Search Unity

Feedback Node Library Road map

Discussion in 'Shader Graph' started by RoughSpaghetti3211, May 29, 2019.

1. RoughSpaghetti3211

RoughSpaghetti3211

Maybe this already exists but it would be really awesome to have a road map for future nodes and a place where the community can request nodes. Currently the node library is a bit limited so seeing what is coming will be inspirational.

ph_ likes this.
  2. ph_

ph_

Hi there, do you have a list of nodes that you'd like to have in ShaderGraph ?

3. RoughSpaghetti3211

RoughSpaghetti3211

I can compile a list if it helps the Unity dev team. For a particular project I was working on the team was using unreal so I got some exposure to Unreal shader editor and on my other projects I use Amplify shader editor inside Unity. Both have countless really powerful nodes.

4. alexandral_unity

alexandral_unity

Unity Technologies

Unfortunately we aren't able to say when we can add or release new nodes, but we do keep a list of nodes we want to add when we can. If you give a list of requests we can look at it and add them to our backlog, we just can't give any estimate on when/if they would land.

5. RoughSpaghetti3211

RoughSpaghetti3211

I will get a list and post it here. I also know the community is very active in creating nodes but its thing worth mentioning that for large companies there are huge legal barriers using anything on asset store if not impossible. Given the time constraints if the shadergraph does not compete with the node of its competitors like Unreal it will never go into production. My personal preference is Unity so Im really hoping for more nodes shipping with the package.

6. RoughSpaghetti3211

RoughSpaghetti3211

So many great nodes is overwhelming so I stared for a few. Be great if there was an official place to request nodes.
    ( some are the same and might already be in shadergraph).

I included the doc page, its worth a read to see what available. I also have to highly recommend amplify.

http://wiki.amplify.pt/index.php?title=Unity_Products:Amplify_Shader_Editor/Node
    Summed Blend
    Layered Blend
    Weighted Blend
    Screen Position Node
    Screen Depth
    Compute Screen Pos
    Compute Grab Screen Pos

https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/Engine/Rendering/Materials/ExpressionReference/index.html

LandscapeLayerBlend
    LandscapeLayerSwitch
    LandscapeLayerWeight
    LandscapeVisibilityMask
    SceneDepth
    PixelDepth
    DepthFade
    DepthOfFieldFunction
    DistanceFieldGradient
    DistanceToNearestSurface
    QualitySwitch

7. bgolus

bgolus

The existing Screen Position node handles all of these.
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.shadergraph@6.7/manual/Screen-Position-Node.html

The RG values are the normalized (0.0 to 1.0) xy screen position. The B is the non-linear screen depth, and the A is the linear depth. Though it would be nice if the documentation actually mentioned that. It would be less confusing if the outputs were labeled, or those last two had unique nodes.

There’s no separate grab pass UV needed since there’s no longer a grab pass, and the scene color node takes the screen position.

Shader Graph has a Scene Depth node, and it’s identical to Unreal’s.
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.shadergraph@6.7/manual/Scene-Depth-Node.html
    Pixel depth is the same as the A output of Screen Position node.

This requires some unique features of the Unreal engine that Unity does not have, even in the latest HD SRP.

Most of the others can already be done with the existing nodes (like the various blends), or require feature Shader Graph doesn’t have yet (terrain support, keyword switch support) but hopefully is coming.

Depth of Field could be implemented with a script passing in data from the post processing, but would be really nice to have added officially.

alexandral_unity likes this.
  8. RoughSpaghetti3211

RoughSpaghetti3211

9. RoughSpaghetti3211

RoughSpaghetti3211

Got back into shader graph in past few days and man I have to say it’s really cool to see how far it has come since I first used in in preview.

I just wanted to make a request for a tessellation node or template.

Thank you