Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

No Tiles?

Discussion in '2D' started by Craggerlongclaw, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Craggerlongclaw

Craggerlongclaw

I am new to Unity, and I am following a tutorial, which wants me to create a tile, but when I right-click and hover over "create," "tile" does not show up.

2. eses

eses

@Craggerlongclaw

I have no idea what tutorial you are watching, and what steps you took to create the tile (where do you right click?)...

But in general you can create a new Tile asset, like any asset file, by right clicking in Project view (not scene view) then select Create/Tile from popup menu.

Then you are prompted to browse a folder where to create the tile, do that and also give the Tile a name now or use default name and rename the Tile later.

Edit: Then there is a shortcut - you can also take an existing Sprite asset, and drag that to Tile Palette (Editor window) and this too will prompt you to select a folder where Unity will generate a new Tile asset for you.

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

Make sure the 2D packages are installed in Window/Package Manager.

NenadTR and Craggerlongclaw like this.
  4. Craggerlongclaw

Craggerlongclaw

@eses It will not pop up anywhere in the create menu.

5. eses

eses

@Craggerlongclaw

Which version of Unity are you using? Remember, we can't see your screen...

Like @APSchmidt said, if you are using for example 2019.x you'll have to first open Package Manager, and install 2D Tilemap package.

Then you'll get the Tile and Tilemap options in your menus like I mentioned.

Craggerlongclaw likes this.
  6. Xenosthene

Xenosthene

OK, thanks everyone :)

I had the same problem and could solve it by following these steps :
    - Window > Package Manager
    - In Package Manager : on the right of the "+" sign, I clicked on the small reversed triangle and selected "In Project" (but "All Packages" will obviously work).
    - I clicked on "2D Sprite", then, in the bottom right corner of the window, clicked on "Install"
    - Did the same with the package named "2D Tilemap Editor" (bottom right corner, "Install")
    - Then, I CLOSED Unity and launched it again.

Don't exactly know what did the deal but it did :)

7. rcmportella

rcmportella

You probably created your project in 3D mode. Start a new project in 2D mode.

8. eses

eses

@rcmportella

"You probably created your project in 3D mode. Start a new project in 2D mode."

Well that is pretty much incorrect information - there is no need to ever start a new 2D project - after all, 2D project is just the same project with little bit of different starting configuration - nothing prevents you from changing camera to perspective, add sky gradient and so on.

And if you are missing some package, those can be installed from package manager.

9. cutefunk

cutefunk

Thanks Xenosthene, your suggestion worked for me.

10. Striker131

Striker131

I've been having the same problem, probably the same tutorial (its the ruby tutorial) I have checked every forum, my packages have the two that you mentioned, I'm in the 2020 version, but still in the project when I right click and then go to create, tile is not there, anywhere. I can find tilemap and tile pallette though.

onurhkm88 likes this.
  11. ed_s

ed_s

Unity Technologies

Sorry for the confusion, the Create Menu has been reorganized in 2020.2 and the Ruby Tutorial needs to be updated. To create a Tile asset, you should just drag the sprite that you want to use as a tile into a Tile Palette.

If you want to follow the Ruby Tutorial as it is now, try using Unity 2020.1.x

12. Nikored

Nikored

I had the same problem and solved it like this by chance. Indeed, the tutorial needs to be updated.

DevlinXlll likes this.
  13. ed_s

ed_s

Unity Technologies

Yeah, I've let the team in charge of the tutorials know of the changes; hopefully it'll get updated soon.

RockCreek likes this.
  14. Keram1408

Keram1408

It's September now and still, the same issue is present.
    I think I will not continue the Ruby course and wait for a proper course.
    It's a shame as this is a great course but with the old menu, I'm wasting more time searching where are the proper options than I'm learning.

DevlinXlll likes this.
  15. YoungJoonLilBro

YoungJoonLilBro

Me too. Despite of i'm really thanks to developers who made [Ruby tutorial]. Because they didnt update this tutorial, many option settings are confusing me. I think they have to notice recommend version before we start tutorial. I wasted 1hours just figure out option settings :(

+) There is tutorial versions in [Select your Unity version] tab. But this tab doesn't look like showing recommend version. Because most of the students who are starting this tutorial are beginners, they are not familiar with the whole system. So, developers need to show [Recommend Version] tab clearly.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  16. PozedX

PozedX

has anyone got the solution yet? have been searching it for hours now..

17. eses

eses

"has anyone got the solution yet? have been searching it for hours now.."

Care to elaborate what you have been searching for hours? How to create a tile?

18. cloud_constructor

cloud_constructor

Well in case someone is searching for this here's the solution..
    When you import the gif in the assets>art its just a gif... So first you left click the imported gif so you can see all the suff in the Inspector and then select and change Texture Type to S P R I T E. After that you press Apply and now you can drag this sprite in the tile Palette..

DevlinXlll and akwuo9999 like this.
  19. unity_QxtsSGw-oc17LQ

unity_QxtsSGw-oc17LQ

Adding to this for clarity. When Ruby Tutorial has you in the "Tiles" folder, drag the Tile.png into there and then on an open spot right click > Create > 2D > Tile Palette > Rectangular.

It'll create a blank tile palette. Click the little > arrow and you'll see an icon with cube and curly braces.

Double click on it, and it'll open the blank tile palette in the main area. In the bottom right, you can click and open the tile pallet box where you can drag the Tile.png to. I clicked on Edit before doing so, not sure if it's necessary.

This will open a prompt to save it as a .asset file. Leave the tile palette open, in the top left of the main window you can click MainScene to get back to your main scene. Most of the rest of the instructions are fairly straight forward. You click on the Tile with the > arrow, set the set the pixel per unit for it to 64 and it'll adjust the rest.

At this point I turned the edit off in the tile palette, clicked on Paint with Active Brush, clicked on the tile piece in it, then was able to paint on the grid.

Honestly 90% of game development (or development of any kind) will be solving problems and figuring things out, going through the bad instructions and still making it work correctly is probably really good practice for a more "real" experience.

(Also cloud_constructor's method for drag and drop should be fine too, but just wanted to share what I did)