Search Unity

Noble Connect - Relays and Punchthrough

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by thegreatzebadiah, Mar 15, 2019.

1. thegreatzebadiah

thegreatzebadiah

Adds Relays and Punchthrough to UNet and Mirror

Asset | Docs | API | FAQ | Website
    Introducing Noble Connect, a brand new solution designed to add relays and punchthrough to UNet and Mirror.

The relays provide a guaranteed connection while punchthrough reduces latency and saves you money by connecting players directly whenever possible.

The free version comes with 8 CCU and 24GB / mo of bandwidth over the relays, which should be sufficient for some substantial testing.

We also have a paid Starter Pack that comes with 100 CCU/mo for 5 years, and includes our Match Up plugin for free.

Additional monthly plans are also available on our website.

Ease of Use
    Just drop it in and go. Your code could change as little as a few lines. Let us worry about the back end while you make your game as great as it can be!

Competitive Pricing
    By including punchthrough with our relays, we are able to reduce bandwidth costs. This allows us to be less expensive than our competitors and pass the savings on to you.

Direct Connect Whenever Possible
    Why waste your hard earned money using bandwidth on the relay servers if you don't have to? A direct connection means less lag and a better player experience.

Guaranteed Connection
    Thanks to the Noble Connect Relays, your players will always be able to host and connect. Even when behind a very strict router or on a mobile network.

Powered by Proven Technology
    Noble Connect implements ICE, STUN, and TURN. These technologies are industry standards for real-time data transfer applications like gaming, voip, and video messaging.

Worldwide Automatic Region Selection
    We have servers worldwide to maintain the lowest ping possible. By default the best geographic region is selected automatically based on proximity. You can also manually choose which region to use.

Load Balancing
    We automatically balance the load between all relay servers in a region so your players always have the smoothest experience possible. If your game hits a huge spike in popularity, we’ve got you covered.

Cross-platform Support
    Build for Windows, OSX, Linux, Android, or iOS and connect across any combination of platforms.

Example Scenes
    Example scenes are included with detailed comments that demonstrate using Noble Connect with the NetworkManager, lobbies, and running your own custom solution.

Professional Support
    We have a consistent 5 star record of prompt and effective support. Contact us via email, forums, or Discord any time and we will work with you to resolve any issue.

Right now only UNet and Mirror are supported out of the box but we will be looking to continue expanding. Let us know if there is a specific networking system you would like to see supported.

Note: Web builds are not supported.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  2. thegreatzebadiah

thegreatzebadiah

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  3. thegreatzebadiah

thegreatzebadiah

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  4. thegreatzebadiah

thegreatzebadiah

Noble Connect 1.01 Released
    • Fixed broken scenes.
    • Reworked NobleServer to be static like NetworkServer.
    • Better explanations in Example scenes.
    • Improved README and docs.
    Nothing too exciting in this release. The NobleServer is a little easier to use now as it has been reworked to function more like the NetworkServer from UNet.

Keep an eye out for our next release which should include Mirror support. The LiteNetLib and Ignorance transports are working, just need some clean up and testing and it will be ready to go.

5. elasto

elasto

This looks brilliant!

Rough ETA for Mirror support? Closer to a week or closer to a month?

thegreatzebadiah likes this.
  6. thegreatzebadiah

thegreatzebadiah

@elasto We literally just submitted a new release to the Asset store with Mirror support. So it should just be a few days to a week.

elasto likes this.
  7. thegreatzebadiah

thegreatzebadiah

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  8. elasto

elasto

Thanks!

I opted to go with Ignorance for transport since I've seen its name thrown about on Discord, and I have the sample Mirror Network Manager example working locally, so all systems go so far..!

thegreatzebadiah likes this.
  9. thegreatzebadiah

thegreatzebadiah

Noble Connect 1.02 Released
    • Mirror support is live! More networking systems coming soon as well.
    • Added support for Unity Engine 5.6, 2017.1, 2017.2 and 2017.3
    I'm really happy about the Mirror support, and it will only be improving in the future as I work with the transport devs to improve support. Thanks to the whole Mirror team and the LiteNetLib and Ignorance transport devs specifically who helped me out with a ton of questions.

10. Fuestrine

Fuestrine

We've got a video! I'll be making a more detailed overview / tutorial video next so let me know if anyone wants to see anything specifically.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  11. thegreatzebadiah

thegreatzebadiah

Noble Connect 1.03 Released
    • Updated to support Mirror 3.4.9
    Sorry, kind of a boring release, but we are up date with latest Mirror now. More substantial updates are coming soon including support for additional network systems and a brand new landing page for the website.

12. Martho42

Martho42

Looks great so far! Just what my game needs. A couple questions I have:

If Noble Connect makes a direct or punchthrough connection, are the users still counted towards CCU?

When using noble network managers, is it possible to do a regular LAN connection still? When running two instances on my computer, typing in 127.0.0.1 on the client gives errors. If I type in the external address and port provided by the host it does make a direct connection between the two instances, but typing them in every time will be pretty annoying for testing my game.

13. Fuestrine

Fuestrine

@Martho42
    Yes, CCU counts when directly connecting. Some clarification though is that our punchthrough and servers are what's going to be the main reason for being able to direct connect in the first place. Which means that we work hard to provide a direct connection when possible, which is always going to be a lower latency connection for your players.

For the local connection, setting up a matchmaking service is probably the best way to make it easy to connect. Any matchmaking solution will do, but we have Match Up which also comes free with the Noble Connect Starter Pack or any paid plan.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

14. Martho42

Martho42

@Fuestrine
    Thanks for the reply! It's fair, can't complain considering the great prices. I'll likely purchase the starter pack soon.

In addition to the LAN testing convenience, I'm planning to make my game free for LAN use but with a small price for match making, so I do want my game to work over LAN still without adding to Noble Connect CCUs. Probably I will just make my code work polymorphically so I can use either a normal unet network manager for LAN or a Noble Connect manager for matchmaking. I expect it will be pretty easy to do.

Another question: Is Noble Connect more likely to be able to create a direct connection than the NAT traversal asset, or are they practically the same? I'll probably go for Noble Connect either way, but I like to asses all options properly before deciding.

15. Fuestrine

Fuestrine

@Martho42
    Noble Connect has better punchthrough and will be able to make more direct connections than the NAT Traversal Asset. We rewrote the entire punchthrough from the ground up with all that we learned from writing NAT Traversal and supporting it over the years. NAT Traversal is also based on RakNet which has limitations, while Noble Connect is custom built.

16. Bonkahe

Bonkahe

Hey @Fuestrine I was wondering about your support for later versions of unity, what is the most current version of unity you support?

17. Fuestrine

Fuestrine

@Bonkahe
    Any 2018 version is our latest. I think 2019 came out a couple days ago. We haven't gotten around to it yet but I think it should support it. We'll be putting out an official version for it soon.

You can check out the "Supported Unity Versions" on the Asset Store page to see the full list of current supported versions.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  18. greenbraygames

greenbraygames

Hi I was wondering if using player's as a host would still incur costs such as the CCU and Data Limit like how the NAT Traversal Punch through would allow us smaller developers to avoid costs with using Unity's Servers

Also how do we go about using this or removing just this plugin and code for our game on Xbox One and other consoles?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  19. Fuestrine

Fuestrine

@greenbraygames
    Players are always hosts in any scenario unless you are using a dedicated server (with or without Noble Connect).

Punchthrough / direction connection adds to CCU with Noble Connect but it only uses a small amount of data when connecting because it uses our servers to facilitate the punchthrough / direct connection. We work very hard to make it so you always have the best connection possible. That means making our punchthrough as good as it can be so that you end up with a direct connection a vast majority of the time (85-95% according to the scientific papers of the standards we implemented).

For removing it for consoles, not too much of your code should be tied into Noble Connect as it's just used for connecting and disconnecting. So hopefully it's not too much of a pain to have pre-processor directives that you can set to switch between the two ways to connect / disconnect.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  20. greenbraygames

greenbraygames

So since we're using your severs does that mean we won't have to worry about players dropping or being unable to connect to the host user? Also do we still need the NAT Traversal Plugin too?

21. thegreatzebadiah

thegreatzebadiah

Yep, that's the idea.

Nope. Noble Connect completely replaces NAT Traversal.

22. Martho42

Martho42

I've purchased the starter pack and almost finished integrating Matchup in my game. So far so good. Is there a way to change the log frequency? All of the "Received bytes" messages and other messages are making it a little difficult to debug my game. It's not as bad when they're collapsed, but sometimes I need to un-collapse to see the order that my debug messages are coming in.

23. thegreatzebadiah

thegreatzebadiah

@Martho42 You can set the LevelLevel on the NetworkManager.
    upload_2019-5-3_7-57-36.png

You can also set the Log level in code:

Code (CSharp):
    1. NobleConnect.Logger.logLevel = logLevel;

24. anthonyk

anthonyk

Hi,
    I have a question regarding a specific use case and want to know if Noble connect can help.

I want to connect multiple Android devices on a same local network without having them to type in manually the local ip address of the player hosting the game and without having to open any port on the router.

- Is this possible with Noble Connect ? (using internet I guess)
    - Is this possible without an internet connection ? like each client search in the background for the host inside the local network and connect to it automatically.

Thanks for your reply :)

25. thegreatzebadiah

thegreatzebadiah

26. kexar66

kexar66

Hi, I was trying to implement Noble Connect with Match Up, but I am getting this exception on server, after client is trying to connect (also in Example Match Up scene):
    Noble Connect: No channel for peer: 81.92.254.xyz:4570
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    NobleConnect.Logger:Log(String, Level) (at C:/Users/Selena/Documents/NobleRelayDLL/Noble Connect/Logger.cs:37)
    NobleConnect.Turn.TurnExtension:SendChannelMessage(PoolBuffer, Int32, IPEndPoint, Action) (at C:/Users/Selena/Documents/NobleRelayDLL/Noble Connect/Turn/TurnExtension.cs:642)
    NobleConnect.Peer:SendOutgoing(Bridge, Int32, PoolBuffer) (at C:/Users/Selena/Documents/NobleRelayDLL/Noble Connect/Peer.cs:208)
    NobleConnect.Peer:HandleOutgoingData(IAsyncResult) (at C:/Users/Selena/Documents/NobleRelayDLL/Noble Connect/Peer.cs:187)
    System.Net.Sockets.Worker:ReceiveFrom()

I registered on your website and entered Game ID into settings.

27. thegreatzebadiah

thegreatzebadiah

@kexar66 are you by any chance getting this error on Android or IOS or connecting to / from a cellular network?

28. kexar66

kexar66

No, it is from unity windows to unity windows. Unity 2018.3.10.

29. thegreatzebadiah

thegreatzebadiah

I am in contact with kexar66 on discord and working through the issue. Didn't want it to look like I just left him hanging here :)

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    kexar66 likes this.
  30. Oscar-Tsang

Oscar-Tsang

Can you provide a service call "Direct connect only", you only provide "match making" service, all connection require direct connect/NAT connect. So, no CCU limit count.

31. thegreatzebadiah

thegreatzebadiah

32. Oscar-Tsang

Oscar-Tsang

Actually what I want is your "Match up" and "NAT Traversal", but your "NAT Traversal" not support iOS and Android. Also, it no information about support "Mirror" or not. Seen "UNet" is no future, switch to "Mirror" is only choose. And support mobile is a must, do not support mobile is not use.

33. thegreatzebadiah

thegreatzebadiah

@Oscar-Tsang Noble Connect is the closest you're going to get, and if you're aiming for mobile you're almost certainly going to need the relays anyway. Punchthrough is not very effective on mobile networks.

34. thegreatzebadiah

thegreatzebadiah

Yeah sorry, I've got nothing for that. Not sure what you would use for Bluetooth.

NeatWolf likes this.
  35. PartyBoat

PartyBoat

Wait seriously? In that case you've basically removed the most appealing aspect of your product. People use your NAT Traversal asset because they are indies with no capital who want to provide multiplayer in their games without paying exorbitant monthly fees. I assume this might be one of the reasons why this asset is seeing less interest on the store than NAT Traversal. Right now Noble Connect is basically an unproven version of PUN with slightly better pricing compared to Photon's.

In NAT Traversal you went out of your way to advertise how direct connections would save users from having to spend money on relay servers. Nobel Connect abandons that position and represents a significantly worse change in the value proposition. Not only that but Unity's relay pricing calculator which you linked to yourself in the NAT Traversal product page, is an example of a much more fair pricing scheme for how cost should be calculated for relay services.

Unity charges based on bandwidth while Nobel Connect charges based on the completely arbitrary CCU value. If I have a turn-based, low-bandwidth game and used Unity's relay services I could have ~5000 concurrent users and only pay ~$30/mo, while in the same situation with Nobel Connect I'd be paying an eye watering $800/mo.

I won't even get into the downsides of being reliant on Nobel Connect's services staying alive when Unity itself is discontinuing it's own services out from under many developer's feet.

This is all pretty disappointing considering I'm a big fan of your other products. What people need right now is something like NAT Traversal for Mirror (and the new Unity networking system when it arrives). I would gladly pay $60+ for such an asset like I did for NAT Traversal. I would also happily pay for your relay services if I only needed to use them when a direct connection wasn't possible.

Nobel Connect could be this asset if you simply charged an upfront cost for it and provided the option for users to pay for your relay services if they wanted to improve their connection success rates. I'd be a great upsell instead of feeling like a forced requirement. You'd also probably make a profit right away instead of hoping for developers who use Noble Connect to become successful enough to need to pay for CCU, but I digress.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    LamronEbYhw likes this.
  36. Fuestrine

Fuestrine

@PartyBoat
    Thanks for the message. I'm always happy to talk and think about how we try to make a living selling game assets. I agree with a lot of what you said, but hopefully I can provide clarification to some of your hesitations and some insights into how we ended up with this pricing structure.

I'd argue that it's not really exorbitant and that you are overestimating how sales translate into CCU. The super successful Undertale had a peak of 1,594 CCU last month. They hit a monthly peak of ~10,000 CCU in their lifetime (for only two months then it dropped off significantly) with sales totaling over 3.5 million (as of July 2018). If you have 3.5 million copies sold, the cost of Noble Connect is going to be a very very small proportion of your profits.

There are only 106 games on Steam with over 4,000 CCU right now. This isn't peak time (middle of the day Sunday), but not many games are going to see the numbers you are talking about, and if they do they will have an insane amount of sales.

If you are worried about the upfront cost before you know if your game is a hit, it only costs $80 for 500CCU and it will give you unlimited CCU for two days in case your game is a sleeper hit and you weren't expecting it.

Noble Connect has punchthrough and the ability to direct connect while PUN does not. It provides a far superior connection a majority of the time. I do agree that we aren't as proven in the relay part of it though.

The money just isn't there unfortunately. Even NAT Traversal, which used the much more popular networking system, didn't really net us that much money.

We wouldn’t have much incentive to make our punchthrough better (punchthrough causes direct connections) if we went with their pricing structure though. Which I assume is why Unity completely got rid of their punchthrough with UNet. By not having punchthrough at all, or by releasing an inferior product, we'd be forcing customers into a worse connection (relay connection), but we’d make more money assuming our user's games get any traction at all. It's bad for our customers and their players.

Hopefully I clarified all the points that I thought needed clarifying. Let me know if you have any questions and thanks again for reaching out.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    harleydk likes this.
  37. PartyBoat

PartyBoat

Thinking through it again I believe you're correct in calling me out on the CCU cost being a non-issue at that level of success. It's still frustrating knowing that there is essentially a free solution out there if I did the work for punch through myself. Alas, that's true for pretty much any tech solution and it's the cost of doing business.

Anyway, I appreciate the response on this. Thanks for your time!

38. JasmineEvic

JasmineEvic

Hi, here! I'm just beginning to work with Unity and I'm interested in understanding networking. Few questions:
    1. Which product would I need to be able to connect players from different parts of the world and have them synced and logged in without them entering any IP address? Any examples on how to do this?
    2. Who are your main competitors and what are the differences?
    3. Will it work in conjunction with this Anti Cheat Asset? https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/utilities/anti-cheat-toolkit-v1-10395
    4. What kind of asset would work perfectly with your products, any suggestions based on your experience for an authoritative server asset/configuration ?
    5. Is there a limit on how many game assets can be synced up before lagging occurs?

There are two games that I'm building: one will be a 2D shooter game where players will be on a map and try and survive, another one will be a 2D RTS and longer term a 3D open world FPS.
    Thank you and sorry for the noob questions! Looking forward to your reply.

39. Fuestrine

Fuestrine

@JasmineEvic
    1) Our Match Up product will allow you to get an IP and connect so your players don't need to type it in. Match Up has examples.
    2) PUN is our main competitor. They don't allow direct connections though so we provide a faster connection (less ping) a vast majority of the time.
    3) I have no clue, but if it works with a networking system we support and doesn't involve the connecting part of networking, I would think it would work.
    4) I'd imagine anything except a dedicated server type game (where you can just open the ports yourself so the connection is always guaranteed) would be a good fit for Noble Connect.
    5) I haven't tested for exact numbers, but the limit would be on the networking system instead of our relays. So any limit you have when just direct connecting between two computers is the limit of Noble Connect.

Let me know if you have any questions.

JasmineEvic likes this.
  40. JasmineEvic

JasmineEvic

Thank you for your quick reply! Time to look into this harder! Have a good Sunday!

41. tststs

tststs

When importing Noble Connect and the latest Mirror i'm getting the following errors:

Assets/Noble Connect/Mirror/Internal/NobleNetworkManager.cs(324,20): error CS0315: The type 'Mirror.ConnectMessage' cannot be used as type parameter 'T' in the generic type or method 'NobleClient.RegisterHandler<T>(Action<NetworkConnection, T>)'. There is no boxing conversion from 'Mirror.ConnectMessage' to 'Mirror.MessageBase'.

Assets/Noble Connect/Mirror/Internal/NobleNetworkManager.cs(325,20): error CS0315: The type 'Mirror.DisconnectMessage' cannot be used as type parameter 'T' in the generic type or method 'NobleClient.RegisterHandler<T>(Action<NetworkConnection, T>)'. There is no boxing conversion from 'Mirror.DisconnectMessage' to 'Mirror.MessageBase'.

Assets/Noble Connect/Mirror/Internal/NobleServer.cs(501,34): error CS0121: The call is ambiguous between the following methods or properties: 'NetworkServer.SendToReady<T>(NetworkIdentity, T, bool, int)' and 'NetworkServer.SendToReady<T>(NetworkIdentity, T, int)'

Is the current Mirror version compatible to Noble Connect?

42. thegreatzebadiah

thegreatzebadiah

Nope, I'll get a new version out ASAP though. You can message me if you want to get your hands on it in advance.

43. greenbraygames

greenbraygames

44. thegreatzebadiah

thegreatzebadiah

@greenbraygames It will support the new multiplayer. In the meantime I recommend Mirror which is more mature and full featured that the new unity networking.

45. PuLieNDo

PuLieNDo

Which Mirror version suits for the current Asset Store Noble Connect package?

46. thegreatzebadiah

thegreatzebadiah

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    PuLieNDo likes this.
  47. FranknSon

FranknSon

I like your products (Smooth Sync is working great). I am using a modified version of lobby Manager and was wondering how I could use Noble Connect with it. I will take a look at Match-Up but the deadline is coming up and will need to wait. We are doing a Multiuser FPS for the Oculus Go.

48. thegreatzebadiah

thegreatzebadiah

@FranknSon If you're extending from the built in lobby manager you should be able to extend from the NobleNetworkLobbyManager instead. If you're instead extending from NetworkManager to create your own lobby manager from scratch it's going to be a bit more difficult. You will need to extend from NobleNetworkManager and also replace any referenced to NetworkLobbyPlayer with NobleLobbyPlayer.

49. vyral13

vyral13

Hi!
    I am currently using your Free Noble Connect with UNET. I know UNET soon to be removed. But using noble connect with unet shouldnt effect my game if I continue to use 2018? I converted project over to Mirror, but the smoothness of my gameplay dropped using Mirror compared to Unet, its a mobile racing game so needs smooth gameplay else no point multiplayer.
    My main problem with Noble Connect is using the above setup works absolutely fine. Tested Android to Android over WIFI forced using Relays and it worked great. Perfect smooth mobile network gameplay...However when connecting using 4g or mobile network the game completely crashes/cannot connect. Tested on a blank scene using your example. It simply cannot host a game using 4g (Galaxy S10).
    My issue is I have about 2 weeks before I launch, its soley a mobile game. So must have mobile network access. Ideally i would like to continue using NC - UNET and Match Up, rather than converting to Photon. Any settings I have glanced over?
    Cheers!

PS. Seems to be a device issue. Freezes on Galaxy S10, 4G works fine One Plus 5t.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  50. thegreatzebadiah

thegreatzebadiah

@vyral13 If you contact me on our discord I can work with you to get to the bottom of the issue. I'll probably need your help testing solutions since I don't have those specific devices to test on. https://discord.gg/6VpgNQg

I just noticed your review on Photon, so it looks like maybe you've already switched. If you're willing though I'd still appreciate your help in getting to the bottom of this issue. Thank you!