Search Unity

No Unity 2017.1 beta Linux build?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by oscabrg, May 4, 2017.

1. oscabrg

oscabrg

title says it all

2. rootPL

rootPL

I think until its beta build for windows we can't extect we will have it.
    W8 until official release of 2017.1

3. Latty

Latty

At least for the last release, there was a rather long delay between the Windows release of the first build for the version and the Linux release. After that the versions tend to come relatively closely together. I assume there is some level of crunch for the final Windows release and first beta version, and so the Linux editor gets pushed back.

Edit: Actually, the 5.6 release was simultaneous, it seems. I must be remembering the 5.5 release, which looked to have a gap of around two months (https://blogs.unity3d.com/2016/08/30/get-the-unity-5-5-beta-now/ vs https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/unity-on-linux-release-notes-and-known-issues.350256/#post-2772944). That release was apparently the release that moved to a unified codebase, so it may be that which caused the delay. In this case, it may be the new .net version requires more legwork to port than most features - at a guess.

I am, however, eagerly awaiting this version - currently my tooling is in an awkward state due to needing to support Unity's old .net version. The new beta would solve a lot of my problems (and just make development a lot nicer in general).

There is a Windows beta for 2017.1, in fact there have been a few versions. Historically the Linux editor beta has been released in sync with the Windows beta, and you have not had to wait for full releases.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  4. NathanWarden

NathanWarden

Just be patient, it will come. :)

jason-fisher likes this.
  5. AurimasBlazulionis

AurimasBlazulionis

Yay, it's happening!

wenderRondonia likes this.