Search Unity

No stack traces on iOS

Discussion in 'Unity Cloud Diagnostics' started by tiksa, Jan 25, 2017.

1. tiksa

tiksa

Hello all,

I've seen many threads where the problem has been that there are no stack traces on Android. However, we have an iOS Unity app with Performance reporting but we don't get stack traces, at least in most cases.

For example, one of the errors that occur most often is:
    NullReferenceException: A null value was found where an object instance was required.

That was the 'Message', and 'Stack trace' is empty.

One type of the errors is simply with message:
    NullReferenceException
    and no stack trace.

We use Unity 5.4 with IL2CPP.

Any ideas how to fix this? Thank you!

2. thomasn_unity

thomasn_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi tiksa,

This is a known issue. Unfortunately I don't have an estimate on a fix at this time.

3. gegagome

gegagome

I pushed an iOS update using 5.5.1p4 and I am having the same problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks

4. GerardInc

GerardInc

Could this be related to Xcode's bitcode option? Ever since we enabled it, it stopped working. Although we also upgraded Unity to version 5.4.4f1

5. GerardInc

GerardInc

After disabling bitcode, stack traces started to work again.

6. gegagome

gegagome

Interesting. Have to try it in my next update.

Thanks

7. samizzo

samizzo

This is happening to me in 5.4.3f1. So is disabling bitcode the workaround, then? Can someone from Unity look into this?

8. thomasn_unity

thomasn_unity

Unity Technologies

Hmm, somehow I missed the post here that says having bitcode enabled corresponds to whether stack traces are blank. I'll investigate that ASAP.

9. samizzo

samizzo

Thank you!

10. thomasn_unity

thomasn_unity

Unity Technologies

I tested it and unfortunately, having bitcode enabled doesn't cause the missing stack trace issue to reproduce in my test project. If anyone out there has an iOS project that will reliably produce crash reports with empty stack traces, please submit a bug with your project attached.

11. samizzo

samizzo

Thanks. I was actually a bit sceptical that it would make any difference!

12. amjaliks

amjaliks

As I see here is quite a lot of threads related to missing stack traces from iOS builds. And most of these threads end with @thomasn_unity post where he asking to share a project. But this issue seems to be really widespread. I doubt only a small fraction of projects are affected.

From my subjective experience affected builds are the ones distributed through App Store servers (both production and TestFlight builds).
    Local builds deployed directly from Xcode seem to send full stack traces to Performance Reporting. But this is not enough. My local builds appear to be solid as rock and stable as f£%&. :cool: And all "fun" with crashed happens on end-user devices. :(

13. Baraphor

Baraphor

Has there been any update here, I would love to get stack traces for iOS, We have a large project that someone from Unity can look at @thomasn_unity.

14. sevensails

sevensails

I have the same problem on Android. Some very frequent bugs reported with No Stack Trace.

15. RakivEldring

RakivEldring

Necroing the thread since it was the first one that showed in searches.

Still happening with Unity 5.6 and the beta performance reporting board.

Crash reports/boards not that useful without stack traces.

16. kathode

kathode

Bumping to put in a vote. It definitely started happening for me right after enabling bitcode. v5.6.5f1

RakivEldring likes this.
  17. petey

petey

Hey I think I have the same problem, I started using performance reporting on my last update and I was hoping it would help out but I just get messages saying there was a null reference or something but no other information exept for the native stacktrace (which I don't really understand :( ).
    Is this how it's meant to work? Or would you expect to see something similar to the console in Unity with a description of what might have triggered the crash.

18. kathode

kathode

Attaching photos of what I see in performance reporting. If I have bitcode on, I get zero information, and it just lumps any null ref error into one big bucket (first shot). With bitcode off, I at least get a short trace showing me the function where something went wrong (second shot).

no-reporting-info.png some-reporting-info.png

19. samizzo

samizzo

Are you able to submit an xcode project that demonstrates the issue? I think Unity devs would really appreciate that because it's been hard to repro this for them.

Sam