Search Unity

Question Noob : How do i get this repeatative look?

Discussion in 'Shader Graph' started by jGate99, Apr 4, 2020.

1. jGate99

jGate99

Hi there,

I want a circle to be multiplied in numbers and scaled and apply less alpha every time to get this look.
    As you can see there is one circle in middle, then second copy of that circle is scaled and have less alpha and and then 3rd copy is further scaled and even less alpha.

End result.PNG

How can i achieve that? Im able to create a basic circle shape with alpha. But dont know what to do next.

Capture.PNG

Please advise

2. Olmi

Olmi

There are a few ways of doing this. One is to sample a linear texture with a few color steps (like you have), but map the result to radial image... Or do it completely procedurally.

jGate99 likes this.
  3. jGate99

jGate99

can you please explain in terms of which nodes should i use to do that as im completely noob
    thanks

4. Olmi

Olmi

Here's quick example of one way. But like I said it's possible to do this quite easy many ways.

X contains the radial distance, y the angle/direction.

radial_image.PNG
    EDIT: replaced with a bit better image...

5. Olmi

Olmi

See my example image. I just fixed it a bit. You could use gradient, you could use a texture. And you could just use Lerp or smoothstep to mix steps but that's unnecessarily complex for this.

But if you want to have some dynamic system where you get more circles with vastly different counts (like 1-100) then the gradient isn't a good idea... Better way would be to procedurally create that stepping based on a number of steps.

jGate99 likes this.
  6. jGate99

jGate99

Thank you for bearing me.
    Yes i ideally want it to be procedurally created so i can have from 3-10 circles.
    i also want these circles alpha's to animate.

As i'm not an expert and need help, so can you please tell me which is the best and easy to do approach for this? For example if using a circle texture makes it easier then i can do that with your guidance.

Thanks

7. Olmi

Olmi

jGate99 likes this.