Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Non-realistic weapons in an FPS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by whoft, Oct 23, 2023.

1. whoft

whoft

I've been looking for good design practices for unrealistic weapons in a cartoon/minimalistic (multiplayer) FPS I'm making, but I can't seem to find anything that isn't "realistic, modern weapons". Are there any good ideas/workarounds for making a coherent "thing" that shoots lasers in three different modes (normal, fast, and three-at-once) without using a typical "gun"?

2. stain2319

stain2319

How about an umbrella?

3. Murgilod

Murgilod

A jack in the box that fires increasingly powerful grenades the longer you crank it without letting go.

Ruslank100 likes this.
  4. spiney199

spiney199

Looking to different cultures could give you good inspiration. Been playing a game called Gunfire Reborn - a little character based, looter-shooter rogue-lite - and a lot of the weapons are quite creative and based in Chinese culture. The flamethrower is a dragon that wraps around your hand. Not to mention a scorpion themed crossbow, an eldritch abomination shotgun with eyes looking at you, and a variety of iron-man style gloves.

Ideally you pick an interesting overarching theme and come up with as many ideas based in it, or in its periphery.

Ryiah likes this.
  5. neginfinity

neginfinity

It is a videogame. ANYTHING can shoot lasers. Honestly the first thing that comes to mind is cymbal monkey toy.

Ryiah likes this.
  6. kdgalla

kdgalla

Why would you? You need realistic weapons to be like real weapons so you need a reference. For non-realistic weapons you just need to make stuff up.

Bunny83 and Ryiah like this.
  7. Amon

Amon

John Riccitiello holding a trust me card that monetizes the enemy giving you more credits for ammo.

Ryiah and BrandyStarbrite like this.
  8. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

Check out Splatoon, and Foamstars when it officially releases. But moreso check out Splatoon, for lots of non realistic weapons ideas.:)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2024