Search Unity

Bug No shadows on URP

Discussion in 'VR' started by Liminal-Ridges, Nov 30, 2022.

1. Liminal-Ridges

Liminal-Ridges

I have a urp project for quest 2. In unity the shadows work fine (id like to be able to increase the strength more), on the device they are nonexistent. Any idea? I use point lights. Box lights are enabled.

2. DevDunk

DevDunk

Which unity version?
    Vulkan or OpenGL?
    Single pass/multiview or multipass?
    Did you also try to get shadows with spotlights or directional light? (point lights are crazy expensive btw)
    Do you use the same Graphics quality tier in both editor and android? If not, do that

3. Liminal-Ridges

Liminal-Ridges

I have been using unity for 11 years and didnt know you can change platform default quality. Lights fixed but the shadows are weak. I have strength to 1. Is there a way to make them more visible? Im on Unity latest LTS, with openGL3 and multiview. Problem is now the camera movement very laggy. I guess its the fps low

4. DevDunk

DevDunk

1. What do you mean stronger? Do you mean more visible? If so, go to lighting settings - environment and here change ambience lighting and other parameters
    2. That could be. Quest standalone isn't that strong and needs a lot of optimization. Running the profiler might help (or hire me if needed (; )

5. Liminal-Ridges

Liminal-Ridges

Thank you but that didnt work. Ambient color just makes the whole scene darker. I managed to increase the fps with baked light :D

DevDunk likes this.
  6. DevDunk

DevDunk

Baked always is better for performance. Using BakedLit shaders will be an even bigger move

7. Liminal-Ridges

Liminal-Ridges

Unfortunately that shader is S***. Thankfully Lit does the job without dropping the fps! Problem is my line renderer (mobile>particles>additive) and textmeshpro texts are invisible now

8. Liminal-Ridges

Liminal-Ridges

also when baking it only bakes shadows for one light source in the scene, i got two point lights

9. DevDunk

DevDunk

Make sure they're static as well and set to baked

10. Liminal-Ridges

Liminal-Ridges

both static and baked but only one shadows baked. maybe its a setting in light settings? also baking seems to remove smoothness from the materials

11. Liminal-Ridges

Liminal-Ridges

alright i managed to solve most problems but for some reason lighting is dead on device. Works fine on unity tho here are the settings https://imgur.com/a/HiVZbEw

UPDATE: checking mixed lights fixed it

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
  12. Liminal-Ridges

Liminal-Ridges

Sorry to bother @DevDunk im having problems with unitys retarded light system again. Its dead. Point light in vr. Any ideas?

13. DevDunk

DevDunk

If you need help be specific.
    1. What does it's dead mean?
    2. Is there a specific lighting system which is retarded? Doesn't really help to clarify

14. Liminal-Ridges

Liminal-Ridges

i have a vr project that uses urp and a single point light in the scene. It works in unity but when deployed on the device its disabled. I tried every relative setting but nothing. It seems to be a bug specific to point lights cause directional light works

15. DevDunk

DevDunk

Remove all graphics quality tiers except one. Additional lights probably are just disabled on the android tier

16. Liminal-Ridges

Liminal-Ridges

yea that was it. But i had the high quality set to default tho

17. DevDunk

DevDunk

Maybe not for android?

18. Liminal-Ridges

Liminal-Ridges

it was i double checked. Anyway thanks again great guy happy new year!

19. Deleted User

Deleted User

Have the same behaviour. Even though the highest quality is selected by default for Android, it is switched to lowest in builds. Quest 2.

20. DevDunk

DevDunk

Also if you remove all other graphics tiers and have selected the high quality urp asset in proj settings - Graphics?

21. Deleted User

Deleted User

No, if I remove everything except High Quality then High Quality is selected in the build, just like in your case.