Search Unity

No shadows visible on Transparency Shaders?!!

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by seon, Apr 3, 2008.

1. seon

seon

Hi,

I have some prefabs in my game using the Transparent/Bumped/Diffuse shader, and shadows do not appear on them even though my objects are set to rec. them.

All Transparency shaders are suffering from the same symptom.

Shadows appear fine with just a diffuse/Bumped shader.

Does anyone know of another Transparency shader I can use instead? I have searched the Wiki but nothing there to help.

The white areas of the alpha SHOULD have shadows on it.

Aras? Can you write up an alternative, or point me to where in the shader code I can add something to tell it to pick up shadows ?

Thanks.

vselockov likes this.
  2. User340

User340

I know that Transparent/Cutout/Diffuse shader supports shadows.

3. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

If it was that easy, they would have done it already. ;) Shadows with partial transparency is kind of non-trivial, and you won't really find that in other engines either, that I know of. As Daniel says, you can use the cutout shaders.

--Eric

4. jashan

jashan

From my experience so far, I would say that transparency in itself is already not the most trivial thing inside a game engine ;-)

So I guess combining transparency and shadows is asking for trouble (or creating a really big challenge for yourself ;-) ).

Sunny regards,
    Jashan

5. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Like others have said, yes, Transparent shaders don't cast or receive shadows. See trouble shooting shadows page. Transparent/Cutout shaders do cast receive shadows, because essentially they are opaque shaders, with just some pixels being "discarded" from rendering.

The long boring technical reason for this is:

Shadows work this way (simplified):
    1. render ambient lighting and any non-shadowed objects
    2. for each shadow casting light:
    2.1. render shadow map for this light
    2.2. render objects affected by this light

Note that in 2.2 step objects are rendered in arbitrary order; and the "for each light" in 2 step also happens in arbitrary order. The results will still be correct.

Now, enter transparency. The thing about transparency is that objects have to be rendered strictly back-to-front in order to produce correct results. That means in the above loop, neither 2. step can process lights nor 2.2. step can process objects in arbitrary order; everything has to happen back-to-front over the whole scene.

So in the worst case it could happen:
    1. render ambient lighting and non-shadowed objects
    2. for each transparent object, furthest to closest:
    2.1. for each shadowed light affecting this object:
    2.1.1. render it's shadowmap (potentially whole scene!)
    2.1.2. render object with this shadowmap

In other words, performance here could be horrible. In general shadow case, the scene is rendered up to (light count * constant) counts. In the transparent case, the scene is rendered up to (light count * object count * constant) counts. And it would complicate the hell out of rendering code, which is quite complex already.

_protagonist and account_unity like this.
  6. Santokes

Santokes

Fast foward four years...

We're up to Unity 3.5 now, and alpha blended objects still can't receive shadows. Will this be fixed soon?

Aras your response here is clever, but it only addresses the complexity of shadow-casting alpha objects. Shadow-receiving is much easier. In fact, it's trivial, and doesn't require any change to the rendering pipeline for generating shadowmaps.

So why can't alpha objects receive shadows?

CloudyVR and Sir-Spunky like this.
  7. Marco-Sperling

Marco-Sperling

+1 for semi-transparent objects receiving shadows

8. gtpdzbiz

gtpdzbiz

Bump this.... It shouldn't be hard to get transparent with shadow receive... Maybe consider expose cascade shadow map in the future? Would be great to have these available for glass or particle with shadowing effects.

9. mouurusai

mouurusai

Hi there! That shader from other forum can receive shadow.
    Code (csharp):
    3. Shader "TransparentDiffuse"
    4. {
    5.         Properties
    6.         {
    7.                 _Color ("Main Color", Color) = (1,1,1,1)
    8.                 _MainTex ("Base (RGB) Trans (A)", 2D) = "white" {}
    9.         }
    11.         SubShader
    12.         {
    13.                 Tags {"Queue"="AlphaTest" "IgnoreProjector"="True" "RenderType"="TransparentCutout"}
    14.                 blend SrcAlpha OneMinusSrcAlpha
    16.                 LOD 200
    17.                 ZWrite Off
    18.                 CGPROGRAM
    19.                 #pragma surface surf Lambert exclude_path:prepass
    21.                 sampler2D _MainTex;
    22.                 fixed4 _Color;
    24.                 struct Input
    25.                 {
    26.                         float2 uv_MainTex;
    27.                 };
    29.                 void surf (Input IN, inout SurfaceOutput o)
    30.                 {
    31.                         fixed4 c = tex2D(_MainTex, IN.uv_MainTex) * _Color;
    32.                         o.Albedo = c.rgb;
    33.                         o.Alpha = c.a;
    34.                 }
    35.                 ENDCG
    36.         }
    39.         SubShader
    40.         {
    41.                 Pass
    42.                 {
    43.                         Tags {"Queue"="Transparent" "IgnoreProjector"="True" "RenderType"="Transparent"}
    44.                         ZWrite Off
    45.                         Blend SrcAlpha OneMinusSrcAlpha
    46.                         Material
    47.                         {
    48.                                 Diffuse [_Color]
    49.                                 Ambient [_Color]      
    50.                         }
    51.                         Lighting On
    52.                         SetTexture [_MainTex]
    53.                         {
    54.                                 Combine texture * primary DOUBLE, texture * primary
    55.                         }
    56.                 }
    57.         }
    59. Fallback "VertexLit"
    60. }
    But I no idea how this works, because terminating of (Fallback "VertexLit") part turn of this ability. Manual say "If no subshaders can be run, fallback by used", but obviously, subhader work fine, and no need to be use fallback. Anyone can explain this behavior?

10. Lulucifer

Lulucifer

"RenderType"="TransparentCutout"
    I think it is rendered as cutout,opaque object in fact, try debug it

11. mouurusai

mouurusai

12. nesrocks

nesrocks

Editing the shader like this worked for me (mind you I'm an artist, not a programmer, but this worked). I have a ground grass texture (png) with soft transparency at the edges and opaque in the middle, it has lightmaps generated by unity on UV2, and it correctly receives dynamic hard shadows generated from a directional light and a vertexlit shaded opaque object.

Code (csharp):
    1. Shader "Custom/transparentwithshadow"
    2. {
    3.     Properties
    4.     {
    5.             _Color ("Main Color", Color) = (1,1,1,1)
    6.             _MainTex ("Base (RGB) Trans (A)", 2D) = "white" {}
    7.     }
    9.     SubShader
    10.     {
    11.             Tags {"Queue"="AlphaTest" "IgnoreProjector"="True" "RenderType"="Geometry"}
    12.             blend SrcAlpha OneMinusSrcAlpha
    14.             LOD 200
    15.             CGPROGRAM
    16.             #pragma surface surf Lambert exclude_path:prepass
    18.             sampler2D _MainTex;
    19.             fixed4 _Color;
    21.             struct Input
    22.             {
    23.                     float2 uv_MainTex;
    24.             };
    26.             void surf (Input IN, inout SurfaceOutput o)
    27.             {
    28.                     fixed4 c = tex2D(_MainTex, IN.uv_MainTex) * _Color;
    29.                     o.Albedo = c.rgb;
    30.                     o.Alpha = c.a;
    31.             }
    32.             ENDCG
    33.     }
    34. Fallback "VertexLit"
    35. }

HumanSquid likes this.
  13. FranckS

FranckS

Not being able to receive shadows on semi-transparent object is a real problem in 2014 if you want to do some competitive rendering. I think the whole dynamic shadow system definitely needs an update. This screen space shadow collection seems like a very limiting system. Problems with MSAA, very poor shadow filtering, transparency issues...

Looking forward to an update on this engine part.

14. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

I agree, we need to do some updates to built-in shadows.

Marco-Sperling, bluescrn and Phantomx like this.
  15. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Bump for 5!

Alpha blended objects should at least receive shadow, for example particles in shadow. They don't need to cast so it would be a nice tweak while things are still going.

NeatWolf likes this.
  16. LightStriker

LightStriker

My issue is the other way around... I don't care much about the receiving surface (it's flat and opaque), but I want my casting surface, which is translucent, to cast colored/semi-transparent shadow.

TooManySugar, JoeStrout and dkm like this.
  17. daffodilistic

daffodilistic

This is close to what I need, but I need to have the entire geometry rendered as transparent, and then apply a shadow collector pass, and I'm not sure how to go about doing it. Is there a way to test if a pixel has a shadow on it, and then change that pixel alpha value to 0? o_O

18. deprofundiis

deprofundiis

Will there be anything on this for Unity5 launch? Any improvements to 2D Shadows/Shaders?

19. h.hamm

h.hamm

On PowerVR GPUs (like on iOS devices) you really want to avoid alpha-test (Alpha Cutout) shaders to keep the overdraw optimisation. Therefore it would be really nice if alpha blended geometry could at least receive shadows.

On the other hand, if you seek a solution that will not kill the performance for transparent shadow casters, why not using alpha-cut shaders for those. In that case you could still render everything from front to back or what ever. However the limitation would be that you could not cast semitransparent shadows. And again, on PowerVR devices you will destroy the fancy overdraw optimisation (deferred tile based rendering stuff). But at least for foliage / leafs or fences this should be acceptable.

20. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

I don't get this argument. So on PowerVR GPUs alpha-tested surfaces are slower than opaque surfaces (true). But suggesting to use alpha blended surfaces as a replacement because of this? Bbbbut... alpha blended are just as slow!

i.e. I don't think it's some performance gain there from switching from alpha test -> alpha blend. Or am I missing something?

21. Fujisama

Fujisama

I don't know if i'm on the right topic, I need to receive shadows on a transparent material.

I'm quite a noob in shaders, do you think it's possible to receive a shadow on my transparent plane in the middle from the cube ?

cast shadows.png

I'm using a spotlight in UnityPro with deferred lighting with this shader:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Shader "FX/Matte Shadow Mask" {
    3. Properties {
    4.     _Color ("Main Color", Color) = (1,1,1,1)
    5.     _MainTex ("Base (RGB) Trans (A)", 2D) = "white" {}
    6.     _Cutoff ("Alpha cutoff", Range(0,1)) = 0.5
    7. }
    9. SubShader {
    10.     Tags {"Queue" = "Geometry-10" "IgnoreProjector"="True" "RenderType"="TransparentCutout"}
    11.     LOD 200
    12.     Blend Zero SrcColor
    13.     Lighting Off
    14.     ZTest LEqual
    15.     ZWrite On
    16.     ColorMask 0
    18. Pass {}
    20. CGPROGRAM
    21. #pragma surface surf ShadowOnly alphatest:_Cutoff
    22. fixed4 _Color;
    24. struct Input {
    25.     float2 uv_MainTex;
    26. };
    28. inline fixed4 LightingShadowOnly (SurfaceOutput s, fixed3 lightDir, fixed atten)
    29. {
    30.     fixed4 c;
    31.     c.rgb = s.Albedo*atten;
    32.     c.a = s.Alpha;
    33.     return c;
    34. }
    36. void surf (Input IN, inout SurfaceOutput o) {
    37.     fixed4 c = _LightColor0 + _Color;
    38.      o.Albedo = c.rgb;
    39.      o.Alpha = 1;
    40. }
    41. ENDCG
    43. }
    44. Fallback "Transparent/Cutout/VertexLit"
    45. }
    Any help would be appreciated, Thanks in advance.

22. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I think he is referring to Apple's OpenGL ES Programming Guide for iOS - Tuning Your OpenGL ES App: Hidden Surface Removal document, where they write:
    I spent the whole last week measuring performance of Unity's 4.6 built-in shaders on various iOS devices. The cutout shaders perform almost the same as the alpha-blend ones on iPad Air 2, iPhone 6 and iPhone 5S. On older/other devices, such as the iPad Air, the cutout shader perform much worse than the transparent ones!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  23. noio

noio

So. Does the fact that Transparent objects can't cast shadows also prevent them from writing to the Depth Texture (when using DepthTextureMode.Depth) somehow?

I truly cannot figure out how to make sprites write to a depth texture that I can use later. Unless I set the shader's Queue to AlphaTest, but that messes up my ordering.

TooManySugar likes this.
  24. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Whether a pixel is written to the depth buffer is controlled by ZWrite in a shader. You can make a transparent shader write to the depth buffer, but as soon as a surface drawn by this shader isn't opaque, thus transparent, you get various visual glitches.

25. AustinRichards

AustinRichards

Shadows from transparent shadows are supported on unity 5 ;-), as well as the shadow strength depending on the opacity.

26. Yann

Yann

I just posted a request for a shadow catcher shader in the Asset Store "wishlist" thread... but if it could be part of Unity 5 built-in shaders, it would be even better :)

27. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Shadows on semitransparent objects are high on the list of things we want to improve in the shadows area. But definitely after 5.0.

28. Yann

Yann

Great news, Aras, thanks a lot for the info !

29. 00yoshi

00yoshi

Transparent shadows are caustics afaik

30. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

31. 00yoshi

00yoshi

32. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

No, caustics are concentrated spots of light because light refracted through something (like a curved glass/water surface). In essence they are the opposite of shadows - they are typically brighter than the area in the shadow. Look at the first image in the wikipedia article I linked to - the dark shadow from the glass is the shadow. The bright curvy pattern is the caustic.

In any case, caustics have nothing to do with the topic of this thread I think.

33. HumanSquid

HumanSquid

This is awesome. I've been looking for something like this to use on my character when the camera zooms in close and I need to fade him MMO style but still cast shadows

34. antislash

antislash

seriously ??
    unity 5 has nice PBS and GI stuff but custom transparent or cutout shaders cant receive shadows or self-shadow ?
    really ??
    seems like a Ferrari with Fiat 500 tyres !!

i was so glad i did a moss shader, but so disaponted it can't receive shadows.....
    back to vertex lighting

Attached Files:

35. Glader

Glader

Hi guys, anyone found a decent solution for this yet?

I too need to blend multiple textures according to an alpha map on a single mesh. The way that I've accomplished this is using alpha:fade and blending by alpha, I guess, just starting writing shaders last week so this terminology may be incorrect.

The issue I've encountered I believe is the same as discussed in this post. The surfaces don't seem to receive shadows no matter how hard or what I try. Being that I'm inexperienced I doubt I'll find a solution so my last resort is to hope either Unity has a solution on the way or someone has found a way to alphablend textures while still receiving shadows.

36. echo4papa

echo4papa

It can be done, just not without it's problems. Set the render queue in the shader to anything before transparent(I find alpha test works well enough). There's still some sorting issues, but it can work.

37. antislash

antislash

i have a transparent surf shader that has 2 layers , one with vertex displacrement and transparency, i used this and it worked well
    Tags {"Queue"="AlphaTest+50" "IgnoreProjector"="True" "RenderType"="TransparentCutout"}
    the 2 surfaces receive shadows (but the transparent doesn't cast them).

38. Lex-DRL

Lex-DRL

So here we are again...
    It's almost 10 years o_O since this thread was opened (8.5, to be precise) and the issue is still in the exactly same state as it was back then: not even going to be solved ever.

The only solution is to use "AlphaTest+50" dirty hack (with Transparent render type) which will ruin the rendering order completely (and, btw, for some reason it doesn't work in surface shader in U5). :confused:

Unity-style, as always. :(
    Sometimes you're so desperately tired of this "never fixed issues" stuff that you really start hoping for Unreal to become more mobile-targeted, so we could just switch to it.

39. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

Well as you get the same issue in Unreal then what would be the good of that?

40. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Let's not do the whole ue4 vs unity thing yet again. Shadows on alpha blended objects are required and Unity knows this. It's also non trivial to solve.

antislash likes this.
  41. Plutoman

Plutoman

I did it by custom shadowmaps, sampling the shadowmaps directly, for each shadowmap, in the transparent shaders. So basically, the processing is increased linearly with the number of shadowed light sources within the range. 10 light sources? 10x the render time, per transparent object (sort of, I mean, GPU's don't strictly follow that, but it's running the same code 10 times, per say). I generally restrict the number of objects however to the important objects and since the number of transparent objects is small, it is not that bad.

Having transparent objects 'cast' shadows... is extraordinarily non-trivial. That's probably why they haven't done anything with it.

42. Zergling103

Zergling103

+1 on transparent objects being able to receive shadows. When is that happening?

Keep in mind, we understand that there is a distinct difference between transparent objects being able to cast shadows and transparent objects being able to receive shadows.

The former is very complex. It'd be nice, sure, but I think I am speaking for most of us when I say we don't really care about it -- the tremendous amount of work to get something like that in is probably not worth it.

The latter, however? I can't for the life of me imagine what sort of technical limitation would prevent that from working simply. Spotlights, for example, can project shadow-like areas of dark and light through the use of a cookie. Yes, sampling from a light cookie is different than sampling from a shadow map, but not in a way that should matter in this case.

In the case of a shadow map you are comparing the depth of the pixel being rendered (which can be calculated for both transparent objects and opaque objects by, for example, using the worldPos at each pixel) to the depth stored in the shadow map.

I recall something similar being done by an asset, "V-Light" - it'd draw a series of semitransparent planes in front of the light source and use percentage-closer filtering to cast soft shadows through them - which is basically the same stuff unity's lights use.

But yeah, I can't figure out what sort of technical limitation would keep Unity from having transparent objects receive shadows by now, given that it is already possible for transparent objects to be affected by cookies. Please help me understand what the difficulty is.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  43. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

[q]But yeah, I can't for the life of me imagine what sort of technical limitation would keep Unity from having transparent objects receive shadows by now[/q]
    The only real difficulty is the way we do directional light shadows at the moment. We render cascaded shadow map, and then compute "screenspace shadow buffer" (very similar to how many other games e.g. GTA5 do it). This is the step that gathers the shadow cascades, does 5x5 PCF filtering etc. Later on, in the regular objects that receive shadows, we need to only sample that single pixel from the screenspace buffer.

The above does not work for transparencies though, since by now there isn't "just a single point in the world" for each pixel on screen.

So for transparencies to work, the shaders would need to know about the original shadow cascade render targets, and to know about the cascade matrices etc., and do that complicaded "which cascade to sample from" and PCF filtering directly in the shader. Not rocket surgery, but just does not happen all by itself. We plan to look into it soon, but I'm not doing it personally so no promises.

44. Zergling103

Zergling103

Thank you for the concise answer. :) I had completely forgotten about shadow cascades though which is what made it seem like it'd be easier to do than it is. Though there is one point that's kind of unclear still:

I've gathered that this far is that there is an inherent incompatibility between transparent objects, and caching surface values to a screenspace buffer (IE deferred rendering): Transparent surfaces violate the requirement that at any given pixel there is only one visible surface. This is also why with deferred rendering, MSAA is not possible.

Of course, transparent objects can be drawn in any pipeline, so transparent objects must therefore use forward rendering after all the opaque stuff is out of the way. The forward rendering pipeline (correct me if I'm wrong) makes no such use of screenspace buffers -- instead values like normals, shadow maps, etc. are calculated for each pixel, then discarded after the pixel is drawn.

So, to summarize my confusion:

- Transparent objects cannot be rendered using screenspace buffers.
    - However, the forward rendering pipeline does not use screenspace buffers. (Or does it?)
    - Opaque objects rendered in the forward pipeline may receive shadows from opaque objects.
    - Transparent objects are always rendered in the forward pipeline.

- Therefore, transparent objects should be able to receive shadows from opaque objects, yet this is not currently possible.

I'm trying to close this gap, but my best guess is that even with forward rendering, shadows are rendered into a separate buffer first as you said. In which case even the forward pipeline is semi-deferred, and that is probably where the confusion lies in all of this.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  45. jmargaris2

jmargaris2

Looking for guidance on a related issue.

I have some water. I want it to receive a shadow, because without shadows casting on it it looks very weird in my scene. The way I'm doing this is I render the water in the geometry pass. So far so good. The water renders a buffer of the scene beneath the water, to do the "transparency." (This is in quotes because the water is not technically transparent, it just LOOKS transparent)

I want to make the water more or less "transparent" based on depth - to do this I need the depth buffer to not include water.

The problem is that _CameraDepthTexture includes water, since it's part of the opaque pass, so I have to render my own depth buffer which is essentially the same.

This is starting to get really inefficient - I render a reflective pass, a refractive pass, and my own depth buffer. Is there any way to reduce this? It seems like the options would be:

1. Render the water in the transparent pass so that it doesn't write to the depth texture, but somehow bind the shadow map to it so I can still do shadow stuff in it.

2. Render the water in the opaque pass, but somehow make it not part of the built in _CameraDepthTexture

3. Render the scene without the water, then render the water separately afterwards, clipping against the depth. Using this approach I wouldn't have to render a refractive texture, because I could just use the render for that. (Assuming I rendered it to a rendered texture, it would serve as my refractive texture as well) I would still need a way to bind the shadow map here to get shadows on it - this would be a shadow map from a different camera or something weird like that...

Any ideas?

Edit: If I make my water shader RenderType "Transparent" it doesn't seem to get rendered into the DepthNormalsTexture (At least the normals part of it anyway) However it still does get rendered into the _CameraDepthTexture

TL;DR: I need a way to access the shadow map from water, or a way to make things in the GeometryPass not render into the _CameraDepthTexture

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  46. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

ZWrite Off

Try using that in your shader.

47. jmargaris2

jmargaris2

Unfortunately that doesn't work, I assume because the _CameraDepthTexture is made using replacement shaders or some kind of prepass. (Some old console hardware had a special z-prepass thing you could do)

48. Alexsandro-Natsume

Alexsandro-Natsume

if i had a way to get the shadow map that is used in the RenderShadowmapDir timing (see at the frame Debugger)
    i could do the shadowing manually, but looks like i we cant get this texture ...

49. maruska

maruska

Has anyone ever figured out a workaround for this? I'm working on an AR project with dynamic lighting, and would like to cast shadows on an invisible table to composite against the live video. Ideally it would support multiple light sources. Deferred v. forward is less critical.

J.

50. bgolus

bgolus

This case is somewhat easier. The real problem isn't that you can't have transparent objects receive shadows, it's that transparent objects can't receive shadows and have something else receive shadows beyond it. The transparent object will essentially eat all the shadows for that pixel. I believe there's some threads on shadow matte shaders you can look for.