Search Unity

Non-commercial usage of the Asset Store

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Oghmium, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Oghmium

Oghmium

Hi everyone! Can I publish my projects with models from the Asset Store to Google Play (without ads or in-app purchases)? I've heard that your game can be deleted if you use models (even if they are paid) which have been used by another developer before. Is it true for games without monetization?

2. LaneFox

LaneFox

When you buy/download something from the asset store you are buying a commercial license to use that thing in games. Read the Asset Store EULA for clarity.

3. Mauri

Mauri

If by "projects" you mean games, then yes.

Never heard of that. It's generally considered not a good practice to use models that you can buy in stores because everyone can buy and use them in their games. App Stores won't care, but people playing your game may care. I wouldn't worry too much, though.

4. Oghmium

Oghmium

Hmm... Lets say we have an asset (something visual like a 2D character, 3D model, etc). And as far as I know the first developer who published a game with this asset has the rights to use it. So if someone else publishes a game with the same asset, the first developer can report it and it is banned because Google or Apple don't care about the origin of that asset.

That theory I heard from my previous team lead when I asked him why don't we use some free arts from the Asset Store. Maybe I am wrong, but I want to clarify this for myself.

5. Mauri

Mauri

Everything in the Asset Store can be bought/downloaded by anyone and used by anyone - non-commercial or commercial (unless stated otherwise). There is no "whoever comes first has the exclusive rights to use it".

No idea how the Google App Store handles reports etc, but see this page:
    My app has been removed from Google Play - Play Console Help

6. Jaimi

Jaimi

Your game can be deleted if you use stolen assets. That just makes sense. What also makes sense is that you can use the assets you purchase from the asset store. There is a EULA if you want to read it.

https://unity3d.com/legal/as_terms