Search Unity

Non-Linear Crossfades with Animator?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by AcidArrow, Jul 20, 2021.

1. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Is there a way?

It seems the answer is no, but I hope I'm wrong.

Why not?

It seems like an easy implementation and it would make the horrible Animator crossfades look so much better. It would also be a reason to use Animator.

2. Kybernetik

Kybernetik

My Animancer plugin has a built in Custom Fade system to let you do it easily.

Otherwise, this thread explains how you can do it if you put all your animations in a Direct Blend Tree, though I expect that would make it really inconvenient to use and would waste quite a bit of performance.

3. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

We’ll have to seriously consider switching to Animancer for our newer stuff (that you sell on itch is a plus, since we avoid the Asset Store if we can help it), but currently we’re in a situation where we have a bunch of animator controllers and scripting and transitioning it all to Animancer is unfortunately more effort than we can afford.

It just boggles my mind why the animator doesn’t have a bunch of different interpolation methods for transitions by default. It would take such little effort and would add a lot to the Animator.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

In this episode of “I wonder if Unreal has that feature” the answer is you bet it does. 48E65A76-B4AA-41E9-A4D4-37DE0807A960.jpeg 27914D0A-08F0-4177-BBD1-67C4B58AB0C2.jpeg

april_4_short likes this.
  5. Kybernetik

Kybernetik

AcidArrow likes this.