Search Unity

Feedback No progress bar when installing new version

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by MarkrosoftGames, May 22, 2019.

1. MarkrosoftGames

MarkrosoftGames

When you go to install a new version, all you get is an infinite style loading bar that gives no actual indication to the current step or progress. I was pretty sure this was in the last version, so why is it gone now? Is it at the beginning of downloading a large amounts of files? Is it almost at the end of the actual installation? Who knows now. Before maybe I had an idea of how long it would take so I could go do something else and come back to check on it, but now its a total random crap shoot.

2. afshinity

afshinity

Unity Technologies

Hi MarkrosoftGames,

The behavior is the same as v1. Over there we were showing the text "installing...", and in v2, it showing that indeterministic loading bar.
    The installation is a combination of unzipping, copying, writing to the registry, etc. and depending on the machine and OS platform it can be different, that's why it is almost impossible to guess how much more is left. We can probably "guesstimate" how long it takes, but it is not going to be accurate.

We will think about it to see how we can show the progress of install in a better way.

Best,
    Afshin

3. GregHib

GregHib

Second this, should I sit here and wait 10 minutes or come back in 10 hours? I have no idea. What if I want to pause the download and resume it later so I can let it install overnight?

Not a good first impression, ended up cancelling after 30 minutes and starting over skipping the "install wizard", slightly better experience with that, although still not nearly enough user information feedback.

Plains likes this.
  4. mumchebhichelax

mumchebhichelax

You just have to indicate what the installer is doing right now. Is it downloading something? How much is left to download? Or is it performing some generic installation step, ie unzipping, writing to registry etc.? With no feedback, it feels like the progress is stuck somewhere.

Plains and unity_rpxB-v9FncgP8A like this.
  5. Rasikananda

Rasikananda

Not giving a progress indicator is very bad UX design. Removing control and information from users is always bad. If people don't want to see it, make it optionally visible, but never leave users in the dark on the processes going on.