Search Unity

No shadow in oculus quest.

Discussion in 'VR' started by Metaclay, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Metaclay

Metaclay

Hi , i'm trying to build from unity to oculus quest. I have couple of problems :

1. when build and run on oculus , there's no shadow . It's just simple scene with couple of objects. I can see the shadow in unity, but when run inside oculus , the shadow is just dissapeared.

2. How to build and run from unity and see the feedback in unity . I saw some videos on youtube, when the 'play' button (on top of unity) is pressed , the app is run in oculus and the view feedback is sent back to unity, so i can see what someone see inside the oculus headset. I'm using unity latest version on mac/osx catalina.

Does anyone can help ?

Thanks
    Andi

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

That's normal. The Quest is a mobile device, and it has to maintain 72 fps; there is no time for things like shadows. Some games (like QuiVr Vanguard) fake it using blob projectors, but as you're new to Unity, you shouldn't worry about that yet.

No, you can't do that. What you saw was something else (probably Oculus Rift and Windows).

3. pdehn

pdehn

Expanding on 1, the default quality settings (look in Edit > Project Settings... > Quality) have shadows disabled. You can enable them, but vast majority of Quest games won't because it costs too much frame time. Baked shadows are generally ok though (using lightmaps still has a cost, but it's nowhere near dynamic shadows).

For 2, it's sort of possible, but only in Windows.

Oculus Link let's you use the Quest as if it were a Rift headset connected to your computer. If you have it enabled you can run your application in the editor and see it on your Quest. Note that the Quest is acting like a "dumb" viewer when used like this, everything is still running on your computer. This can be useful for some quick iteration, but you'll still need to separately build and test on the Quest.