Search Unity

Resolved Normal Map "Twisting" Surface Reflection? Reflection probe causing strange artifact?

Discussion in 'Shader Graph' started by Hawknose, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Hawknose

Hawknose

Hi all-
    For lack of a better word for it, when I increase the strength of my normal map to a nonzero value, the reflection of the scene in my metallic-1 and smoothness-1 material "twists" and produces an unacceptable effect.

At 0 normal strength

At 0.03 normal strength

At 0.2 normal strength

At full normal strength from another perspective. Notice the warped spiral looking thing in the reflection of the surface, as well as the square of color that resembles the surrounding terrain (this is also a bug).

The aforementioned square is at least in part due to a reflection probe which is sitting in the "water". I noticed that when I move the probe up above the surface (and hence its influence volume), the color goes away but it obviously no longer has any impact on the surface itself.

Has anyone encountered either of these issues before, or have any guidance on the matter? I'd appreciate any information.

2. Elizabeth_LeGros

Elizabeth_LeGros

Unity Technologies

Hello!
    This is a shadergraph material, correct? If so, could you please post the graph of the material?
    My first thought with the "twisting" is the sort of issue you get when your normal map is not being interpreted in the correct space. Here's an example of what I mean - if I import this texture as a normal map then the correct space conversions are done, whereas if I import it as a default texture then I get a twisting reflection similar to what you described. twisting.gif

Hawknose and hippocoder like this.
  3. Hawknose

Hawknose

You're right - the "twisting" went away once I set the normal map to be interpreted as one. I didn't realize that property has as much of an effect as it does!

Elizabeth_LeGros likes this.
  4. Dyzinel

Dyzinel

Had the same problem and ended up here while searching for an answer.
    Turns out my export setting was correct from the very beginning, but the Shader Graph node "Sample Texture 2D" had the "Type" property set to "Default" instead of "Normal". Switching it completely solved the issue.