Search Unity

Nook Color.

Discussion in 'Android' started by nathan.harvey.hansen, Nov 17, 2010.

1. nathan.harvey.hansen

nathan.harvey.hansen

Does the Android license work on Nook Color?

2. eriQue

eriQue

Unity Technologies

By reading the specs provided by wikipedia, I would say yes (ie Android OS 2.1 and Cortex A8 CPU ie ARMv7 (TI OMAP 3621, possibly close to the one in Motorola Droid2)).

3. Wozik

Wozik

Nathan Hansen, we didn't test that device. I can give you the Android trial license if you can test and provide some feedback =)
    email me to oleg@unity3d.com if you're interested.

4. Bootstrap Bill

Bootstrap Bill

Is anyone using the Nook Color for Android development? Is the Nook Color a good choice?

5. Gl0r

Gl0r

Not tested yet? Heh... i think it would be me :) Will try to do it before NY.

6. outtoplay

outtoplay

Would be very interested to know if it worked with the Nook. Never even considered the idea.

7. outtoplay

outtoplay

NO info as to whether UT Android can publish to the Color Nook?

8. Wozik

Wozik

I guess we'll have to buy one to answer this question =)
    So, now it all depends on FedEx shipping speed :p

9. SeantronForever

SeantronForever

Here's my first test of my game on a Nook Color. I didn't have to root it, I am on the Nook Dev site now:

http://vimeo.com/26356918

It runs really well, surprisingly.

10. Deleted User

Deleted User

I'm trying out HyperBowl on the nook Color right now (also in the dev program) - I think it looks good, but there is more texture banding and some crackling in the audio. This is also my chance to take advantage of the new platform-specific Texture Compression option in the build settings.

11. trancerobot

trancerobot

It works great with Nooks using Cyanogen Mod.

I didn't know Unity would work with the stock Nook Color though. When I get a better Android tablet, I'll restore mine to the stock software and develop for that as well.

12. Deleted User

Deleted User

I found one problem - Unity sets installLocation in the manifest to prefExternal, which is cause for rejection by the nook developer program.

13. DanTreble

DanTreble

Interesting, let us know if there is anything else you have to change.

14. Deleted User

Deleted User

That was the only problem (well, I also removed OpenFeint because I didn't think it looked right). Anyway, I removed installLocation from the manifest and HyperBowl was approved today! Should be on the nook store, soon.

15. DanTreble

DanTreble

\

Is that because Nook users don't expect OpenFeint, or because you don't expect them to have internet, or simply because their UI looked crap?!

Great success :)

16. Deleted User

Deleted User

Some combination of the above. I ported from my paid OpenFeint Android version, but I have a lousy Internet connection, the resulting popup covered the screen and seemed confusing, and then I rationalized maybe Nook customers won't care about it, anyway.

Thanks! I just added OpenFeint to the free version of HyperBowl on the Android Market (the paid version doesn't have enough customers to make an interesting leaderboard!), so anyone with a rooted nook can try that out.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.technicat.HyperBowl

17. Deleted User

Deleted User

18. RefinedGames

RefinedGames

Hi Guys,
    I thought I'd try out the Nook as an Android test device. Can't seem to get the ADB (or Unity) to recognize it. Do I need special permission after becoming a qualified dev or something? I'd rather not root it. Thanks!
    Jeremy

Oh yeah... I'm on a MacBook. Unity 3.3 still.

19. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yes, if you register on their developer site you can access their Knowledge Base which explains that and how to move on to becoming an approved developer.

https://nookdeveloper.barnesandnoble.com/

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2011
  20. Deleted User

Deleted User

21. DanTreble

DanTreble

22. Deleted User

Deleted User

I just submitted a bug report about mosaic distortions appearing over textures with UV animations that I've only seen on the NOOK Color. Anyone else seen this?

23. audifan1

audifan1

I have an app being developed for Nook Color using Unity and my developer is running into the issue where he can't wire Nooks "home" button to the app. Has anybody here run into this issue while developing apps for Nook Color?

Thanks in advance

24. Deleted User

Deleted User

I just check Input.GetKeyDown("escape")

25. DanTreble

DanTreble

Keep it in the range 0-1. Depending on the register the gpu uses for texture coordinate calculation, it can be easy to pop the range with high numbers. Some cards are 16bit int with fixed point precision.

Code (csharp):
    1. Vector2 newTextureOffSet = material.mainTextureOffset + speed * Time.deltaTime;
    2. material.mainTextureOffset = new Vector2(newTextureOffSet.x % 1.0f, newTextureOffSet.y % 1.0f);

26. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks! I should've thought of that - now I remember seeing that mentioned somewhere else on the forums.

27. audifan1

audifan1

Thanks for the reply. We'll try that.

28. Deleted User

Deleted User

My second app on the NOOK Color is Fugu Maze. It uses the prime31 etcetera plugin to choose wall textures from the picture/photo album. Here's an example using one of the pre-supplied stock images:

Attached Files:

29. RefinedGames

RefinedGames

Looks nice Technicat. How long has your wait been for review? I submitted meta data 2 weeks ago... and nothing yet. Is that typical?

30. Deleted User

Deleted User

Both of my apps got approved in a few days (and it takes a little bit longer for it to actually show up on the store), but it does seem to vary - I've heard complaints from others about long approval times.

31. KevinJohnson25

KevinJohnson25

Hi everyone,

I've got an app ready for the Nook Color but for some reason it's not responding to the "n" button on the device. The first few time I built the app everything was fine but now the "n" button does nothing. Has anyone else run into this? I'm pretty sure the app will be rejected unless I fix this.
    Thanks!

EDIT: I guess it's worth noting that using the home button on my Android phone works fine with my app. This is something I'm only seeing on the Nook Color.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  32. Deleted User

Deleted User

Did you check the escape key, as mentioned earlier on this page?

33. KevinJohnson25

KevinJohnson25

@technicat,

I tried it before and it didn't work, but now all of a sudden it's working so I'm not going to question it :) One more quick question though, is B&N ok with making the "n" button quit the application entirely. How have you handled it in the apps you've gotten approved?

34. Deleted User

Deleted User

I always have the 'n' button bring up a menu, just like the esc key would do on dekstop versions of my app (and keep in mind, escape is not the same as home - see the sticky thread on menu and back keys) It seems to me that simply exiting would be fine, but that's really more a question for the nook dev portal (and I think there are some user interface guidelines there on how they expect the key to be used).

35. ncst

ncst

Has anyone built their game for the Nook Tablet yet? If so, do you have any tips on changes you need to make for the Tablet? I was hoping that if my game ran on the Nook Color, it would also run on the Tablet, but my app was rejected because on the Tablet the game closed immediately after starting up.

I realize that the Tablet is built on Gingerbread (API 10) while the Color is on Froyo (API 8): would I need to build the apk targeting 10 (and use a separate apk for the Tablet)?

36. Deleted User

Deleted User

@ncst I've had a couple of HyperBowl updates approved for the Nook Color and Nook Tablet. I've tested them on the Color but not the Tablet - if there's a problem, I hope someones tells me! (maybe I'll just have to get a Tablet to be sure)

37. ncst

ncst

@technicat: you got farther than I did. My game did not even pass review/approval for the Tablet, but it did pass for the Color. I don't have a Tablet handy, but I'm trying to get the tablet emulator working, so that I can try to replicate the error. Thanks for the help!

38. Deleted User

Deleted User

@ncst Are you using the latest version of Unity? I don't remember the details but I think it has improved Android support.

39. ncst

ncst

I believe so (3.4.2). The build works fine on the Color, so I'm not sure what the problem is (the feedback from technical review was pretty sparse: "Rejected: On the tablet this app closes itself immediately after launch. Please correct." I'm curious to find out if the game crashed, or if somehow the Tablet triggered the game to exit (I look for the escape key to close the game from the main menu - to get the Home Key input, and it will close if it thinks it is a webplayer build that is not hosted on my website, but I don't imagine that would be triggered here). So, I may have to get ahold of a Tablet and test it out.

40. ncst

ncst

So, it turns out that it was a problem with my Unity version. I had 3.4.2f2 installed, and did not realize that "Check for updates" would not indicate I needed to upgrade to 3.4.2f3. Well, now the game works fine (on an emulated Tablet)!

41. ncst

ncst

My first app is out for the Nook Color: Escape from Zargnon. Nook Tablet support is coming soon.

EfZ is a simple, 3D side-scrolling game, created as part of a research project (you can read more about it on our blog). We're still working on getting the terrain to look "nice," but for now are simply using openGL1.1. The basic premise is that you are a space explorer who has crashed on an alien planet, and you need to fight through a set of levels/stages to repair your ship. Along the way, you'll learn new attack and defense skills, and be attacked by more complex mobs of hostile aliens. Hopefully we can get a web version ready to show off sometime soon!

42. iRetrograde

iRetrograde

Hey guys, how's it going?

Technicat. I'm wondering if you have tried running any other plugins through the Nook?

Any success with plug-ing platforms in such as Facebook? Twitter? Tapjoy? Open Feint? Flurry?

I'm wondering to what extent there could be any problems if any with these additions. I'm currently working on a word game and would love to bring it over to the Nook platform if certain things work. If you guys have any information on this, that would be awesome.

Thank you!

43. Deleted User

Deleted User

@IRetrograde - I haven't tried any other plugins besides the etcetera plugin. Also, I haven't updated any of my Nook apps with Unity 3.5, yet. I don't think they allow OpenFeint, but you should check the Nook developer forum to be sure.

44. wasiqaftab

wasiqaftab

HI Guys

i am using unity 5 personal version i try to import the unity for nook hd+ but i cant see the graphics just sound :). i go to my logcat in esclipe i got this error.

03-27 15:43:57.678: E/Unity(701): [EGL] Unable to find a configuration matching minimum spec!

i try verious options to import but noting is working. any help is appriciated.

i am using nook hd+ emulator. didnt test on live device