Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Question Node is not compatible with SRP batcher?

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by jayatubi, May 9, 2020.

1. jayatubi

jayatubi

I have a shader which is SRP batcher compatible and it batches fine in the Editor. After I built it to Android the frame debugger told the drawcall is not batched with an error `node is not compatible with SRP batcher`. What does the error mean?

The graphic API for Android is set to OpenGLES3.

2. aleksandrk

aleksandrk

Unity Technologies

Hi!
    Which devices did you try?

3. jayatubi

jayatubi

I tried the Windows Editor and the Android device with OpenGLES 3. A few hours later I found the reason. I have some useless global float uniforms in my shader and after removing them the batcher on Android became fine. But no matter I remove them or not the batcher on Windows Editor always works.

zhuhaiyia1 likes this.
  4. aleksandrk

aleksandrk

Unity Technologies

Ah, this explains it :)
    SRP batcher requires everything to be in CBUFFERs. On DX11 all global variables end up in a global CBUFFER anyway, but that's not the case with OpenGL or OpenGL ES.

zhuhaiyia1 likes this.
  5. jayatubi

jayatubi

Does that mean I need to explict put all my globals into another CBUFFER?

6. aleksandrk

aleksandrk

Unity Technologies

Only if you need to run on OpenGL ES.

7. a-chambriat

a-chambriat

Hello, do we need to explicit put all globals into a CBUFFER for batching on Vulkan (android) ?
    And iOS/Metal ?

8. aleksandrk

aleksandrk

Unity Technologies

Vulkan and Metal should work the same as DX in this regard.

9. a-chambriat

a-chambriat

great, thanks!

10. viliusnbg

viliusnbg

Hey @aleksandrk - long time no see! Does this mean that even the builtin default shaders will not get SRP batched on OpenGL ES? I've tried adding a bunch of cubes with the URP lit material and running the scene on an Oculus Quest 2 and I get the same message - "SRP: Node is not compatible with SRP batcher".

If this sounds like a bug, I could make a simple repro project.
    If it's intentional - what are the steps to get the builtin shaders to work with the SRP batcher on OpenGL ES?

Moreover, I want to write some shaders that are based on the builtin shaders and reuse as much of the unity HLSL code possible. It seems that if I include the core library, it defines the CBUFFER_START macros, but it also defines the global variables - so if I try and put them in a buffer inside my shader, I get an error that I'm redefining the existing variables.

Hopefully I'm just missing something here. I'm on Unity 2020.3.3f1, URP 10.4.0

11. aleksandrk

aleksandrk

Unity Technologies

12. viliusnbg

viliusnbg