Search Unity

Non-Deterministic ordering of Nested Prefabs with Variants

Discussion in 'Prefabs' started by austin-beck, Feb 13, 2020.

1. austin-beck

austin-beck

Hey guys,

I'm an engineer on a fairly large project that's currently on 2019.2.2 - I'm investigating some odd prefab serialization behavior and I wanted to ask here if it's a known issue before I spend more time investigating.

Essentially what we're seeing is that some of our prefabs which involve both nested prefabs and prefab variants (not sure if both or just one of those are related yet) are being serialized non-deterministically, resulting in constant random changes which is making version control tracking essentially useless.

The few seemingly-related Google results I was able to find indicated this shouldn't happen unless you're switching versions, which we are not - just calling AssetDatabase.ForceReserializeAssets on them, which results in seemingly infinite changes.

Has anyone heard of anything like this? I'd like to help get this fixed if at all possible. I'm currently working on a new AssetBundle building system since Addressables are too slow for our large project and if the hashes of these files are also non-deterministic (which I assume they are, haven't actually checked yet) then I'm going to have a bad time.

Thanks for any info you guys can provide.

2. runevision

runevision

3. austin-beck

austin-beck