Search Unity

No way to play a video with VideoPlayer with webgl after build (URL or video in assets)

Discussion in 'Web' started by Jhereck, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Jhereck

Jhereck

Hi,

I spend a lot of time trying to play a video in Webgl and it did not work.

I tried :

- with URL
    - with video in assets (checking transcode or/and adding in preload)
    - with different scripts
    - with different versions of Unity (2018.1, 2018.2 and 2018.3 beta)

It's working in editor, but they did not play in browser after build.

Help pls !

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  2. Jhereck

Jhereck

Solved it was a CORS problem : no way to access to online videos as soon as project is built, unless videos are stored on a server you can setup CORS with a .htaccess (or you project is also stored on this server).

If you have a doubt check "developper" in build option so you can look at error when the browser load the window.

3. mustang4484

mustang4484

Hello, i've a similar problem….in the editor my "video streaming" play, but when build my project and open my weblink the video is only blank and doesn't play.
    can you help me?
    Thank you!!

4. CCouto96

CCouto96

Hey. I am also having a similar issue with WebGL not playing videos after the build.
    If possible, can you give me step-by-step directions on how you managed to get yours to work? I have been trying for a while and haven't had much luck. I just want to make sure I have done everything correctly in Unity up to the point when I export and then figure out how to get the game working on a website.

Thanks!

5. rmills1997

rmills1997

Any updates?

6. blabberbytes

blabberbytes

I have same issue.

7. Kloper

Kloper

Video and Unity's webgl is a real pain... but here are some tips that may help some people.
    First, try to keep your videos in the StreamingAssets folder and access them using Application.streamingassetspath or what ever the command is called.
    The other issue is that some browser dont allow automatic video playback without user interaction. Try to play your video once the user clicks inside the game.. doesnt have to be a button, but just a click event.
    Then... unity's video player and chrome dont seem to like each other at all.. but it seems to work most of the time in firefox and safari. (in chrome, sometimes it helps if you turn off hardware acceleration)
    Its always usefull to activate the console in your browser and see what the actual error is.
    Hope this helps somebody...

JoRangers likes this.
  8. TadeuszKantor

TadeuszKantor

Hi everyone ! I'm trying to have many instances of the same video inside of a game on WEB GL... Works in the editor but whenever i try to open the build.index, it just doesn't show the video..
    And i get this error in the console.. Blocking of a cross-origin request: the "Same Origin" policy does not allow you to consult the remote resource located on file: /// C: / Users / j / Documents / Presquils / Assets / StreamingAssets / MPL % 20-% 20Panama.mp4. Reason: CORS request does not use http.
    i'm a newbie in web but advanced in Unity..
    thanks a lot !!

9. InesHilz

InesHilz

Hello there!
    I made a VideoPlayer work in WebGL with the videos in webm VP8 Format in the Streaming Assets folder.
    But, every video looks really weird, like it has a white overlay or the white areas are over exposed?
    Any tips for that? :/

10. sumpfkraut

sumpfkraut

11. owaisahmed93

owaisahmed93

Alright, so I managed to get a work around to all this, so I hope this helps someone down the line. I solved the problem with CORS by hosting the video on DigitalOcean Spaces (costs ~ $5 a month, you can get $100 in free credit too) , then going into the Settings> CORS Configurations > Add and just add *
    As a warning, * allows all GET requests, and you can of course specify exactly what you want to allow in, but this should solve your problem.

12. Marks4

Marks4