Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.

Non-nullable values in NetworkVariable<>

Discussion in 'Netcode for GameObjects' started by ppudlik, Dec 14, 2021.

1. ppudlik

ppudlik

Hey guys, I'm having difficulties using my own struct in NetworkVariable<>. I've done everything as shown in INetworkSerializable documentation.

Code (CSharp):
    1. public struct PData : INetworkSerializable
    2. {
    3.     int PlayerID;
    4.     string PlayerName;
    6.     public void NetworkSerialize<T>(BufferSerializer<T> serializer) where T : IReaderWriter
    7.     {
    8.         serializer.SerializeValue(ref PlayerID);
    9.         serializer.SerializeValue(ref PlayerName);
    10.     }
    11. }
    13. public class PlayerData : NetworkBehaviour
    14. {
    16.     public NetworkVariable<PData> Data = new NetworkVariable<PData>();
    Any ideas why VisualStudio returns:

"Error CS8377 The type 'PData' must be a non-nullable value type, along with all fields at any level of nesting, in order to use it as parameter 'T' in the generic type or method 'NetworkVariable<T>' Assembly-CSharp C:\UnityProj\hexmap\Assets\Scripts\PlayerData.cs 23 Active"

I noticed it works fine, if I remove any string variables from the struct and I delete serializer stuff. It's as if the serializer wasn't serializing anything?

2. LightStriker

LightStriker

It says everything in the struct must be non-nullable value type. A string is nullable.

3. ppudlik

ppudlik

Thank you for your reply. I see! I thought the serializing itself was going to make them non-nullable.

I just learned through youtube that Unity.Collections contains fixed size Strings, which can be used for this purpose:)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
    UnityGio likes this.
  4. GahhhhIhave

GahhhhIhave

Wait so I want to use a string as a name and im getting a similar error, how exactly do i make a string "Non-nullable"?

5. itisMarcii_

itisMarcii_

Use "INetworkSerializeByMemcpy" instead of "INetworkSerializable", they canged it in 1.0.0-pre.8

unityunity