Search Unity

Bug No valid user created or default window found. ArtifactDB is the culprit?!

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by EdGray, Apr 6, 2023.

1. EdGray

EdGray

Hi all, we're having an issue when changing git branches on our project. Whenever moving to a new branch and trying to open the project again I get the error shown in the photo, and have to quit (revert factory settings doesn't do anything). The only way I can avoid that error is to delete Library/ArtifactDB. I can then get into the project, until I move to another branch and the same problem reoccurs. I've attached the log file as well, the relevant stuff is at the bottom - can extract it and quote it here if that helps.

Thanks for any help!

Attached Files:

ryan-at-melcher likes this.
  2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Sounds like maybe you're source-controlling the Library/ folder? You should never do this.

Here's some git setup notes:

PROPERLY CONFIGURING AND USING ENTERPRISE SOURCE CONTROL

I'm sorry you've had this issue. Please consider using proper industrial-grade enterprise-qualified source control in order to guard and protect your hard-earned work.

Personally I use git (completely outside of Unity) because it is free and there are tons of tutorials out there to help you set it up as well as free places to host your repo (BitBucket, Github, Gitlab, etc.).

You can also push git repositories to other drives: thumb drives, USB drives, network drives, etc., effectively putting a complete copy of the repository there.

As far as configuring Unity to play nice with git, keep this in mind:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/prefab-links-keep-getting-dumped-on-git-pull.646600/#post-7142306

I usually make a separate repository for each game, but I have some repositories with a bunch of smaller test games.

Here is how I use git in one of my games, Jetpack Kurt:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/2-steps-backwards.965048/#post-6282497

Using fine-grained source control as you work to refine your engineering:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/whe...grammer-example-in-text.1048739/#post-6783740

Share/Sharing source code between projects:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/your-techniques-to-share-code-between-projects.575959/#post-3835837

Setting up an appropriate .gitignore file for Unity3D:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/removing-il2cpp_cache-from-project.1084607/#post-6997067

Generally the ONLY folders you should ever source control are:

Assets/
    ProjectSettings/
    Packages/

NEVER source control Library/ or Temp/
    NEVER source control anything from Visual Studio (.vs, .csproj, none of that noise)

Generally setting Unity up (includes above .gitignore concepts):

https://thoughtbot.com/blog/how-to-git-with-unity

It is only simple economics that you must expend as much effort into backing it up as you feel the work is worth in the first place. Digital storage is so unbelievably cheap today that you can buy gigabytes of flash drive storage for about the price of a cup of coffee. It's simply ridiculous not to back up.

If you plan on joining the software industry, you will be required and expected to know how to use source control.

"Use source control or you will be really sad sooner or later." - StarManta on the Unity3D forum boards

3. EdGray

EdGray

Hi, thanks for the reply. The Library folder is definitely in the gitignore, and I'm assured that the git has been set up correctly, so I can confirm that ArtifactDB wasn't being included in the source control.

4. rearlegmail

rearlegmail

Unity version 2022.3.4f1 same problem. I do not use git or have not configure it and I just started getting the message. Missing default layout, no valid user or window default layout found. Tried all of the workarounds none work. Copying the default layout from the 5.x folder doesn't work. Not sure what happened as I was working on the project yesterday only things changed were adding the admob SDK 8.30. But I have closed and opened the project a few times and did not have this problem until today. Now just infinite loop message now.

5. EdGray

EdGray

I forgot to update this post. We found the culprit: we were using FMOD and two of the programmers updated it without telling the rest of us, which completely messed things up.

In your case, have you tried deleting the Library folder completely and letting Unity rebuild it?

6. rearlegmail

rearlegmail

***Will give that shot. Lets see what happens.

Yes that worked! thanks.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2023
  7. Shack_Man

Shack_Man

Deleting the library folder worked for me as well, thank you so much. I had encountered the bug before and solved it with the standard layout copying, but for some reason it didn't work anymore.

8. FusionScott

FusionScott

This just started happening to me too in Unity 2022.3.5f1. I also have the Library folder in my .gitignore, but after changing branches I could not get back into Unity. Deleting the Library folder also fixed it for me, but it sure was a big inconvenience. It took forever to relaunch and reconfigure.

junaid109 likes this.
  9. TheAvolition

TheAvolition

This is a lot of text and attitude for an assumption, let alone one that turned out to be incorrect.

10. whyatme

whyatme

I started getting this after updating from 2022.3.2 -> 2022.3.6 and then updating some packages.

Hoping deleting/rebuilding Library will fix

EDIT: Yeah just deleting the library fixed it

Last edited: Aug 8, 2023
  11. Shack_Man

Shack_Man

I think for me it was related to the default layout file getting added to git, and when switching between editor versions with git, something goes wrong. No idea why it's in git in the first place, but adding it to gitignore might solve this.

Certainly one of the most annoying and time consuming bugs, especially when you're using git to jump around to fix another bug and have to wait for your library to rebuild...

12. coldev2

coldev2

“Failed to load window layout” Error
    solution 2022.3.6 and above

• close the unityhub first

solution +A
    -----
    1. in directory %AppData%
    delete all roaming/unity and roaming/unityhub directories
    ----
    2. in unityhub locate your unity.exe path manually
    ----
    3. delete your library directory in project
    ----
    load your project backup in unity again
    ----

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++

solution +B
    -----
    1. uninstall unity and unityhub
    -----
    2. in directory %AppData%
    delete all roaming/unity and roaming/unityhub directories
    -----
    3. in programfilesx86 and programfiles
    delete all unity and unityhub directories
    ---
    install unityhub
    install unity
    ----
    in your project, delete your library directory
    load your project again
    ----

Last edited: Aug 8, 2023
  13. ryan-at-melcher

ryan-at-melcher

Thanks! Deleting the Library folder fixed it for me too.

And for context, my issue issue began after reimporting IronSource IntegrationManager. Unity froze and had to be force quit. Then it started giving this error any time the project was relaunched. None of the older layout file solutions would fix it.

Ben_at_Work, Mest and mfdeveloper like this.
  14. Braza

Braza

Did you actually make it work? I also updated FMOD, got this error. Proceeeded to delete Library folder. It helped to launch but still environment felt corrupted. Some strange consloe errors in th Editor.

15. Junior_Djjr

Junior_Djjr

+1 for FMOD. Caused after updating it, and solved after deleting Library folder.
    Unity 2022.3.7f1

16. Brady

Brady

Had deleted the Oculus Integration SDK then restored it. Solution was to delete it again, re-open the project, then restore it again while the project was open. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

17. AdamBebkoFV

AdamBebkoFV

For me this was caused by having two projects in the same repo, but one project was not yet merged. So switching branches corrupted the unmerged project, and when I switch branches back it couldn't reconcile that. And had to delete/rebuild library.

This is reproducible 100 percent of the time

18. Areltoid

Areltoid

Yeah this guy is always the most frustrating part of searching through forum posts. Also, I can confirm deleting the library folder works. This bug happened to me on the first launch of a brand new project with no source control whatsoever.

PyrokidSosa and h4kdnb like this.
  19. _eternal

_eternal

Can confirm that deleting Library/ArtifactDB solves this problem. In my case, I didn't have to delete the whole Library folder.

Mentioning this because, even though it takes a while to rebuild ArtifactDB, it's probably better than rebuilding your whole Library folder and losing those build caches in the process.

20. trnq1ll0

trnq1ll0

Same Problem here and confirming that deleting Library/ArtifactDB does the trick. I'think it's not a big time saver against deleting the whole Lib because it takes the same amount of time for me.

I have the same problem and can confirm that deleting Library/ArtifactDB fixes the problem. However, I don't think it saves much time compared to deleting the whole lib, because it takes the same amount of time for me.

Dance_M likes this.
  21. BugzTheBunny

BugzTheBunny

NGL got kinda scared when saw this message.
    I'm using my PC at home, and Notebook when traveling to work on my game, and this was the first time I saw this message.

First of all - can confirm, deleted the Library folder and it fixed it, and nothing got corrupted or anything (at least for me).
    I am using Git for SC, but I'm the only user, and there is only a single branch ATM, so I don't really understand how it breaks it.

Pretty weird that this is something common.
    this is not some open source engine that can allow something which is so basic as using git to fk up the ability to start your project.