Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Non-stopping async method after in-editor game is stopped

Discussion in 'Experimental Scripting Previews' started by lluo_lilith, Sep 20, 2018.

1. lluo_lilith

lluo_lilith

Unity3D version: 2018.3.0b1
    1. Create an empty object in a scene
    2. Add the following script to the newly created object
    3. Click the "Run" button inside the editor
    4. Observe the Console output like:
    > TestAsync(): (0, hello)
    5. Click the "Run" button again, so the in-editor game would stop, observe the console output, you would see that the "TestAsync()" output continues
    6. If the script is reloaded (e.g. edit and save), the message output stops.

I'm wondering that the Unity SynchronizationContext should be created per game inside the editor, so when the game is stopped, the game specific SynchronizationContext should be stopped as well, so the async method should effectively not be active anymore?

Code (CSharp):
    1. using System;
    2. using System.Threading.Tasks;
    4. using UnityEngine;
    6. public class Test : MonoBehaviour
    7. {
    8.     // Start is called before the first frame update
    9.     void Start()
    10.     {
    11.         TestAsync();
    12.     }
    14.     // Update is called once per frame
    15.     void Update()
    16.     {
    18.     }
    20.     async void TestAsync()
    21.     {
    22.         int i = 0;
    23.         while (true)
    24.         {
    25.             await Task.Delay(TimeSpan.FromSeconds(1));
    27.             Debug.Log($"TestAsync(): {(i++, "hello")}");
    28.         }
    29.     }
    30. }

2. mkderoy

mkderoy

Unity Technologies

This behavior is expected, and is the same behavior as if you spawned a thread that loops and prints output. The next time you enter playmode (or edit a script), a domain reload occurs, which clears up any tasks that were being queued.

VOTRUBEC likes this.
  3. Dejavu2017

Dejavu2017

How is this expected behavior? Do you mean when the playmode is exited, some of the long running user scripts belonging to the current playmode *session* would still keep running? this would cause a lot of confusion and unexpected behavior. Specifically, it would be reasonable to stop polling the SynchronizationContext of the play mode when it's not active - are there independent SynchronizationContext's for different mode inside the editor? e.g. the editor itself might have it's own Sync Context, while each new playmode session would have its own SyncContext.

4. Prodigga

Prodigga

Bump. @mkderoy , you chimed in here too:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/asy...or-potentially-dangerous.591235/#post-3954637

With a similar response. I was wondering if there was any movement on this? You mentioned you guys were looking into an overarching solution which is great! I am just pinging you and asking for an update to see if there has been any development? Async methods are new and exciting for Unity devs, but we're avoiding them until there is some movement on this 'issue'. :(

5. joncham

joncham

Unity Technologies

There is no movement on this topic. It is unlikely to get any movement in near future.

6. Prodigga

Prodigga

Ok thanks for the transparency!

7. jasonmcguirk

jasonmcguirk

Heya, this started hitting me recently in editor as I've added a few simulated delays to better reflect real world conditions. This lead to orphaned game objects in the scene that were created after the task was resolved and after the application stopped playing.

After trying to poke into the SyncContext and try and flush state, I decided to set the SyncContext.Current to a new instance on ApplicationQuit() in editor.

Code (CSharp):
    2.        void OnApplicationQuit()
    3.        {
    4.            #if UNITY_EDITOR
    5.                var constructor = SynchronizationContext.Current.GetType().GetConstructor(BindingFlags.NonPublic | BindingFlags.Instance, null, new Type[] {typeof(int)}, null);
    6.                var newContext = constructor.Invoke(new object[] {Thread.CurrentThread.ManagedThreadId });
    7.                SynchronizationContext.SetSynchronizationContext(newContext as SynchronizationContext);  
    8.            #endif
    9.        }
    This appears to do the trick for me (no more game objects being tossed into the scene after stop, and the logs indicate the tasks are not being resolved).

Note two things

1.) This leverages the internal constructor on UnitySynchronizationContext - There is no guarantee this won't change in a subsequent update. If this makes you feel queasy, You can toss in an empty SynchronizationContext(), but I think if you are relying on async/await for editor functionality, it might be busted until next domain reload (exercise left to the reader).
    2.) This leaves your orphaned tasks in a somewhat undefined state until the next domain reload. These are presumably blocked on the orphaned context and won't be "cleaned up" until the next domain reload. I haven't noticed any fall out here just yet.

Cheers!

8. BimicoreEnt

BimicoreEnt

It worked for me. Thanks!

9. TheZombieKiller

TheZombieKiller

The "proper" way to solve this is to use CancellationToken, which is .NET's implementation of cooperative cancellation (it's a good idea to make any async/threaded APIs support cancellation anyway).

Given a helper class like the following:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Threading;
    2. using UnityEngine;
    3. #if UNITY_EDITOR
    4. using UnityEditor;
    5. #endif
    7. #if UNITY_EDITOR
    8. [InitializeOnLoad]
    9. #endif
    10. public static class ThreadingUtility
    11. {
    12.     static readonly CancellationTokenSource quitSource;
    14.     public static CancellationToken QuitToken { get; }
    16.     public static SynchronizationContext UnityContext { get; private set; }
    18.     static ThreadingUtility()
    19.     {
    20.         quitSource = new CancellationTokenSource();
    21.         QuitToken  = quitSource.Token;
    22.     }
    24. #if UNITY_EDITOR
    25.     [InitializeOnLoadMethod]
    26. #endif
    27.     [RuntimeInitializeOnLoadMethod(RuntimeInitializeLoadType.BeforeSceneLoad)]
    28.     static void MainThreadInitialize()
    29.     {
    30.         UnityContext          = SynchronizationContext.Current;
    31.         Application.quitting += quitSource.Cancel;
    32.     #if UNITY_EDITOR
    33.         EditorApplication.playModeStateChanged += OnPlayModeStateChanged;
    34.     #endif
    35.     }
    37. #if UNITY_EDITOR
    38.     static void OnPlayModeStateChanged(PlayModeStateChange state)
    39.     {
    40.         if (state == PlayModeStateChange.ExitingPlayMode)
    41.             quitSource.Cancel();
    42.     }
    43. #endif
    44. }
    The example in the OP becomes:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public class Test : MonoBehaviour
    2. {
    3.     async void Start()
    4.     {
    5.         // Start is async to ensure exceptions aren't lost
    6.         await TestAsync(ThreadingUtility.QuitToken);
    7.     }
    9.     async Task TestAsync(CancellationToken token)
    10.     {
    11.         for (int i = 0; ; i++)
    12.         {
    13.             // If you don't want to throw a cancellation exception, you can do
    14.             // the following instead of calling ThrowIfCancellationRequested:
    15.             //
    16.             //  if (token.IsCancellationRequested)
    17.             //      return;
    18.             //
    19.             token.ThrowIfCancellationRequested();
    20.             await Task.Delay(TimeSpan.FromSeconds(1));
    21.             Debug.LogFormat("{0}: ({1}, hello)", nameof(TestAsync), i);
    22.         }
    23.     }
    24. }

10. Develax

Develax

Shouldn't it be implemented as the default behavior? For Unity users, the current default behavior does not make any sense and makes them write crutches.

JoNax97 likes this.
  11. AbelSierra

AbelSierra

I understand the confusion about tasks for people that are just starting to use them.
    But this is the expected behaviour for parallel programming, you need to take care of your different processes and stop/cancel them when you need. Imagine, for instance, that you want a process to run after you exit for storing/saving some data, if this thread is stopped the data will be corrupt. Or for instance you have a timer that should work no matter what, even if the app is paused, if the timer is paused too when you unpause the app won't be in the state you wanted it to stay.

Tasks are threads, which are concurrent/parallel processes and these are an advanced feature and you need to know how to use them wisely and carefully. I wouldn't use it if I am just starting with unity or do not have any experience in parallelization.

The current default behaviour is what it is because it cannot be different. Unity cannot decide by itself when you want that process to stop or pause.

For stopping tasks when stopping the editor or closing the app you just use CancellationToken and check inside a long run loop

Code (CSharp):
    3. void OnEnable()
    4. {
    5.             cancelationToken = new CancellationTokenSource();
    6. }
    8. void OnApplicationQuit()
    9. {
    10.             cancelationToken.Cancel();
    11. }
    13. public async Task LongProcess()
    14. {
    16.       while (true)
    17.        {
    18.                Debug.Log("Long task running");
    20.                 await Task.Delay(20);
    22.                     if (cancelationToken.IsCancellationRequested)//cancelation token to break the task when app exists or editor stops
    23.                         return;
    25. #if UNITY_EDITOR
    26.                     await new WaitUntil(() => !EditorApplication.isPaused);//Wait while editor is paused
    27. #endif
    29.        }
    30. }
    The WaitUntil functionality is not a default behaviour but an extension for Tasks. You can find different approximations for getting this functionality like in here. here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/29089417/c-sharp-wait-until-condition-is-true

Bodin likes this.
  12. Develax

Develax

Tasks are (still) not threads and async is not parallel especially in Unity (if you don't make them threads explicitly).

In most cases, they are used as a coroutines replacement. This simply means they just "tick" every Update. And when the game stops all Updates should be stopped. Only in rear cases Task is required to survive from Play mode to Editor mode.

For routine cases developers just want to use them as "improved coroutines" without having to write this kind of boilerplate every time. Isn't it logical to have a simple syntax for most cases and to write a boilerplate only for special ones?

blisz, koirat and VolodymyrBS like this.
  13. p3k07

p3k07

I had an idea for using a public static cancelation token, but man, you knocked it out the park with ThreadingUtility.
    The final solution for people still looking, imo, is suck it up and add the token to your method. Either way, you're going to need more lines of code to exit the method correctly without issue. TheZombieKillers scripts takes < 30seconds to implement and put in your loops.

Cheers man!

14. huulong

huulong

Coming from https://github.com/jeffreylanters/unity-tweens where stopping the game inside async method before adding another tween will add an unwanted Tween (Driver) component on your game object in the scene, in Edit mode! It makes the scene more and more dirty as you playtest, I had dozens of those components on my game objects!

I'll see with the developer if they can add a quick if (Application.isPlaying) test before adding stuff, surrounded by UNITY_EDITOR I guess.

But in the meantime, your two solutions will help me a lot!

A. jasonmcguirk's SynchronizationContext switch works out of the box.
    B. @TheZombieKiller it worked the first time, but subsequent plays would not renew the token (due to static lifetime). I had to renew it on Enter Play Mode, with this code:

Code (CSharp):
    1. // https://forum.unity.com/threads/non-stopping-async-method-after-in-editor-game-is-stopped.558283/
    2. // original code by TheZombieKiller
    4. using System.Threading;
    5. using UnityEngine;
    6. #if UNITY_EDITOR
    7. using UnityEditor;
    8. #endif
    10. #if UNITY_EDITOR
    11. [InitializeOnLoad]
    12. #endif
    13. public static class ThreadingUtility
    14. {
    15.     // huulong: REMOVED readonly
    16.     static /*readonly*/ CancellationTokenSource quitSource;
    17.     // huulong: ADDED private set
    18.     public static CancellationToken QuitToken { get; private set; }
    19.     public static SynchronizationContext UnityContext { get; private set; }
    20.     static ThreadingUtility()
    21.     {
    22.         quitSource = new CancellationTokenSource();
    23.         QuitToken  = quitSource.Token;
    24.     }
    25. #if UNITY_EDITOR
    26.     [InitializeOnLoadMethod]
    27. #endif
    28.     [RuntimeInitializeOnLoadMethod(RuntimeInitializeLoadType.BeforeSceneLoad)]
    29.     static void MainThreadInitialize()
    30.     {
    31.         UnityContext          = SynchronizationContext.Current;
    32.         Application.quitting += quitSource.Cancel;
    33.     #if UNITY_EDITOR
    34.         EditorApplication.playModeStateChanged += OnPlayModeStateChanged;
    35.     #endif
    36.     }
    37. #if UNITY_EDITOR
    38.     static void OnPlayModeStateChanged(PlayModeStateChange state)
    39.     {
    40.         if (state == PlayModeStateChange.ExitingPlayMode)
    41.         {
    42.             quitSource.Cancel();
    43.         }
    44.         // ADDED by huulong
    45.         else if (state == PlayModeStateChange.EnteredPlayMode)
    46.         {
    47.             // renew quit source and token, otherwise
    48.             // after restart game, it will still be considered cancelled
    49.             // and all ThrowIfCancellationRequested will throw
    50.             // quitSource.Dispose();
    51.             quitSource = new CancellationTokenSource();
    52.             QuitToken  = quitSource.Token;
    53.         }
    54.     }
    55. #endif
    56. }

15. RunninglVlan

RunninglVlan

Hey, I'm not that experienced with async yet, but how is this different from using a flag?
    Code (CSharp):
    1. bool stopAsync;
    2. void OnEnable() { stopAsync = false; }
    3. void OnApplicationQuit() { stopAsync = true; }
    4. // ...
    5. if (stopAsync) { return; } // in async code

16. xucian

xucian

Is this still not implemented by default? I just thought there's something wrong in my code and then came across this thread. This is a fundamental functionality to have in a system... when you exit a session, no pending jobs should continue

17. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

Unlike Coroutines which are an Unity wrapper around another language feature, Async is purely a language feature. Part of that language feature is the cancellation token. Unity cannot magically inject it into your code though.
    A domain reload when stopping is the only way how the engine could enforce that all tasks are stopped and that would be a significant performance degradation of the editor unfortunately.

It's as usual: Convenience either comes with risks or performance drawbacks.

Edit: Wonder whether this library covers that issue: https://github.com/Cysharp/UniTask

Last edited: Sep 2, 2022
  18. bdovaz

bdovaz

In 2022.2.x they have added:

https://docs.unity3d.com/2022.2/Doc...e/MonoBehaviour-destroyCancellationToken.html

This is the point where the async code must be cancelled.

xucian, Twibby, Huszky and 2 others like this.
  19. xucian

xucian

That's a step in the right direction. Also, UniTask already provides something like that, but it's not ideal, as it has to add a component to the game object at runtime.
    As a workaround or just an additional safety measure, I recommend just manually reloading the domain when you detect exiting play mode.
    This is what I ended up doing and it works pretty well, with the small price of a modal is shown for a few seconds after exiting play mode:
    Code (CSharp):
    2.         [RuntimeInitializeOnLoadMethod(RuntimeInitializeLoadType.BeforeSceneLoad)]
    3.         static void OnBeforeFirstSceneLoad_Static()
    4.         {
    5.             UnityEditor.EditorApplication.playModeStateChanged += state =>
    6.             {
    7.                 if (state == UnityEditor.PlayModeStateChange.ExitingPlayMode)
    8.                 {
    9.                     Debug.Log("[AppInit] Reloading scripts to prevent dangling Tasks from continuing executing in edit mode");
    10.                     UnityEditor.EditorUtility.RequestScriptReload();
    11.                     // Not sure if needed
    12.                     UnityEditor.EditorApplication.isPaused = paused;
    13.                 }
    14.             };
    15.         }

sandolkakos, justtime and Prodigga like this.
  20. sandolkakos

sandolkakos

I was also having problems with my Tasks continuing to run after exiting the PlayMode. They were still playing some audio clips, creating new objects in the scene, changing the scene states, etc... And to be worse, without marking the scene as changed.

In case anyone is still needing a solution for that kind of problem, here is the class I wrote based on @jasonmcguirk and @thefallengamesstudio ideas. Just add this class to any of your Editor folders and done!

Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Reflection;
    2. using System.Threading;
    3. using UnityEditor;
    4. using UnityEngine;
    6. public static class SynchronizationContextUtils
    7. {
    8.     [RuntimeInitializeOnLoadMethod(RuntimeInitializeLoadType.BeforeSceneLoad)]
    9.     private static void OnBeforeSceneLoad()
    10.     {
    11.         EditorApplication.playModeStateChanged += state =>
    12.         {
    13.             if (state == PlayModeStateChange.ExitingPlayMode)
    14.             {
    15.                 OnPlayModeExit();
    16.             }
    17.         };
    18.     }
    20.     private static void OnPlayModeExit()
    21.     {
    22.         KillCurrentSynchronizationContext();
    23.     }
    25.     /// <summary>
    26.     /// Kills the current synchronization context after exiting play mode to avoid Tasks continuing to run.
    27.     /// </summary>
    28.     private static void KillCurrentSynchronizationContext()
    29.     {
    30.         var synchronizationContext = SynchronizationContext.Current;
    32.         var constructor = synchronizationContext
    33.             .GetType()
    34.             .GetConstructor(BindingFlags.NonPublic | BindingFlags.Instance, null, new[] { typeof(int) }, null);
    36.         if (constructor == null)
    37.         {
    38.             return;
    39.         }
    41.         object newContext = constructor.Invoke(new object[] { Thread.CurrentThread.ManagedThreadId });
    42.         SynchronizationContext.SetSynchronizationContext(newContext as SynchronizationContext);
    43.     }
    44. }

ariansyah and xucian like this.
  21. xucian

xucian

Hey. I like this. If someone from Unity can confirm this is superior to the coarser approach I posted below, that'd be awesome

sandolkakos likes this.