Search Unity

Feedback No way (communicated) to open an existing repository

Discussion in 'Unity Version Control' started by DevDunk, Mar 17, 2023.

1. DevDunk

DevDunk

I recently added a new drive to my PC and moved all my projects over. When starting PlasticSCM/UVC I saw no way to actually add this repository to plastic.
    In the end I figured out I had to click download repository and then select the folder already containing the project.
    This basically misinforms the user about what is happening, since it even picked up any of my changes instead of 'downloading' them back again.
    At least rename it to open or download repo or make an open existing repo button

Wolfram likes this.
  2. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

Hi,

If I properly understand, you move all your local workspaces to a different path?
    https://forum.plasticscm.com/topic/20653-moving-workspace-to-different-disc/

You can manually edit the "C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\plastic4\plastic.workspaces" file to point the specific workspace to the new location and then move the workspace (including the ".plastic" folder) to the new location.

Does it help?

Regards,
    Carlos.

3. DevDunk

DevDunk

I already got it to work. As stated in OP when you click download repo, you can select the folder you moved the repo to, and it picks up where you left off. My feedback is that this should be doable clearly via UI instead of guessing what a button does or editing a config file

4. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

Are you using Plastic GUI or the Unity plugin? can you attach some screenshot? Your feedback is welcome.

5. DevDunk

DevDunk

Plastic GUI. This is the screen where you need to press download to open an existing repo. All gitGUIs do have open repo on device options

upload_2023-3-23_12-20-19.png

6. ollieblanks

ollieblanks

Unity Technologies

Hey @DevDunk,

Really appreciate the feedback. I agree, that we should have a more gracious method of rebasing an existing workspace.

I'll share this with the team.

DevDunk likes this.
  7. Wolfram

Wolfram

Yeah, it's kind of a confusing and hidden (and undocumented?) feature that you need to (or that you CAN) click "Create New Workspace" (or in your case "Download Repository", which both open the same dialog) to re-connect to an existing/renamed/moved workspace.

Also note, if opening an existing workspace this way, you don't even have to select the correct repository, or re-enter the workspace name (and you probably even CANNOT change any of these). Instead, it is enough to simply select the project folder, and Plastic will read all the necessary info (i.e., the connected repository, and actual Workspace name you previously chose, the current changeset, pending changes, ...) from its /.plastic info in that workspace.

ollieblanks and DevDunk like this.