Search Unity

Node Canvas | Visual Node Graph Editor (BT, FSM...)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by nuverian, Apr 26, 2013.

1. nuverian

nuverian

2. MitchStan

MitchStan

Looks great. I've been using Angry Ants Behave the past year. I would love to give your system a look see. Is it a compete framework or are you still in development?

3. nuverian

nuverian

Thanks,

I am polishing some editor features right now and most importantely making an example scene to demonstrate some features, which I will very shortly post here along with a list of features.

4. MitchStan

MitchStan

Looking forward to it. Keep up the good work. Looks fabulous so far.

5. PolyMad

PolyMad

Is this similar to PlayMaker?

6. nuverian

nuverian

Hi,

NodeCanvas will first be released with a Behaviour Tree implementation included, whereas PlayMaker is an FSM.
    Later in the roadmap though, NodeCanvas will also include an FSM implementation which will be possible to mix with Behaviour Trees, since both systems will work on the same framework (NodeCanvas). But the main point is the Behaviour Tree.
    Regarding the FSM implementation, and even the Behaviour Tree one, the goal of the project is to be easy to use and expand, flexible and as much Designer friendly as possible, while not limited for more advanced developers. That's the ultimate goal for the project.

So, regarding the comparison, if we take the FSM that will be included in NodeCanvas, it is a bit of similar to PlayMaker but still different. If we take the Behaviour Tree though (which will be included first), its totally different than PlayMaker. BT and FSM are totaly different, allthough both are used for AI and logic.
    Last but not least, all SOURCE CODE will be included which is written in JS.

@MitchStan: Thanks a lot :)

7. MitchStan

MitchStan

wow, this is sounding very cool. Source code included, in JavaScript? I'm really excited. Please do keep up the good work. Will check with your blog for progress.

8. dormouse

dormouse

WOW
    when it will be available ?

Thanks a lot nuverian !!!

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  9. Spyderworxs

Spyderworxs

How is the project going? It looks great; am very interested!

10. nuverian

nuverian

I was away from home PC for 2 weeks due to my job requirement.
    NodeCanvas is shaping pretty well, moslty some minot bug fixes here and there. Decorators made their way to the behaviour tree as well, including some prety neat ones.
    I want to add more features to NodeCanvas but that always keeps the release back. Perfectionism is a vice I tell you :)
    I guess I have to stop doing that at some point :) and add features after release based on what people want most. I will keep you posted people.

Thank you for your interest

11. josh-v-hall

josh-v-hall

Looks great. Will there be a beta?

12. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

nuverian any news on this?

Are you still working on it?

Do you think it will be released soon? 3months 6 months a year?

13. nuverian

nuverian

Yeah, I am definetely working on this again and I am saying again because of the pause and delay due to summer. Here in Greece it gets so hot that I can't even stand so much to think as well :)

I would estimate a month. I also hope to post another video in the current weekend showcasing the workflow a bit which is totaly invisible in the promo video :)

Thanks

14. nuverian

nuverian

An editor feature I though interesting to post as of how easy is to convert a bunch of nodes into subTrees so that one can play around soon and organize later if that's the case.

Attached Files:

15. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

Hi,

Looking forward to it. Keep up the good work.

Dev

16. Stickworm

Stickworm

Hi is it possible to give a release date for this yet? I'm about to start work on a new project and would like to to experiment with this as a possible way to go before committing to another system?

Cheers

17. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

I think when the weather cools in Greece :p

18. andrydeen

andrydeen

If I understand correctly, your Asset will provide an opportunity to build the logic of any difficulty without using a programming in С# or java , only BT+FSM.

19. tomi-trescak

tomi-trescak

Hello, I am also very interested in your editor, mostly about its graphic capabilities which we would like to use for our free AI engine.

20. nuverian

nuverian

The summer went away, then came the rain and the snow. It was so cold that NodeCanvas almost got frozen.
    Almost, because I am happy to say that finally it is submitted to the Asset Store!

$ncLogo.jpg

With NodeCanvas you will be able to differentiate the roles of Designer and Programmer. But you or your programmer will still have to write the Actions and Conditions for example, since NodeCanvas does not come with dozens premade actions like playmaker does for example. It's different :)
    Thankfully writing your own tasks (in either language) for NodeCanvas is very easy

21. Chuckalicious

Chuckalicious

Hey Nuverian,

I just picked this up on the asset store the other day and have to say you did a splendid job. Congrats on the Unity Asset store release!

I've been going over anything I can find to learn more on how to use each of the features. So I have a question...but I may be missing something obvious.

I set up a very basic BT with a start node >> Parallel node that runs a Action (Random Patrol) list of game objects that act as waypoints and another Action to set mecanim walking.

Everything works after creating the nav mesh and nav mesh agent. I noticed my guy would walk to the first waypoint and then just circle it. He never continued to the next point.

I look at the code and find that in the MoveToList.cs navAgent.pathPending is always true. navAgent.pathStatus is also always complete. As a result the Action never ends allowing the random index to be reset; thus, allowing the character to move to another waypoint.

I had to remove this
    //!navAgent.pathPending

...and add this
    if (navAgent.remainingDistance != 0 navAgent.remainingDistance <= navAgent.stoppingDistance)
    {
    EndAction(true);
    }

Now it works fine. I also looked at the Demo scene where the army guys chase the ball. If the ball is hidden, they move to a way point and then just sit there. So I'm pretty sure I'm not crazy....though this is still up for debate in many circles ;-)

22. DanielSnd

DanielSnd

I'm getting some problems... It was working fine then out of nowhere it started spitting a million bazillion errors:

This is what the errors say:

Now I can't even close the node canvas window D:

- Edited -

I still don't know what caused the problem, but by removing the blackboard and creating a new one it disappeared.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  23. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Does it work well in Unity 5? Just wondering how well supported it is since last response was a year ago.

24. hopeful

hopeful

25. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

S***... thanks :)