Search Unity

Noise map for deserts

Discussion in 'World Building' started by BlackDisc_Marten, Aug 18, 2021.

1. BlackDisc_Marten

BlackDisc_Marten

Hello fellow developpers

To begin, I am quite new to game development. For a while now, I have been trying to create a procedural desert map for my game. I found some tools that can generate noise maps for deserts but they are quite expensive. Thus i'm trying to make my own noise generator. I fail to find information about noise map generation or more specificly, the transformations used on the noise maps to create the desert-like noise map. I have included an image of a height map that I found which can be used to create a desert. I was wondering if, given the right transformations, it could be possible to create a noise map that looks like that. Where would I have to look to find information about these noise maps? Also, is there a better way to do it ?

Thanks in advance

2. mgear

mgear

some of those seem to be substance materials, so they could be used inside unity (to generate random variations),
    without actually buying the full substance editor.

googling for sand ripple algorithm brings some research papers, but could be complicated.

shadertoy has some, those could be easy to convert into unity shader or into c#
    https://www.shadertoy.com/view/ld3BzM

there's blender material tutorials, seems to use voronoi+noise, could adapt into unity.