Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

No Paypal anymore in the asset store?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by RandAlThor, Aug 19, 2011.

1. BHS

BHS

Okay, all sounds good but since you're implementing this new system can we have monthly payments? It's kind of absurd that we have to wait a 1/4 of a year to recieve our payments. If you guys could do us the favor of just that than I'd be okay with the new system. Yeah it's great for the buyers but what does it do for the sellers? Just makes us loose some business.

All these ideas and systems are for the buyers but not for the sellers we are the most important because we create content. Your going to start loosing a lot of people to other sites if you don't change things.

Whoever agrees please say so.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  2. Dreamora

Dreamora

@nicholas: is there a more detailed breakdown on this percentage? especially if it was basically one category that "overperformed"?

@ik animation: I agree, if payment changes and the handling then it should for all sides that are impacted by it
    But if you point out issues you should potentially work on yours too and stop missusing your signature as a "full page height billboard" only cause the UT board moderators and board programmers didn't act on that end either ;)

3. Rafes

Rafes

+1 dreamora

+1 Monthly payments

4. sp00ks222

sp00ks222

after reading this link-about unity 3.5 and a web developer myself, I am not upset of them taking away paypal, it usually is my choice of payment, but if I trust the site enough (amazon as an example) i don't mind using my CC. 3.5 features look awesome btw.

5. Gaspedal

Gaspedal

Exactly!
    No Paypal - no purchases for me. I will not use credit card.

6. nipoco

nipoco

Ok, it's not the topic of that thread. But since I got no answer here, I trying it here now. Seems more lively:)

So my question is, what options are available to get paid as a developer? Is it possible to get paid through wire?

7. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

U.S. check and PayPal.

--Eric

8. houndie

houndie

Once Paypal has been removed as a payment option I will only go to the creator of the asset and purchase directly from them, thereby the creator gets instant payment and Unity will receive none. I'm only one person so therefore it won't hurt Unity i'm sure because according to them the majority are happy with this change.

9. nipoco

nipoco

Thanks Eric!
    Too bad there is no wire transfer option.

10. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

I'm with you on this...

11. Rafes

Rafes

I was just wondering if Unity will allow us to advertise that Paypal customers can visit our website. Since there would be no competition, it would be reasonable IMO.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  12. Samb88

Samb88

@all
    I'm on the paypal side here. My solution for all this: The WebPlayer preview of my asset store items will be on a real site with a big fat paypal button on it.. So yes, I think unity will be fine with that.

13. Wild-Factor

Wild-Factor

I myself already bought more than 100$ on developper website last week using Paypal (skipping the horrible and slow asset store).

14. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

At the risk of sounding pedantic, there are a few issues here...

The first is buying direct from the developer.

Regardless of anything that the asset store has to offer, people should ALWAYS buy direct from the developer if possible. This does two things: Higher return to the developer (sorry UT, love ya', but it's economics), and we want our developers to make more stuff for us! Support them. But more importantly for you, especially when buying code, you get a much closer relationship between you and the developer, which the asset store cannot provide. The asset store does not provide activation codes or other proof of purchase, and all updates go through the asset store. These need to be vetted by UT and need to be release versions, not betas. It is impossible to participate in beta programs when purchasing thru the asset store. And asset store users are often significantly behind direct sales users when it comes to code. That being said, you get the anonymity and data protection provided by UT, whereas when you purchase direct from the developer, each one could have (legitimate) acess to some of your information, including real name, address, and other bits and pieces including some cc and/or bank account details.

The unfortunate bottom line of business: now the people here that are developers selling material should certainly get this. When making a decision like UT has, one must realise that they are looking at the best way to maximise profitability, just like the selling developers are. If dumping PayPal means a loss of sales from one group of buyers that is unfortunate. If, on the other hand, that new system increases overall sales (in this case through impulse buys and increased exposure), and that increase in sales more than makes up for the loss in sales by people who refuse to use anything other than PayPal, then it makes economic sense to move to this new system - even if it annoyes a minority of customers (sorry, folks, love ya, but that's business).

Ultimately someone will have your details. You have to give your banking details to PayPal even if you don't have a CC. PayPal is certainly convenient. The Asset Store is becoming far more Apple iTunes-like with each update, which is probably more good than bad. Buy direct from the developer whenever you can. Be pleased that UT is streamlining the Asset Store.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  15. Gaspedal

Gaspedal

I will do it too

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  16. Wild-Factor

Wild-Factor

Or UT are middleware developper and maybe they didn't have the experience in selling online goods...

Or maybe every major online marchand that have several years of experience and sold 100 times more are wrong in using paypal and they should all use the solution of the UT Guys small shop :)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  17. BHS

BHS

Yes to everyone, since Unity took away paypal people who buy my products can by direct from my site and I have paypal! Here: Black Horizon Studios Store

We are not bound by any contract with Unity they even said we can sell on other sites, so why not sell on our own? I'm keeping my prices the same, since they said we can't have cheaper prices (which I think is bs) were not bound to anything does that mean we can lower our prices?

18. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Unity are bringing back paypal eventually. They just want this fixed first. See their blog.

If there is a clause like that in a contract and you breach it, it means the other party takes that as breach of contract. This could mean the other party can also charge what they want and in some cases if they like, not pay you. You don't actually have a legal leg to stand on because you are in breach of a contract you agreed to. You broke the contract.

So just bear that in mind first. A contract is not something you are allowed to change.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  19. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Yes you are. http://download.unity3d.com/assetstore/asset-store-provider-distribution-agreement.pdf

They didn't say that. What they said (though not part of the contract) was that drastically undercutting a competing product is discouraged, but that only applies within the asset store, nothing to do with external sites.

--Eric

20. BHS

BHS

Alright then that answers my questions. That's why I had a lot of ?'s is because I wasn't sure. Thanks for straightening things out. Though I do some things may have changed since its been many months since I've read that.