Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

noob to pro in one week

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by iamthwee, Dec 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iamthwee

iamthwee

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to start a thread, to log my progress. My aim is to go from noob to pro in a week. I'll be blitzing as many youtube tutorials as possible. As of now I'm literally downloading unity as we speak. Wish me luck.

CaoMengde777 likes this.
  2. sowatnow

sowatnow

Good luck... Wish it was possible... At least give it a year easily just to understand the basic language etc..

3. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

"I have a dream... to learn unity in 1 week... 50 weeks have gone by... its still a dream..."

And that is what it will be like. Still good luck, you made me realize that I never thought the WIP section would be WIP someones knowledge... ;)

4. Haseeb_BSAA

Haseeb_BSAA

It has been about 1 year and 3 months since I started Unity (Though I've been into game development way before that).
    I also skipped many months in between due to exams or simply being lazy. I can say that still in that time , I learned SO MUCH of modeling , programming , unity itself and almost every concept that I need for my game including 2D and 3D. If you have interest , you'll learn game development faster than you think. Just take interest in it. Learn the important concepts and try to solve your problems and discover ways to do things yourself. Game Development is something that you get better every time you do it. Best of luck but I'm sorry , in 1 week , you can't be a pro. You can't be a pro until you fail.

RavenOfCode and iamthwee like this.
  5. mathias234

mathias234

This will be interesting, I am going to watch this thread

theANMATOR2b and iamthwee like this.
  6. JasonBricco

JasonBricco

I'm 2 years and 4 months in with Unity and still wouldn't call myself "pro" :). Maybe our definitions of "pro" differ. (Granted, I started out with minimal programming experience prior to starting Unity - a year's worth of taking various courses, but not really making my own projects. Maybe you have a lot of experience already.)

Yash987654321 and iamthwee like this.
  7. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

You'll generally hit the pro level once you have roughly 10,000 hours of experience in something. At 12 hours per day you'll have 84 hours into this in one week. You'll definitely end up more experienced than you are now although you might end up a just a tad short of pro level.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  8. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Seems pretty cool, following.

iamthwee likes this.
  9. Dantus

Dantus

Good luck!
    Do you have some kind of a roadmap for this week or do you have an idea for a game that you would like to create as you are learning? Do you plan to focus on certain areas to master them?

10. rbx775

rbx775

Focus on becoming a comedian instead, less effort ! :p

No, seriously its funnily naive. I like it !
    Depends a bit on the definition of a "pro". A professional is also someone who can estimate workloads and deadlines realistically thanks to his experience.
    So... thats already bit ironic. ^^
    But thats a matter of your definition I guess !

More then success, I wish you alot of fun learning !
    Thats the important part.

theANMATOR2b, RavenOfCode and Kiwasi like this.
  11. Kona

Kona

I found unity in 2012 and there's still tons of stuff left to learn. But in case you actually would succeed with your challenge- spending thousands of hours less then most people would have to-, I shall sacrifice my finest cow in your honor. 'Cause then you're not human and thus must be some sort of god... not that I've any religious interest what so ever though... :)
    Godspeed!

(PS. don't get disappointed if you would not succeed in a week, in that case just give it a little more time and show patience)

Kiwasi likes this.
  12. CaoMengde777

CaoMengde777

good luck! what have you done so far??

cookingwithunity aka pushypixels on youtube is where i started ... but its kinda no so great as a tutorial, but it got me to understand the workflow, parenting, having a handler empty object, putting scripts on objects, understand components etc..

quill18creates has some decent tutorials to follow and learn a system
    hardlybriefdan too ... sometimes they make mistakes but its kinda easy to figure out if you know
    couple other good ones, i forget

C# pickup a good book on it (i use as reference C#4.0 in a nutshell its like $5 on amazon cause its outdated but so is Unity (it uses 3.5?) .. or on edx.org there was a free class from microsoft i took, helped ALOT for me. .. its visual studio C# for universal windows apps, but its the same.. for unity you just use Unity API instead
    https://www.edx.org/course/programming-c-microsoft-dev204x-1

and lol obviously:
    http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials
    and
    http://unity3d.com/learn/live-training

lol i dont think ive done so much of those, done a few .. lol i should

iamthwee likes this.
  13. iamthwee

iamthwee

Thank you for all the support and encouragement. This is actually a great idea - a roadmap. I still need to download unity because unfortunately I went out drinking with my friend yesterday and got wasted. I am hung over this Sunday -lol

Day1 - Plan to get familiar with the unity interface, how it works, where stuff is, how to import stuff, hotkeys.
    Day2 - Complete a simple 2D game, design the assets, program it
    Day3 - Move to a 3D game, bring in a simple 3D rig, not caring about textures, get it move inside unity.
    Day4 - Lighting, pro lighting setups, spot lamp, lights, directional lights, particle systems
    Day5 - Figure out how the basic mechanics of an object, moving, translation, rotation, ending and spawning.

Day6 -Create a kind complete platform or 3D game, one level, limited enemies/basic movement, point scoring.

Day7- Kick back, have a coffee, twiddle my thumbs, and admire my transition from noob to pro.

^^What do you guys think.

pcg likes this.
  14. Jim_West

Jim_West

Thats not from noob to pro, thats from zero to I know a bit about Unity.
    I work with Unity now for about ~3 years and I wouldn't call myself a Pro.
    Do you know C# like a Pro?

rbx775 and Teila like this.
  15. sowatnow

sowatnow

On Day 8, start a new project and read/watch every tutorial again for the next 7 days. Keep doing this for at least a year so that you become independent of tutorials/guidelines. Continue doing this for at least 3-4 years...

16. iamthwee

iamthwee

God no, I hate anything microsoft orientated, even if mono is just a clone. This is the part I'm going to dread the most.

What would you consider a Pro or a pro game to be completed in a week. In the other thread I was linked to some pixelated point and click flash game by (lundadare or someone or maybe that's the contest name) which the majority of people classified as being 'great', so I thought my task objectives would qualify me for this? lol

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  17. Jim_West

Jim_West

Doing a game in a week isn't pro, cause a real game can't be made in a week.
    The testing alone for a good game would take weeks (and believe me, there will be bugs).
    Just look at all the crap people are uploading on Steam greenlight, they're also thinking that they can make games in a short period of time.

You also need to know c# really good to utilize all the stuff that saves you a lot of written code ( like delegates, coroutines).
    You're interested in learning it, which is good, but the experience is what makes the difference. You can only earn it with doing it for a longer period of time.

18. iamthwee

iamthwee

Can you show me screenshots of a game 3 years in, and maybe post a sample snippet of a function /method.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  19. Jim_West

Jim_West

What snippet? I recommend this page:
    https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/topics/scripting

If you understand everything there (especially Intermediate), you can say "I understand what I'm doing".
    It's not a complete list, there is even more in C#, but it's a good start.

I haven't documented my work, the most stuff was just bad, poorly coded or looked terrible and I deleted it after it was done. The must stuff I started couldn't be finished cause the scope was way to big.

I would recommend the following games (in order):
    - Easy 2d games (snake, breakout, tetris, card games
    - Advanced 2d games (plattformer, space shooter)
    - Easy 3d games (Top down shooter, fps using standard unity character controllers)
    - Advanced 3d stuff (post processing, own shaders, own animation / character controllers)

20. sfjohansson

sfjohansson

It's cool to have a goal to try to put together something in week, but yes.. it certainly can't be called a pro as that would take a few years at least. It is possible however to put together stuff not knowing exactly what one is doing in a week by following tutorials.

You could compare that with something more simple...let say photographer/film maker. I don't think anybody would call themselves a photographer or film maker after filming a clip with their cat after 60 seconds...and if you would...my bet is that people would assume you are completely crazy.

On top of that making games are technically very advanced compared to pressing a button and choosing which direction to point your camera...

But still... best of luck, we look forward to see where you are on day 7 :)

iamthwee likes this.
  21. iamthwee

iamthwee

OK, I'm thinking that scripting list will take at least three days to play through all those videos, not great as I have a capped internet usage as well. This definitely sets me back somewhat.

But thanks, and if you do manage to dig out a screenshot of even an uncompleted game would love to see.

22. Dantus

Dantus

You don't learn to code by watching videos. They can be a starting point. It becomes more obvious if you compare it to painting. You will never learn to paint by watching videos.

This is completely irrelevant. You have an unrealistic expectation and you most likely know that. You seem to be looking more for a confrontation.

23. iamthwee

iamthwee

I'm not sure whether it is best but I tend to learn best with youtube videos, I think it is the visual thing of seeing each thing on screen and hearing the thought process behind it. I rarely use text tutorials unless I need to copy and paste a script. As I said it may not be the best way to learn, but that's how I roll.

In regards to being completely irrelevant, you may have a point, a screenshot doesn't necessarily tell the full story, the game could be poorly textured and lit, etc but have excellent gameplay, but I was just trying to gauge what the majority of users classified as 'great' and was surprisingly underwhelmed, admittedly these games were accomplished in days, but yeah. I probably need to get started if I am to do something this week lol.

Nice assets btw ;), same to johansen, nice game.

I most definitely won't be able to achieve this level of expertise in a week ;)

24. mathias234

mathias234

Maybe this thread shouldnt be called noob to pro, but more like: learning unity in a week

Because a professional is someone who works with this as his primary job, probably earn money on it.

25. Prototypetheta

Prototypetheta

Well if you want tutorials to help, I know two very good series for 2D

First, gamesplusjames, very quick, rather basic, but it'll get you through the basics.

Secondly, Sebastian Lague, who covers much more advanced methods and while you can perhaps parrot stuff like this within a few days, you just aren't going to understand it properly if you are a beginner. Took me at least a month to start understanding how the code in this series worked. You won't learn these in a week, when you've done your week, start looking at these to find out how you are actually supposed to do thing.

Gamesplusjames:
    https://m.youtube.com/user/gamesplusjames

Sebastian Lague:
    https://m.youtube.com/user/Cercopithecan

26. NyproTheGeek

NyproTheGeek

Now that you know that you can't become a pro in one week, it is also important to also know that learning Unity or C# from video tutorials alone will only decelerate your gallop towards professionalism, it will in fact result in a lot of avoidable frustrations along the way.
    You need the Unity Manual, C# online reference,etc. a lot of text that cannot be expressed in a video.

Teila likes this.
  27. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

I like how your planning a list out for the things you're gonna do on a day by day basis, but just telling you: take what you think will only take a few hours and add a few more to it. More realistic, things never go as planned. Something always happens, and since this happens, things like "1 week" challenges are difficult to accomplish. Good luck, though. ;)

28. Prototypetheta

Prototypetheta

Just assume Murphy's law is in effect at all times. It's what I do when I'm planning.

RavenOfCode and Whiteleaf like this.
  29. iamthwee

iamthwee

Ok finally, managed to get my head around the basic unity UI, need to carefully name folder structures and what not, but overall, I'm very happy with the unity lighting system. First ever scene. Downloaded, skyboxes of the asset store... Now let's get serious :)

I've got a day to create a 2D game, so either snake or a platform one, I'm thinking a platform as snake is child's play.

noob-to-pro.gif

RavenOfCode likes this.
  30. Yash987654321

Yash987654321

I can't believe you created it all on your own. Did you used third party assets to create that scene? Even after 1.5 years of hard work I cannot create anything (visual) like that :(

31. iamthwee

iamthwee

Yeah but this is simple. It's just a bunch of props with materials I made and I dropped on the shurikan particle thing on it. I've not begun programming to be fair so we shall see. :D

yash.jpg

Haseeb_BSAA and RavenOfCode like this.
  32. NyproTheGeek

NyproTheGeek

Hmmm...
    This is one serious dude.
    I think I must reserve my doubt about you now. That's a nice quick setup for a beginner. But I still DOUBT you'd be able to make a meaningful snake or platform game tomorrow.
    Of course, you can prove me wrong.

33. iamthwee

iamthwee

End of Day 1

Thanks guys, I finished the script tutorial with player input

https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/projects/roll-ball-tutorial

and collectables and point scoring, but to be fair I just copy and pasted the code from the ball roll tutorial. Will have to spend 10mins looking at it properly. Hope to spend half an hour on my character for the platform game, that gives me the full day tomorrow to design the rest of the level code and debug it. Which I think I'll need to stay on target!!

The particle system is probably overkill, but just playing around with the settings don't really know what i'm doing lol

prefab2.gif

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
    Whiteleaf likes this.
  34. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Given you announced you began "right now" on another thread and it was Friday when you were bigging things up, I'd say Day 3 is due tomorrow. Unless of course it didn't really and it only starts officially after you're secretly 4-5 days in.

So when does Day1 actually begin? you're quickly devaluing the point of anyone following you. You made bold claims and now these claims happen "whenever"...

My advice? forget the bullshit and just proceed leisurely without all these grand claims. You'll be happier just doing your thing and people won't need to read yet another trainwreck.

35. iamthwee

iamthwee

Quick mock up for platform game logic to follow, I intend to use a pre-existing jpg for my player as artworking isn't my strongest.

I didn't download unity until this morning lol, so I think that's fair ;) to say we're end of day 1.

Attached Files:

36. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

Let me save yourself a week of your life>> you won´t succeed>> but you'll learns stuff.

37. CaoMengde777

CaoMengde777

theres alot of people that probably came to Unity with little, or No experience with creating stuffs on the computer for games and they will have a totally different viewpoint..

like i been modding and tinkering with games for like 20 years so its easier for me to get into it...
    .. i noticed you on blenderartists, is why i say.. sure you have a better ability cause of that ( i mean compared to peoples assumption of you having no ability LOL)

iamthwee likes this.
  38. iamthwee

iamthwee

Yeah exactly blender is invaluable, hello fellow blenderer! Quick question is it considered bad practice to create a 2d game in 3D mode? Not sure on this one.

39. CaoMengde777

CaoMengde777

not sure havent really cared for 2D

on the bottom of the page it says 2d vs 3d
    http://docs.unity3d.com/530/Documentation/Manual/2Dor3D.html

you can set the camera to be ortho in 3d mode if you want

.. i Think, but not sure, its just a convenience thing, like you can probably set all those settings however you want in either mode, it just makes it quicker instead of having to do it..
    suppose its to attract more people that are interested in 2D games, since previously theyd opt for other engines.. people been making 2D games with Unity before 2D had its own unique settings and 2d physics components etc

40. iamthwee

iamthwee

Yeah I totally get what you mean, I don't even think in 2D anymore, plus you can't mix a 2D game with 3D elements, that's why I was considering ignoring unity's 2D tutorials on gameplay. It's too restrictive.

41. Rombie

Rombie

This is why I think you won't succeed.
    Even after a week you won't be anywhere of a skill level of a pro.

There are so many different aspects of unity and game development that one cannot master within a week.

Start small and plan to devote a lot more time than just a week.

honor0102 and JasonBricco like this.
  42. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

Actually you can. There are a lot of games that do that, back from the PlayStation era up to now.
    Think the gameplay in 2D, (movement as well) and the graphics in 3D.

43. mathias234

mathias234

You can also mix 2d sprites and 3d objects, just gotta do it right

44. LeftyRighty

LeftyRighty

please define "pro"...

45. iamthwee

iamthwee

Guys, day 2 was a total fail lol.

I actually clicked on the link Gamesplusjames: that prototypetheta provided. And watching those videos alone would take at least three days. There's no way I'm going to create a sprite, animate it which seems overwhelming in unity and then make him run around, which is why I thought about creating a flat 3D model instead and using the bones to animate him?!

Luckily the other guy has his source on github, so I can clone the bits I need for movement... But holy S***, it ain't easy.

https://github.com/SebLague/2DPlatformer-Tutorial

I think a more realistic goal is to animate a character, walk cycle, run cycle, jump cycle in unity. Then figure out how to make him move or something.

I scoured the web to try and find some ready made resources for a 2D character. At first I was going to try and recreate prototypetheta's model. But it was too pixelated to use on his video. Instead I found this robot thing.

http://flash-powertools.com/workflow/

So will try to animate him for you guys tomorrow. But even this is going to be a tough ask.

46. Prototypetheta

Prototypetheta

I would strongly advise against recreating my robot, even I can't draw the damn thing correctly.

Mind you, if you're like me and you've worked with models before, you could get away with going 2.5D, I'm assuming you're at least experienced enough to build and rig a model in a decent amount of time.

Making a player controller can be very easy, or very difficult, the simplest way would be to get used to using rigidbody physics (something I hate doing), which is very quick and easy. Alternatively you could read up on using Vector3 and transform.position to implement your own form of velocity. And, trust me, you don't want to clone Seb's code, I tried it when I was a noob, and I couldn't tell arse from tit what was going on in there, it'll be a good few months (at the very least) until you can create a controller like that yourself.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  47. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Honestly 3D animating is MUCH harder than 2D, but it's your choice. It also depends on whether not you're using bones for 3D/2D.

iamthwee likes this.
  48. iamthwee

iamthwee

Yeah you're right, I don't have a clue what's going on in Seb's code, but I want to give this a good shot. So you recommend 2.5D is easier and using the rigid body controller?

Question, do you need to be sending raycasts all over the place to detect other objects and gravity, it seems insanely complicated?

Do you have a simple keyboard move up and down left and right script?

49. iamthwee

iamthwee

True, tough call.

50. passerbycmc

passerbycmc

if you are using rigidbody, it is applying physics for you, and it is detecting collision for you. But yes if building your own controller you would need to figure out gravity and collisions your self

iamthwee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.