Search Unity

Noble Connect - Relays and Punchthrough

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by thegreatzebadiah, Mar 15, 2019.

1. vyral13

vyral13

Thanks for the fast reply!
    More than happy to help out. Tested a new blank example scene on unet. Connects via wifi, doesn't connect via 4g but doesn't freeze compared to running my game. Again all works on other device One Plus. Could be a setting in my phone. But Photon still connects regardless.

Reason I switched was due to time limitations. My original plan was to use Ignorance/Mirror/Noble Connect. However switching from Unet - Mirror, my cars became more jittery, and things like wheel rotation just stopped working. All worked fine in unet, so decided to just stick with UNET and use Noble Connect. But again as Unets been completely abandoned, plus I still get random errors now and again. So you can see my dilemma. Plus now I'm using pun, I have to do everything locally rather than server controlled I believe, not only that very restricted on player count!
    I'll join the discord once I'm home.
    Thanks again!

2. chrisk

chrisk

Hi, I'm interested in NAT solution for faster net play but then I'm concerned about the hacking.
    You said if the game is successful, it will cover the cost but then if it's successful, I'm afraid we can't take the risk of being hacked. P2P cannot fight the hackers and any serious developer will not solely rely on P2P.
    I think you will need to realign the strategy and provide some options.

Ideally, this what I would like to see.

Self-hosted server and make whether to use NAT optional.
    Normally, we'll let NAT punch-through as much as possible, but for suspicious users, we will turn NAT off for security checks.

What do you think?

3. toddkc

toddkc

I can't get this working with mirror. Following the included instructions I imported noble connect, then mirror, then ignorance, then the mirror noble connect package. I then get the following error:
    Assets\Noble Connect\Mirror\Internal\NobleNetworkManager.cs(285,30): error CS0506: 'NobleNetworkManager.StartHost()': cannot override inherited member 'NetworkManager.StartHost()

Was hoping it would be an easy fix, but changing the modifiers just causes more and more errors. I tried both the 2018.4 lts and the newest 2019.3 versions, same issues.

-edit: apparently due to a mirror update

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  4. Zebadiah

Zebadiah

@toddkc I believe I already replied to you on discord but a new version is coming that works with the latest version of Mirror. Sorry for the issues, it's hard to keep up with Mirror sometimes, they release so often.

@chrisk What you're talking about is outside of the scope of Noble Connect but you could certainly implement something like what you're talking about using Noble Connect. You're basically describing a hybrid dedicated host / peer-hosted solution though and I don't think I've ever heard of anyone actually doing that. Usually it's one way or the other, if you are super serious about cheating you don't let players host and you use dedicated servers, which would not need Noble Connect. If you're not as worried about cheating then you go with peer-hosted with Noble Connect. I would be interested to hear if you do get a hybrid solution working though. It certainly doesn't seem impossible, but I've never heard of it.

toddkc likes this.
  5. RukiMx

RukiMx

Hi! I recently bought MatchUp and I m not capable to making work outside a test environment. I use mirror and recently I'm trying to integrate Noble connect to avoid permission issues and such. Can you help me to integrate due to as I can see you are already working on the last version on Mirror.

6. Trev3333

Trev3333

hi hope someone can help me. hope im not missing something silly. ive been trying install with mirror like toddke. ive tried both LiteNetLib and Ignorance. after i install mirror noble connect package i get 6 errors in the scripts located in Assets\Noble Connect\Mirror\Internal

Assets\Noble Connect\Mirror\Internal\NobleNetworkLobbyManager.cs(24,20): error CS1061: 'NetworkWriter' does not contain a definition for 'Write' and no accessible extension method 'Write' accepting a first argument of type 'NetworkWriter' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Assets\Noble Connect\Mirror\Internal\NobleNetworkLobbyManager.cs(25,20): error CS1061: 'NetworkWriter' does not contain a definition for 'Write' and no accessible extension method 'Write' accepting a first argument of type 'NetworkWriter' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Assets\Noble Connect\Mirror\Internal\NobleServer.cs(582,27): error CS0117: 'NetworkServer' does not contain a definition for 'SendToClient'

Assets\Noble Connect\Mirror\Internal\NobleServer.cs(605,111): error CS0117: 'NetworkServer' does not contain a definition for 'SpawnWithClientAuthority'

Assets\Noble Connect\Mirror\Internal\NobleServer.cs(606,116): error CS0117: 'NetworkServer' does not contain a definition for 'SpawnWithClientAuthority'

Assets\Noble Connect\Mirror\Internal\NobleServer.cs(607,130): error CS0117: 'NetworkServer' does not contain a definition for 'SpawnWithClientAuthority'

am i doing something wrong?
    hope someone can help
    thanks in advance Trev

7. Zebadiah

Zebadiah

What issues are you running in to? Match Up and Noble Connect both come with examples that should work with the latest version of Mirror on the asset store.

8. Zebadiah

Zebadiah

Is this with the latest version of Mirror from the asset store or github? We only support the latest from the asset store.

9. Trev3333

Trev3333

latest mirror from asset store and ignorance 1.3.6 from github releases.

the errors are exactly the same when i used latest mirror from asset store and LiteNetLib4Mirror 1.2.8 from github releases

alos i found LiteNetLib4Mirror 1.2.10 on here https://github.com/MichalPetryka/LiteNetLib4Mirror/issues/21 that says it should work with latest Mirror on asset store 11.4.2 and get same errors

btw this is all on unity 2019.3.8f1

hope this helps if u need any more info just ask :)

thanks for getting back so quick trev

quick up date i went on the discord chat and there was a Nobel Connect package for 2019.3 for download and that fixed the errors i was getting :)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  10. JoeTheGG

JoeTheGG

This might not be the right place to put my question, but here goes.

I started using MatchUp awhile back, everything works really well when testing. I created my own Linux virtual machine and am able to run the "MacthUpServer_Linux".

From the docs:
    Also make sure to update the matchmakerURL on your MatchUp component to point to your server.

Where do I find the URL? Do I need to link it to a domain somehow?

Sorry I'm a noob, but I don't know where else to look! Any pointers would be super helpful!

11. Erdal42

Erdal42

I wanted to try Noble Connect out, but ran with the exact same issue.

Easy to reproduce with a new project, trying to make it work with Mirror :

- Create new Unity project (tested in 2019.3.9.1f)
    - Asset store : download latest Noble Connect Free : OK
    - First issue: Read the README inviting to try out an example which doesn't exist in the imported libs
    (I just supposed here that you have to choose between UNet and Mirror, no pb)
    - Follow the INSTALL in Mirror folder:
    - Download and import last version of Mirror from the store: OK
    - Download and import from github one of the two mentionned transport lib (I chose Ignorance) : OK
    - Import the mirror support (provided unity package in the mirror folder) : same bugs as mentionned by Trev

Project cannot compile, I'm stuck :/

MirrorErrorNoble.png

12. Erdal42

Erdal42

13. Erdal42

Erdal42

Ok, so after some digging here is my feedback: DO NOT BUY THIS ASSET

While on paper it may look great. It doesn't follow Mirror's updates (which is on the contrary very active).
    Except the bugs cited above (I did fix those issues, that was pretty simple actually. Mirror just changed some signatures), it's not as "plug and play" as said (nothing given to replace Mirror's Discovery for example). And I ran randomly into bugs like
    Code (csharp):
    1. Noble Connect [34922]: No bridge found for peer: 127.0.0.1:51829
    The website has zero doc.

The dev didn't give any feedback for the reported bug above for more than a week. And while that might be normal in this period (Covid19), it makes you think about how your game will continue working if a one-guy project is not responding if something happens to the relay servers.

This project looks like good if you were using UNet and want some P2P multiplayer (didn't try but I'm supposing as there is no more updates in UNet) but definitely not if you're using Mirror latest asset store version.

I don't think this project deserves (currently) 5 starts and will write a review in this way. But I'd be glad to give ffor free the fixed files / assists you in testing with Mirror / discuss about my remark above, to change my mind a put 5 stats back.

Cheers.

14. Erdal42

Erdal42

Just joined the Discord...

THIS PROJECT IS DEAD.
    DO NOT BUY OR EVEN TRY THE FREE VERSION

You're warned now :)

15. Zebadiah

Zebadiah

It's the Matchmaker URL on the Matchmaker component, you can change that to point to whatever domain or IP that you want.

16. Zebadiah

Zebadiah

@Erdal42 Sorry for your issues. I've been working on some major updates for Noble Connect and the support got away from me a bit. The mirror update is coming shortly, and going forward we will indicate which version of Mirror is supported on the Asset Store page. It is not possible for me to keep up to date with Mirror's rapid release schedule, but I can at least make things easier when getting started so it's clear which version of Mirror to use.

https://noblewhale.com/docs/
    https://noblewhale.com/docs/annotated.html
    https://noblewhale.com/faq/

17. Zebadiah

Zebadiah

@Erdal42 The latest version of Noble Connect that was just released supports the latest version of Mirror on the Asset Store. Going forward I'll make sure to indicate which version of Mirror is supported in the Product Description. The "no bridge for peer" issue is also now fixed. Sorry for the delays.

18. liuyang61

liuyang61

Hi, I've purchased the starter pack but my CCU limit remains 8. What should I do?

19. Zebadiah

Zebadiah

@liuyang61 I believe I already responded to you on discord, but this issue has been resolved. Thanks for reporting it.

20. yangyang233

yangyang233

I'm going to buy it and use it with mirror. I want to know if there is any way for other players to reselect the current host after it exits the game instead of ending it together

21. yangyang233

yangyang233

And it can hardly be used in games at 4G

22. vyral13

vyral13

One of the reasons I had to switch networking.
    God, I would LOVE to use Mirror and Noble Connect.
    My game is android/mobile based. So host migration or soft host drop is 100% needed without going the dedicated server route. Trouble is the alternate networking solution sends 10x more data than my setup with Mirror, however host migration is included and thats vital for me.

On the plus side, the 4G Host & Client freeze issue on the Samsung S10 is now fixed!

+1 for a host migration (but i think thats more down to Mirror?)

23. Zebadiah

Zebadiah

@vyral13 Yeah, that's pretty much down to Mirror, it's kind of outside of the scope of Noble Connect, whose only job should be to establish a connection. You can definitely implement Host Migration on top of Noble Connect though, it's just not built in. You can take a look at the old UNet host migration code to see how you might go about doing that.

24. Zebadiah

Zebadiah

Not totally sure what you mean here, but if you want to stay connected to the current host then just don't disconnect :)

Noble Connect supports pretty much every kind of connection these days including 4G, tethered, vpn, etc. I believe the only thing it doesn't support is web sockets.

25. voody2506

voody2506

Hello. Is there msg/sec limit like in Photon Cloud? Can I handle 100 Network Transforms with it?

26. Zebadiah

Zebadiah

@voody2506 There is no rate limit but there is a monthly bandwidth limit and ccu limit depending on your plan.

27. xhkong

xhkong

@Zebadiah I'm really interested in using this with Mirror. It seems that mirror support is an issue. The current Mirror version in Asset store is 16.1.1. The noble connect in Asset Store says it support 13.0.1. Is there any plan in publishing an update soon? Or I will have to move on. Thanks!

28. Zebadiah

Zebadiah

@xhkong Yes I am releasing an update today that is compatible with the latest version of Mirror on the Asset Store.

29. pashara123

pashara123

Hi, @Zebadiah.
    How I can start using p2p on stack Noble Connect + Mirror? Is it possible?
    If I'm trying to use LiteNetLib4MirrorTransport on Example Mirror, Connection type is Always DIRECT.

Because NobleClient.cs contains the following lines:

Code (CSharp):
    2.         private void OnClientConnect(NetworkConnection conn, ConnectMessage message)
    3.         {
    4.             // This happens when connecting in LAN only mode, which is always direct
    5.             if (baseClient == null) latestConnectionType = ConnectionType.DIRECT;
    7.             isConnecting = false;
    8.             if (baseClient != null)
    9.             {
    10.                 baseClient.FinalizeConnection(hostBridgeEndPoint);
    11.             }
    12.         }
    There is no any mentions in the code ConnectionType like PUNCHTHROUGH or RELAY.
    How to start using RELAY and does it helps to start using Noble for p2p connection?
    Have a nice day!

30. Zebadiah

Zebadiah

@pashara123 By default Noble Connect will use relays only when necessary. You don't generally tell Noble Connect what type of connection to use, it picks the best one automatically. If you would like to force a relay connection though there is a Force Relay Connection option on the NetworkManager that you can use. You'll need to set it on both client and host to force relays to be used.

31. HealSoup

HealSoup

Hello @Zebadiah
    I am looking to make a P2P game on desktop only. I dont have any want of relays.

Is there a way to never use relays? Ie only connect if it can be direct or punch through?
    With only using direct/punch through, is an account/game still limited by CCU?

Thank you,

32. WarpedPixel

WarpedPixel

This seems like the perfect package for my needs, but Im having a hard time getting it to work. I have a multiplayer game that works well with Mirror on open networks. I have a matchmaking server ready to form matches and share server IP/port connection information. But I can't get Noble Connect to run reliably.

I went back to the basics and created a clean project: Unity 2019.4.4f1 (basis for my project), Mirror 1.7.3, Noble Connect latest and either LiteNet4Mirror 1.2.10 (the official release 1.2.8 has a different bug) or Ignorance 1.3.9. Both give the same error. This is on Mac OS Catalina latest.

I am running the Example Mirror scene from Noble Connect. Just replaced the transport to point to the new transport component I added to the Network Manager (threaded for Ignorance). Just clicking on the "Host" button shows me the messages below. Naturally things don't work after this. The HUD does show a server and port, for example 161.35.236.97:53353.

Code (CSharp):
    1. NetworkServer.RegisterHandler replacing handler for Mirror.ConnectMessage, id=55829. If replacement is intentional, use ReplaceHandler instead to avoid this warning.
    2. (Filename: ./Runtime/Export/Debug/Debug.bindings.h Line: 35)
    4. NetworkServer.RegisterHandler replacing handler for Mirror.DisconnectMessage, id=8819. If replacement is intentional, use ReplaceHandler instead to avoid this warning.
    5. (Filename: ./Runtime/Export/Debug/Debug.bindings.h Line: 35)
    7. Server received a client connection.
    8. Client connected.
    9. Noble Connect [5570]: Failed to send over socket: 169.254.240.83:53803 -> 161.35.236.97:3478
    10. No route to host
    11. UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_Log(LogType, LogOption, String, Object)
    12. UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogFormat(LogType, Object, String, Object[])
    13. UnityEngine.Logger:Log(LogType, Object)
    14. UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    15. NobleConnect.Logger:Log(String, Level) (at C:\Users\thegr\Noble Whale\Noble Connect\Noble Connect DLL\Noble Connect\Logger.cs:39)
    16. NobleConnect.Stun.Controller:SendMessage(Message, IPEndPoint, IPEndPoint) (at C:\Users\thegr\Noble Whale\Noble Connect\Noble Connect DLL\Noble Connect\Stun\Controller.cs:277)
    17. NobleConnect.Stun.StunExtension:Send(Message, IPEndPoint, IPEndPoint) (at C:\Users\thegr\Noble Whale\Noble Connect\Noble Connect DLL\Noble Connect\Stun\StunExtension.cs:131)
    18. NobleConnect.Stun.<>c__DisplayClass54_0:<_Send>b__0(IStunExtension) (at C:\Users\thegr\Noble Whale\Noble Connect\Noble Connect DLL\Noble Connect\Stun\Controller.cs:713)
    19. NobleConnect.Stun.ExtensionList:ForEachUntilTrue(Func`2) (at C:\Users\thegr\Noble Whale\Noble Connect\Noble Connect DLL\Noble Connect\Stun\ExtensionList.cs:57)
    20. NobleConnect.Stun.Controller:_Send(Message, IPEndPoint, IPEndPoint) (at C:\Users\thegr\Noble Whale\Noble Connect\Noble Connect DLL\Noble Connect\Stun\Controller.cs:712)
    21. NobleConnect.Stun.Controller:SendRequest(Message, IPEndPoint, IPEndPoint, IPEndPoint, Action`1, Action`1, Int32, Int32) (at C:\Users\thegr\Noble Whale\Noble Connect\Noble Connect DLL\Noble Connect\Stun\Controller.cs:684)
    22. NobleConnect.Stun.Controller:Send(Message, IPEndPoint, IPEndPoint, IPEndPoint, Action`1, Action`1, Int32, Int32) (at C:\Users\thegr\Noble Whale\Noble Connect\Noble Connect DLL\Noble Connect\Stun\Controller.cs:699)
    23. NobleConnect.Turn.TurnExtension:SendAllocateRequest(Action`1, Action`1, Action`1, Byte[], Int32, Int32, Int32, Int32) (at C:\Users\thegr\Noble Whale\Noble Connect\Noble Connect DLL\Noble Connect\Turn\TurnExtension.cs:216)
    24. NobleConnect.Ice.Controller:<GatherReflexiveAndRelayCandidates>b__56_0() (at C:\Users\thegr\Noble Whale\Noble Connect\Noble Connect DLL\Noble Connect\Ice\Controller.cs:645)
    25. System.Threading.ThreadHelper:ThreadStart_Context(Object)
    26. System.Threading.ExecutionContext:RunInternal(ExecutionContext, ContextCallback, Object, Boolean)
    27. System.Threading.ExecutionContext:Run(ExecutionContext, ContextCallback, Object, Boolean)
    28. System.Threading.ExecutionContext:Run(ExecutionContext, ContextCallback, Object)
    29. System.Threading.ThreadHelper:ThreadStart()

33. Fuestrine

Fuestrine

@HealSoup
    Games are pay limited by CCU regardless of the connection type with Noble Connect. Punchthrough was probably a majority of the work for this project and we didn't want to be incentivized to give people a worse (relay) connection just so we could make more money.

Let me know if you still want me to look into if you can only use punchthrough and not relays.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
  34. Zebadiah

Zebadiah

@WarpedPixel The "Failed to send over socket" messages are a normal part of the process. Noble Connect will attempt to use every network interface and address available, and many will often fail, but that's fine as long as at least one succeeds. I would need to see the full logs from both host and client to see what's going wrong, if anything. You can set the log level to "Developer" on the NetworkManager component to get more output.

35. UnivrseCore

UnivrseCore

Hi @Zebadiah,

I have just updated Mirror and Noble Connect to the latest version with LiteNetLib. When I start my host I get the following error. I made sure that the setup process with my app key is done. Do you know what the error can be? thanks!

Noble Connect [7903]: Failed to find credentials for: [fe80::54fb:64fb:b518:ef2c%12]:61144 =>
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    NobleConnect.Logger:Log(String, Level) (at C:/Users/thegr/Noble Whale/Noble Connect/Noble Connect DLL/Noble Connect/Logger.cs:39)
    NobleConnect.Turn.TurnExtension:SendAllocateRequest(Action`1, Action`1, Action`1, Byte[], Int32, Int32, Int32, Int32) (at C:/Users/thegr/Noble Whale/Noble Connect/Noble Connect DLL/Noble Connect/Turn/TurnExtension.cs:211)
    NobleConnect.Ice.Controller:<GatherReflexiveAndRelayCandidates>b__56_0() (at C:/Users/thegr/Noble Whale/Noble Connect/Noble Connect DLL/Noble Connect/Ice/Controller.cs:643)
    System.Threading.ThreadHelper:ThreadStart()

cparki3 likes this.
  36. cparki3

cparki3

I am having this exact issue. I've tried just setting up an example and running one on my wifi and another with a pc connected to my hotspot and can't connect :(

I also paid for the starter pack but my account has 8CCU max listed?

37. thegreatzebadiah

thegreatzebadiah

@cparki3 @AntiloopStudio There is a fix for this in the pipeline that will be released soon.

@cparki3 You need to go to the accounts page at noblewhale.com and enter your invoice number from unity in order to activate the Starter Pack.

38. UnivrseCore

UnivrseCore

Thanks for the answer! Do you have an ETA for the fix?
    Is there any workaround to get it working? Right now it blocks our product development. Thank you!

39. thegreatzebadiah

thegreatzebadiah

40. gbelintani1

gbelintani1

Hi! Is there any way I could host my own relay server? If so, how does it work with Noble Connect? Thanks!

41. thegreatzebadiah

thegreatzebadiah

@gbelintani1 Unfortunately we do not allow self-hosting of relay servers at this time.

42. Skermunkel

Skermunkel

Hi,

I am getting the following error after importing the Mirror Noble Connect package and the latest LiteNetLib library (which I imported trying to fix the first error I got) to try and fix the first error I got:

Assets\Noble Connect\Mirror\Internal\NobleServer.cs(214,41): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'LiteNetLibTransport' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

43. Skermunkel

Skermunkel

Ok, just downloaded and imported the the LiteNetLibTransport package for Mirror and that fixe the errors above, however, now I have another new error:

Assets\LiteNetLibTransport\LiteNetLibTransport.cs(334,30): error CS0508: 'LiteNetLibTransport.ServerDisconnect(int)': return type must be 'void' to match overridden member 'Transport.ServerDisconnect(int)'

Along with the error:

the name logfactory does not exist in the current context

44. Skermunkel

Skermunkel

Ok, I've tried importing Ignorance as well now, on top of the normal LitNetLib package, as well as the LiteNetLibTransport package for Mirror. And yet, I'm still getting compiling errors, none of this is in the readme or instructions or anything, as far as I can tell at least.

How much further does this rabbit hole go?

How many more things do I need to import just to get the Mirror implementation for Noble Connect working, because there aren't any specific instructions and I imported the packages for the designated examples/implementations, yet I still get compiler errors and no replies.

Am I going to get a response, because I've left an email as well? I've already bought 2 of your products and not getting any response.

Please, any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

45. Skermunkel

Skermunkel

I just want to confirm also that the Noble Connect/MatchUp solution has Cross-Platform connection support or would I need to go with PlayFab instead for a Cross-Platform connectivity solution? I would really prefer to go with a P2P/Relay Server solution for Cross-Platform Online Multiplayer, as a small indie developer that needs to consolidate and maximize any form of a community possible the combination of both would really help.

The reason why I ask about your Cross-Platform support is because it is mentioned on the store page of Noble Connect but no console support is mentioned only PC/Mac/Linux and Mobile.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
  46. blablaalb

blablaalb

The the name logfactory doesn't exist in the current context error is because the logfactory was removed with version Version 32.1.4. It was easy to fix, just replaced LogFactory with Debug.unityLogger and passed the second argument to the logger.LogWarning method.

47. VR_Junkie

VR_Junkie

Hello, I use your smooth sync asset with photon and love it. Recently I have been trying to learn Mirror. I was hoping you could tell me the differences between your Noble Connect (with Mirror), Playfab, and Epic Online Services. I am new to networking and unsure which way to go.

48. thegreatzebadiah

thegreatzebadiah

Sorry you had such a bad experience. It can be difficult assembling a working set of assets since they are all independently managed and on different release schedules. Generally though Noble Connect supports the latest version of Mirror from the Asset Store (not their github) along with the latest release of the transports that support udp. Sometimes the latest version of the transport doesn't even work with the latest version of mirror, plus litenetlib moved at one point which often confuses people, then you get Noble Connect involved on it's release schedule and the whole situation is rather awful.

I just submitted an update to the asset store that work with the latest Mirror from the Asset store as well as the latest litenetlib and ignorance transport releases. It should be live soon but you can go ahead and get it here as well if you want: https://www.dropbox.com/s/g8ced022nphuru6/Noble Connect - Free.unitypackage?dl=0

As for cross-platform support, we don't list the consoles on the store page because frankly I don't have the resources to test it and I don't want to claim support for something I can't verify. That being said, there's no real technical reason why it shouldn't work. There's no native code involved, it's all c#, so it should work as well as any other code you'd write in Unity. Noble Connect should have absolutely no problem connecting people on different platforms though. The relays don't know or care what platforms is connecting to them.

49. thegreatzebadiah

thegreatzebadiah

I wish I could be of more help but I'm honestly not very familiar with any of those. I'll give them a quick google and see if I can come up with an informed breakdown.

Just to start with Noble Connect though: It is for peer-hosted (or peer-to-peer) networking, to solve the problem of player hosts generally not being connectable. It does this using either relays that all players connect to instead of the player host, or by creating a direct route to the player host via punchthrough. The relays are sort of like dedicated servers in that they provide a way for players to connect that is guaranteed to not be blocked, but they are much cheaper because they only have to relay data, not run your entire game. Punchthrough is essentially just magic that can sometimes trick a router into letting incoming connections in, but it doesn't always work, which is why the relays exist.

PlayFab looks like it has dedicated servers, which would be more expensive generally than relays. It also has other services like matchmaking which is not included in the free version of Noble Connect. The payed version of Noble Connect comes with our Match Up plugin though which fills that role. There are other things here like leaderboards and chat that are not offered by any Noble Whale plugin.

Epic Online Services mentions p2p and their docs seem to have references to relays so I imagine that is pretty similar to Noble Connect. They also offer other things similar to PlayFab like leaderboards and chat that fall under the umbrella of "online services" which is sort of a separate thing from the actual core game networking that Noble Connect is involved with.

Also just off the top of my head I believe steam has an api that offers similar online services and maybe even punchthrough, but I'm unsure about relays.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
    VR_Junkie likes this.
  50. AcIdSaMa

AcIdSaMa

So I'm looking in to this as a solution for my game, I have tried many different networking solutions and just can settle on one I like.

But one thing I'm not seeing is a way to register a handler for host/server side only client side, cause the framework I use requires to trigger a call back for when data is received.

So I'm not seeing a way to set my OnMessageRecevied, unless I'm missing it somewhere. I know it's there in the NetworkServer class within Mirror.

Seen the last reply to this was back in August sorry if I'm necroing this thread.