can put what I have built through its paces before it gets released.

2. yc960

yc960

would like to sign up for beta

3. Martin_H

Martin_H

Count me in for testing!

4. John-G

John-G

Can help out too if needed.

5. radimoto

radimoto

I'm interested in joining the beta if there are still places. Cheers

6. zugsoft

zugsoft

Interesting, I have many Android device, iOS and Windows Phone device, so if you need a beta tester, I am here.

7. Puzzledust

Puzzledust

Hi Jack,
    I'm very interested in this as well. We are working on a VR project and want to test this out. VRs requirements are in some cases more stringent than mobile for particles. Would you be open to letting me in on the beta?

8. jack-riddell

jack-riddell

Unfortunately this ONLY works on mobile due to some shader limitations and some limitations with Unity.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  9. jack-riddell

jack-riddell

Once this asset is released I will be reprogramming my previous package with the new assets and features

10. Arany666

Arany666

Hi! I'm really looking forward to test your system on mobile! Loved your normalmapped smoke the mobile version will have its place in my game! I could test for you on Nexus 5x, nexus 7 old one, z3 compact with your project and with my game. Can test on Ipad Mini2 if you make a testflight build to!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  11. jack-riddell

jack-riddell

12. yc960

yc960

On the http://hitboxteam.com/HxVolumetricLighting/ support for this shader, it seems that a custom screen position function is used insteal of ComputeScreenPos(o.vertex) and COMPUTE_EYEDEPTH; which means that for me to work in the transparency support i have to calculate screen and depth twice. I think that is unnecessary, and it would realy help if you offer some tips to how to do this.

One more question: is it ok if I pass your shaders to the HxVolumetricLighting guy to have him implement the support?

13. HMTEngineering

HMTEngineering

Is this available somewhere ?

unityunity