Search Unity

No Tentacle Sync Timecode in Live Capture

Discussion in 'Virtual Production' started by floatingfactory, Apr 13, 2022.

1. floatingfactory

floatingfactory

I'm trying to get the timecode from the new Tentacle Sync E on the Live Capture Virtual Camera app but nothing shows up.

The Tentacle app runs on an iPhone over Bluetooth and is getting timecode. However, when I open the Virtual Camera app, connect to a server and open the Settings : Timecode drop down, the only options are None or System Clock.

The instructions say:
    1. In each mobile device:

a. In the companion app, select the gear icon at the top left.

b. In Settings, set the Timecode Source to Tentacle Sync.

Maybe I'm missing a configuration step?

2. patbaril

patbaril

Unity Technologies

Hello,
    Quick question, are you running the Tentacle Sync app on the same Iphone running the VCam app?

3. patbaril

patbaril

Unity Technologies

Hello @floatingfactory ,

I just did a test with Virtual Camera version 1.1.1 (latest from the App Store), Live-Capture version 1.1.0 in Unity 2021.3.1 and I can see the Tentacle Sync as my timecode source (see attached screenshot) on both Ipad and Iphone.

Did you gave the Virtual Camera app permission to access Bluetooth? If not you must do so if you want to properly receive timecode information from the Tentacle sync.

Thank you

Attached Files:

4. floatingfactory

floatingfactory

I'm on latest Virtual Camera version from the app store, Unity 2021.3.0f1 and Live Capture 2.0.1

Bluetooth permissions were there, but to to be sure I deleted and reinstalled to make sure I accepted all permissions. Same issue on an iPad and a second phone.

Maybe there is something obvious that I'm overlooking:
    1. Does the tentacle sync software need to be running or specifically not running
    2. Does tentacle sync mode (assuming software running) need to be set to line vs mic (default is auto but maybe that doesn't work)
    3. Does tentacle audio cable need to be plugged in / unplugged (not attached to anything but tentacle warns if not in)
    4. Any phone related issues, wifi only vs cellular
    5. Any other permissions that might be required

PXL_20220425_171252673.jpg PXL_20220425_171227047.jpg

5. floatingfactory

floatingfactory

I also tested w Live Capture v 1.1.0 and no change.

6. patbaril

patbaril

Unity Technologies

@floatingfactory, can you please give me some detail on your Iphone (model and iOS version).

Also, is your Iphone compatible with our Unity Face Capture app? If it has Face ID then it should. I would be curious for you to try the same with the Unity Face Capture app.

To answer some of your questions:

1. No, the Tentacle software does not need to run on your device. But the fact that you can see your device in the Tentacle app tells us that your device (Sync E) is working properly

2. I don't think the sync mode has something to do with the problem, but let me do more tests

3. The Tentacle device does not need to be connected as we are using Bluetooth to communicate with it.

5. Bluetooth permission should make it work.

7. floatingfactory

floatingfactory

Face Capture was the same. I can connect to my server, I can stream blend shapes, but no Tentacle as a timecode source option.

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but one thing I noticed is that the Tentacle Sync doesn't show up in the list of connected Bluetooth devices, even though the Tentacle sync app is connecting to it via Bluetooth.

8. floatingfactory

floatingfactory

Tested on:
    • iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 15.4.1
    • iPad Pro 4th gen, iOS 15.4.1
    • iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 15.4.1

9. patbaril

patbaril

Unity Technologies

@floatingfactory , I have upgraded both my Ipad 7th generation and Iphone XR to iOS 15.4.1.

I have tried both Live-Capture 1.1.0 and 2.0.1 and everything is working fine on both device, I can see my Tentacle device as Timecode source.

I have no clue why we have different results. Can you check which version of Firmware you have on your Tentacle and what hardware revision?

I currently have Firmware version 2.0.0 and Hardware revision 2.03

10. sephli14

sephli14

Hello @patbaril

We are having the same issue with Tentacle and Face Capture app.

May I ask if the test device you have is a Tentacle Sync E mk1?
    We are testing with Tentacle Sync E mkII with latest firmware 1.1.0 but have no luck.

thanks